DT Swiss 240s MTB Hubs

Clint Adams

I think those hubs are sub-standard and here's why.

1) Front hubs are front hubs. It's a tube, with two bearings either side and a little hole for the skewer to go through. What can go wrong? Of course they're smooth. The bearings are still within their useful life.

2) Rear hubs are a different story. The freehub body needs to rotate independently of the wheel and this requires a bearing of sorts and a seal between the hub body and freehub body. In the case of DT Swiss, they have two systems - the old Hugi system where the freehub body has two cartridge bearings and a clutch. Kinda OK, but prone to water contamination and rust then affects the clutch.

The other system, I think the 240 uses that system, the freehub body relies on an outboard cartridge bearing and an inboard roller bearing. The latter is rubbish. The seals are made from Swiss cheese - the type with the big holes in it. The rollers rust at a sniff of moist air and then rumble. It is a proprietary part. Proprietary parts are evil.

Get something that uses standard bearings througout and seals that keep water out, not in.

So in your professional opinion which hubs are the ones to go for. From reading all the replys and also from my own experiance of the Dt Swiss 240s hubs they seem to have little maintanence and run well for ages without the need for a service.

Im just curious as I need new hubs for my hardtail? :unsure:

Had to service them after about 18 months of hard racing & training. Easy to service yourself. Get the bearings, a circlip pliers, download the "how to" and off you go.

Go get them!

Remind us again how you removed the inboard bearing on the wheel itself? If the 240 is like Dangle says, the one with the clutch, that bearing requires a special tool. Furhter, the designers forgot the engineering rule of never supporting a torque load on fine thread. Getting that bearing out is usually a tool-destroying, vein-popping experience.

So in your professional opinion which hubs are the ones to go for. From reading all the replys and also from my own experiance of the Dt Swiss 240s hubs they seem to have little maintanence and run well for ages without the need for a service.

Im just curious as I need new hubs for my hardtail? :unsure:

I'll give you my personal opinion. Professional opinions cost money.

Actually, I don't have a clear favourite at the moment. I'm a Shimano/Campag fan - anything with cup-and cone bearings. However, owners of these wheels need to have a feel for things mechanical and must service them in time. In time means before the races are destroyed by water or broken balls. You have to spin them in your hand when you wash your bike to get a feel for their condition. If you dont have this touch, cartridge bearing hubs are for you.

Which cartridge bearing hub? I dunno....but not DT Swiss, their engineering flaws are just too obvious and serious. Maybe Hope. I'm never faced with this dilemma since my Shimano hubs just go and go and go and go. Customers make their own decisions and I just build whatever they want.

Has anyone had experience with the durability of Hope hub freehub body mechanisms? I haven't openend a used one yet.