Post-race depression

cat-i

What about during-race depression, when you realise you're not making your intended time, that the finish line is a lot further than you thought, and you're feeling a little bonked?

In my opinion there is something seriously wrong with you if you get depressed while on the bike ;)

You may get tiered, demotivated or pessimistic, but depressed I doubt it.

There are to many hormones and adrenaline released during excersise to get depressed.

Even after a bad ride with rain or wind, I still feel pumped up during and afterwords.

I think I might be addicted to that feeling, that is why I get cranky if more than 2 days pass without me being on the bike!

When feeling down, I jump on the bike and the world start looking rosier again!

I just get depressed after the race when I see how far the winner was in front of me :D

Buying stuff for the bike is definately the right medicine/cure :)

I get it badly on rest days - had to rest for 3 days this week due to overtraining and just being knackered.

Been depressed and in a bad mood but this is not unusual for me, I get very irritable and depressed even on rest days during my normal training regime.

Carine, does it keep you up at night?

Firstly it's a sign of really enjoying the race/trip. after finishing FC08 on a really emotional high I had one day off and then was straight back in the office. About four days later the novelty had worn off and I realised:"my life actually hasn't changed at all!" The reality is that it had, and I just had to look at my job from a different perspective - I lasted another year there before it was really time to move on.

My best advice is to turn the longing feelings into positive activities. ie. Planning the next one. You'll always have the memories, and its a lot of fun trying to top it. Try and assess what you learnt from the race/trip and use the knowledge to do better next time.

Steve

ps. there is a lot out there, and every experience is different in its own way. So you have NEVER done it all, ja not even Martin Dreyer.

haha it does keep me up - and there's very few people on the hub at 1 in the morning

there was no 'down' after joberg2c or even after 3 weeks of absolutely stunning (and sometimes hard) mountain biking in the himalayas - there probably also wasn't the 'balancing everything to get training in' that the article talked about (i should probably have trained more!) - it was maybe just too much in too short a time - swazi xtreme (pro lite) one weekend, and transbaviaans the very next weekend with no time inbetween to catch up on missing sleep - but ride2rhodes was harder - and more enjoyable - and didn't get it after that?

LOL at never done it all - you've pretty much covered a good bit of what's out there?