super super cheap Specialized epic

dcal

dcalitz...I think you are onto something there...but even if we need to pay a deposit then that'll be ok as well...

I would still be more interested in a bike though...

And those prices are about half (roughly) of what the groupset goes for on BuyCycle (and they are usually lank cheap) :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we can sign an agreement with the seller and only pay for it when we physically have it in our hands.

that's the only option to not get scammed

we can sign an agreement with the seller and only pay for it when we physically have it in our hands.

that's the only option to not get scammed

Lets assume this guy is legit, and some guy from Africa says send me the bike then i'll pay you, what do you think he's going to do?

Lets assume this guy is legit, and some guy from Africa says send me the bike then i'll pay you, what do you think he's going to do?

As far as I know, you can specify ESCROW payment on Alibaba, where they don't release payment to the supplier before you confirm delivery. I did this once for sunglasses and when the supplier did not ship, the money was paid back into my Paypal account. I am not sure if all suppliers on Alibaba agree to escrow though, but it would be safest to specify this before purchasing anything !

I did a bit of research and turns out Alibaba is a haven for scams, they will send you shiping certificates, sms landing dates etc, but at the end you will never get your goods. So be careful.

emotion cycling(cervelo...) is there somewhere......worlds largest online market.

most should be the reral deal but with most things you always get the scams...

give it a try and let everyne know if its legit or not.

Hello,

So I asked for the components of the XT groupset and he sends me this. I'll take that at $420 thank you.

Componets:

Group includes-

• XTR M970 crankset with 44/32/22 rings

• XTR Hollowtech II bottom bracket

• XTR M975 STI shift/ brake units for Hydraulic brakes.

• Front and rear XTR M975 hydraulic disc calipers and centre lock rotors

• XTR M970 (low normal) or M971 (high normal) rear derailleur

• XTR M970 (dual pull) or M971 (high clamp) front derailleur

• XTR M970 cassette

• Shimano 7701 XTR/Dura Ace chain

I'm a bit sceptic though

shipping $30usd.

I enquired about bikes like this ages ago...they were SL2's at the time dirt cheap.

So the guy sends me an invoice, it's a jpeg of a scanned invoice and then modified with my details.

The address was in Indo somewhere so I used google earth to find it. It wasn't even a business district but looked to be a housing area.

A good friend of mine goes to Indo to buy textiles so he asked his agent there to check out the address.

Nothing matched up:

The address was a housing area

The invoice was faked/photoshopped

and the telephone numbers supplied did not match the area code for the address given (think dialling 011 for a CT address)

I searched a lot of forums like this one and most people were scammed. plus Paypal will not cover you against fraud on there.

If it's too good to be true then it usually is.

With Escrow, the payment gets held by a third party untill the buyer receives the goods. If he doesn't receive it, escrow returns the money to the buyer. Relatively safe i think?

Turns out the guy with the groupset is a fake, theres a website called www.alibabascams.com where they list all of the reported scammers. I searched for Scott Scale 899 on Alibaba and all the suppliers are also on that list. There's another guy on Aliexpress, which is kinda like ebay, who is definately legit but his prices are only marginally better than CRC, shipment is cheaper though. But I'd rather pay a bit more and be sure about the supplier.

His name is Dominic Robin if someone wants to check out his store.