MTBR.com Best chain lube of 2010 award!

Chain-L

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the US cyclocross champ also uses it.

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2010/10/05/1/katie_compton_stevens_chain_600.jpg

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/pro-bike-katie-comptons-planet-bike-stevens-cyclocross-carbon-team/144434

Thats really impressive. Its great to see a product from South Africa giving the Yanks a run for their money... Today I feel somewhat "Proudly Souf Efrikan" :rolleyes:

Have you ever wondered why they (you know who) have a person lubing your bike at every waterpoint during a sponsored race? Do you carry lube with you when you do a training ride and stop every 30km for a lube? Why?? It is not neccesary.

I prefer to do the Karoo to Coast and another 100km in training rides thereafter on the same pre Karoo to Coast lube application. Less hassle, less worries, less screatchie chain, less lube consumed.

Ever wonder what they pay the guy to have the sticker on his bike? ever wonder if he actually uses it? What does he use in wet conditions? Just want to get you guys thinking and experimenting.

Have you ever wondered why they (you know who) have a person lubing your bike at every waterpoint during a sponsored race? Do you carry lube with you when you do a training ride and stop every 30km for a lube? Why?? It is not neccesary.

I prefer to do the Karoo to Coast and another 100km in training rides thereafter on the same pre Karoo to Coast lube application. Less hassle, less worries, less screatchie chain, less lube consumed.

Ever wonder what they pay the guy to have the sticker on his bike? ever wonder if he actually uses it? What does he use in wet conditions? Just want to get you guys thinking and experimenting.

Cannot agree with you unfortunately... If you had been at the Oudtshoorn 3-day you would bear testimony to the dry squeeky drive trains that everybody had. There was definitely reason to apply lube at the water points and what is important to know is that the marshalls did not merely just apply it. If you did not ask for it, you never got it. So you were not forced into using a different product. I can show you a cassette that has done a few thousand kilometers and that I have ridden with for over two years and through two chains and the teeth still look respectable. People would never believe me when I showed them. It boils down to proper care, cleaning, maintenance and of course, regular lubrication..

You for one should know this Chain-L?

@mach7-7. I did the Epic without applying lube during any of the stages (every night only after a wash). Passed many squeeky bikes on the way to the finish line! It boils down to choosing the correct lube.

I didn't mean that it is not neccasary to lube your bike when is squeeks, I meant that there are other lube options which will not force you to lube your chain every 30km because your bike will do 100plus km without a squeek. Sorry if I caused confusion.

To make clear what I was trying to say. Two people start the same race. Person A uses Lube A and person B uses Chain-L. After 30 km person A's bike starts squeeking and he stops at the waterpoint and most certainly asks for lube. This patern continues for the rest of the race. Person B completes the race without stopping for lube. This is reality, try it for yourself and write a review afterwards.

I have done more than 8000 km on my bike on 2 XT cassettes.

@mach7-7. I did the Epic without applying lube during any of the stages (every night only after a wash). Passed many squeeky bikes on the way to the finish line! It boils down to choosing the correct lube.

I didn't mean that it is not neccasary to lube your bike when is squeeks, I meant that there are other lube options which will not force you to lube your chain every 30km because your bike will do 100plus km without a squeek. Sorry if I caused confusion.

To make clear what I was trying to say. Two people start the same race. Person A uses Lube A and person B uses Chain-L. After 30 km person A's bike starts squeeking and he stops at the waterpoint and most certainly asks for lube. This patern continues for the rest of the race. Person B completes the race without stopping for lube. This is reality, try it for yourself and write a review afterwards.

I have done more than 8000 km on my bike on 2 XT cassettes.

Hey Chain-L,

I agree with you regarding choosing the correct lube. Chain-L has obviously treated you well throughout the Epic and so it makes sense to stick with what you know. Perhaps my original choice for Oudtshoorn was not a good one. Once I applied Squirt lube at the first water point I did not need anymore for the rest of the race. I will take your advice and look into your product. Its always nice to find something that works better than one's original preferance.

By the way, thats impressive mileage that you have achieved on 2 x XT cassettes.. I can tell that we both have a good cleaning regime in common. :D

@ mach 7-7.

ja, it pays in the long run to look after the stuff! I service my own bike and that also saves you a lot of money in the long run! I also used Squirt when I started cycling again in 2008. For me personally there was no problem with it, till I investigated some other options. If you swear by it stick to it, i was just to curious not to look around and I was pleasantly surprised!

Let me know if you are planning another stage race soon, and i will send you a sample to try in exchange for a review.

"Bump" ?? is that code for... PM me your postal address Tankman??

Ok, send it, will see if I have some more samples left!

So its a lube and named after some women's fragrance - (TM infringement maybe ;) ) Buts whats in it that makes it so much better?

As far as I am concerned all lubes are snake oil for the claims that are made about them. Hell maybe I should use Prolong on my chain ane be done with it..

Come on - lets get technical...

• 2 weeks later...