Rider down

Gravity

Nige, I took my DH bike there (Swells) and got concussed on a big double. I carried on riding until my helmet didnt fit so well, so in my slowed-up concussed state I took off my helmet and carried on riding until a mate stopped me.

I went to work the next day and was sent home after walking smack into a wall. I remember every time I travelled in the car for the next week I felt like my brain was going to pop out the top of my head.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i'm sure most of you have by now seen the pics of borat and his beer guzzling mates from the world cup ... those are the knobs who i call mates ... hahaha so you can imagine what every race is like with them! hahaha

actually i have 2 more stories as well ... just need to find the xrays for them.

1) also in 2000 i think ... (after the SWELLS crash) travel to Ficksburg for nationals ... riding a super steep tech course in Ficksburg with a chance of being selected for the national team i was obviously pushing it.

Turn into a sharp right hander in the rocks and the front wheel stalls against a rock ... I go over the bars ... over the catch netting ... over the SA team selector standing on the corner ... and down a bank coming to a stop upside down in a thorn bush on the edge of a 2m high cliff ... medics come haul me out and i finish my run ... medic says i cant hold on to the bars cus i have a sprained wrist - but i can do my 2nd run just be careful ... take some ducktape up with me for run 2 and ducktape my hand to the bars ... hit the first drop in such pain i was crying ... cant see where i was going and eat **** again ... 7 years later i find out that I broke my scafoid in that crash and it wasnt just a sprain after all ... GO MEDIC!!!

2) - AND this is a goodie!! ...

2006 December ... riding my new ECD at giba waiting for a mate ... hit a sneak line i had just seen to gap over 1 trail and land on a low one ... front wheel catches a support pole holding up the horizontal trail support ... i get bucked off sideways at some ungodly speed. Put the right foot down to curb impact. ... leg rotates on landing and i plow head first into the bushes ... concust! Haul myself off to the trail centre where i get carted off to hospital where the docs do xrays on my knee and ankle ... no breaks just muscular ...

2 months of physio and my leg still doesnt feel hunderds but its off to PE for the first NAtional ... Cool course ... super rocky with this 1 huck-to-almost-flat line that was destroying wheels as you had to land in a tight gap between 2 sharp rocks ... So our hero decides "screw that i'll huck to flat properly and just clear the rocks" ... DONE! ... 2nd attempt ... DONE - but on impact my leg collapses and i eat ****. Super painful in the middle of my leg - no where near my knee or ankle ... wierd ... try ride the next day ... NOT HAPPENING ... come home ... go for xrays ... the doc says to me "when last did you break this leg?" I was like "I havent" .. and he is like - "no you must have recently" - and there in the xray you can see the break through the calcification as my broken leg from december was healing (and i didnt even know about it as it was below the knee x ray and above the ankle one ... hahahahaha

well, the medic's x-ray vision didnt work on your wrist, but sure worked in noticing the sizes of your balls! 2nd run! you got my respect!

Nikolais: i know that situation all too well. smashed my noggin during practice run. On Monday,it was like i was stuck in a pinball machine. hand-eye coord driving to and from work was surprisingly incident free despite me walking like everything underneath was a waterbed with a tsunami raging inside it .. lol :lol:

Duct tape your hand to the bar! A braver man than me!

when there is a chance that you may get chosen to go to worlds ... you make a plan no matter what has happened!!

Ok, 1st up - A recent Crash I had on the Cascades course about 3 months ago.

For one of the provincials we used the lower half of the World Cup course. The starting point was a new piece that ran quite close to the 'Bombhole' section of the Worlds course, down a chute and joined where the 4X course starts.

Along the first section of track is a smallish road jump after a 300m pedaling section - and this is where it gets interesting.

I met a few guys there to ride this course as practice. Spent a while sorting my bike as I was having problems with the drivetrain. Get on my bike, pedal up to the road jump for the first time, my front wheel washes ever so slightly and my pedal connects with a stump just before the jump. I was catapulted straight into the ground at quite some speed!!!!

After regaining myself, I picked up my bike only to realise I have broken my back shock - the bike had obviously flipped over and come down so hard on the rear wheel (in the opp direction of Travel) that the shaft sheared right off!!!!

Here are some pics of the injuries - I should have taken a pic of the bike too, but it wasnt on my mind at the time...

It hurt to breathe for the next few weeks due to the stress my internals were subjected to.

The second pic is of my Thigh, that bruise didnt go away for weeks and it was 2 months before the pain went completely.

Also you can see another scar on the inside of my thigh - this was from a provincial a few weeks before, caused by having my car key in my pocket during a crash - not a good idea!!!

post-16663-0-51390100-1305007815.jpg

post-16663-0-94163300-1305007821.jpg

Edited by Nikolais

Ok, now this goes back a few years to 2006.

The course; Ferncliff, the Section: Cloud 9.

Now Ferncliff is what Cascades used to be referred to back in the day. The Ferncliff course used the same Grade as the new World Cup course, with the new course hardly using any of the sections that the old Ferncliff course used.

Except for Cloud 9!!!!

It was a Nationals in good-ol 2006 and I found myself crashing on Cloud 9 the entire weekend... I was overcooking it into there every time. Come my first run that I all I could think about (much to my detriment). I came into it too fast and ended up losing control and planting a tree, I came down hard on my knee and hyper-extended it SIDEWAYS!!!!

After 6 weeks back and forth from a Doctor (Who basically called me a hypochondriac) he finally sent me to a Orthopedic Surgeon (Doctor Thompson) at PMB MediClinic. After a 10 minute physical exam he booked me in for an op the very next day at 6am!!

I was super nervous, but was told it would be an easy op with minimal healing time. I awoke hours after the op only to be told that after going in with the fibre optic camera they realised it was worse that expected. Some of my cartilage had been pinched between the joint and they had to make another larger incision to cut it out and clean up the joint.

For 2 weeks I was not allowed to move my leg and after 3 weeks I had to go and see the Physio... I admit on my first visit to the physio my eyes watered - the pain was incredible.

My recovery was long and slow and I actually didnt touch my bike for a few years... My knee was so weak and I was made lazy from all the months of sitting around... Procrastination snuck in and 3 years passed...

I faced up to Cloud 9 the other day and came out on top - even though a little slow...

Here is a pic of my knee post-op.

post-16663-0-00076300-1305009080.jpg

nothing like a knee op to make the rest of you fat and lazy :thumbup: I'm still amazed at fast a quadricep wastes away cos you leg must be immobilized as with Nikolai's recovery..

• 1 month later...

came off at the bike park dirt jumps yesterday. Dirt between 2 & 3 on the pro line, was a bit sandy and loose on top, front washed out and I slammed into the launch of 3.

Was wearing a new set of knee guards (TLD T-Bones)... first time wearing them... was pretty impressed that they didn't slip down at all!

Only problem was I had a pretty new scar on my left knee, so just the force and a litte friction in the pad cased said scar to rip off and end up all wrinkled at the botoom of my knee.

Also too the end of a handlebar to my upper right thigh... glad I had end caps on.... still hurts like a beach, but lucky... 2" left and I woulda been in a whole new world of pain :blink:

oooh ... gotta love the handlebar to the thigh incidents! Hows your paintball-style bruise? Has the bruise come out with the ODI brand name yet? :thumbup:

oooh ... gotta love the handlebar to the thigh incidents! Hows your paintball-style bruise? Has the bruise come out with the ODI brand name yet? :thumbup:

haha! yup! totally a paintball style bruise... I would post pics... but I'll spare you guys from seein my upper thigh haha!

Sadly no ODI stamp... running chapskate Aerozine grips! Thinking about getting some ODIs in my next CRC order... this incident is just another reason to do it!