Merida tfs 800 vs Silverback Spectra

Voltageza

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't there a better spec'ed Merida at about the same price as the Spectra or any other brand that is similarly priced to the SB?

The silverback does have nicer specs and is a lot more sexy I must admit..I am thinking about getting a Spectra at the end of the year. Where are you buying the bike?

Isn't there a better spec'ed Merida at about the same price as the Spectra or any other brand that is similarly priced to the SB?

The silverback does have nicer specs and is a lot more sexy I must admit..I am thinking about getting a Spectra at the end of the year. Where are you buying the bike?

Cycle and sports in George.

When i asked the sales guy about why i should buy his merida instead of the SB, the best answer he could come up with is its a brand :-)

Cycle and sports in George.

When i asked the sales guy about why i should buy his merida instead of the SB, the best answer he could come up with is its a brand :-)

covie(A member on the forum) calls them Bike Snobs on this forum,the Silverback is a South African made bike and has great gear,in fact I have heard of people buying whole Silverback bikes striping them down and using all the gear on a different frame because the specs are so good for the price.

If you are worried about price of the Spectra look at the SB Ventura (R8,200 27 speed XT rear, SLX shifters, Shimano hydraulic brakes, SLX hollow crank, Rock Sox Reba air fork, SPD pedals)

Also Bargain with them,ask them if you can get a discount if you pay cash(ask for 10%),you should be able to get the Spectra for R11200 at least. Also take both of them for a ride around the parking lot,and see what feels nicer.

As I said I have been looking at bikes and although I dont want to be "Riding" a silverback because I dont want snobs to think I am cheap,its the best value for money and their frames are good so why get anything else? So I am getting the spectra at the end of the year and I am going to love it :)

And welcome to the forum :)

I had a Nabraska (Silverback)...it was AWESOME :D

Dude, tbh, I do not think you can go wrong with Silverback...But they guys at George Cycle n Sports are a bit strange to talk to about bike...esp the owner seems rather unapproachable.

Anthony (tall guy) is cool so if you are interested in the Silverback, speak to him...

Otherwise head over to Julien or Vickus (hope I spelled that correctly) at Coimbra...they will surely have something good in your price bracket.

I know my boss is buying a Merida there soon and it is super well specced for the price, so you may be pleasantly surprised...

Nowadays I just go there because I get the best service and advice and they always have stock of things and will get in under a week if they don't :)

Lol...that sounded a lil like a sales pitch :P

covie(A member on the forum) calls them Bike Snobs on this forum,the Silverback is a South African made bike and has great gear,in fact I have heard of people buying whole Silverback bikes striping them down and using all the gear on a different frame because the specs are so good for the price.

Yay I'm imfamous :D

Yes Merida you pay for the brand not the bike, And dont for one second think SB is inferior, To give you a comparison I had a middle of the range phoenix, though well its cheap so the frame is probably up to crap. Firstly i abused that bike like no other and it just ate anything up i could throw at it. Secondly I though well lets shed some weight like any true hub member, so I ask a LBS if they can get hold of a kwela frame so i can have a look at it. Now a kwela frame is R6k just for the frame. The phoenix is 6k for the whole bike, moral of the story, the kwela large frame weighed in at 1.6kg the cheap SB phoenix frame weighed in at 1.7kg. which means your spectra frame will be as light if not lighter than the kwela. So dont be fooled for one second by brand name bikes.

But weight is not everything on a bike, geomitry is more important, no point having a decent light bike and your not comfortable on it. So ask your LBS to pump up the tires, put on some aligator traps, and take it for a 5km spin. That should tell you if your comfy on the bike or not.

Yay I'm imfamous :D

Yes Merida you pay for the brand not the bike, And dont for one second think SB is inferior, To give you a comparison I had a middle of the range phoenix, though well its cheap so the frame is probably up to crap. Firstly i abused that bike like no other and it just ate anything up i could throw at it. Secondly I though well lets shed some weight like any true hub member, so I ask a LBS if they can get hold of a kwela frame so i can have a look at it. Now a kwela frame is R6k just for the frame. The phoenix is 6k for the whole bike, moral of the story, the kwela large frame weighed in at 1.6kg the cheap SB phoenix frame weighed in at 1.7kg. which means your spectra frame will be as light if not lighter than the kwela. So dont be fooled for one second by brand name bikes.

But weight is not everything on a bike, geomitry is more important, no point having a decent light bike and your not comfortable on it. So ask your LBS to pump up the tires, put on some aligator traps, and take it for a 5km spin. That should tell you if your comfy on the bike or not.

Go Covie, :lol: Soon to be famous on the trails of Cape Town in his white lycra shorts ;) Silverback is now German isnt it? :unsure:

Go Covie, :lol: Soon to be famous on the trails of Cape Town in his white lycra shorts ;) Silverback is now German isnt it? :unsure:

Designed in Germany but built in SA I think :)

Just this morning I hear a casual comment thrown out at our training ride - Agh man Silverback is the 'new' Raleigh ... use it don't .... ;)

I'd take a Silverback over a Raleigh any day :)

The Silverbacks have character :)

I see a Raleigh and I still think it was bought at Deon back in 1992 :P

Just this morning I hear a casual comment thrown out at our training ride - Agh man Silverback is the 'new' Raleigh ... use it don't .... ;)

Big S who ever said that needs a bit of an education in bikes, design, built geomitry, quality, and components, well i would say needs a education in general. I have ridden some models, And have compared the ride to various other bikes. And beleive me they are not found wanting, They are a serious contender in the market, and other bike manufacterers are taking note of them in a very serious way.

Yes they are the new kids on the block but the impact they have had in the time frame they have been in the market is very good. And like I said before its a bike snob thing, If they took all their bikes and just added 5k to the sale amount everybody would be raving becuase of the quality bike they are riding that cost them soooo much money.

Its just kind of ironic, there is only one company that will offer you world class bikes at the most cost effective prices, and the people who scream the loudest about how they are being ripped off and things are overpriced, are the very same ones that would like to put down the SilverBack brand.

But all i can say maybe go out and test those bike, then leverage your opinions. If you have never ridden one you simply arent informed enough to make a statement.

And I would stand next to you when your R10k SB rides nicer than your similarly spec'd 20k "brand name bike". And nobody is saying this should be you no1 choice, there are plenty good brands out there. I do however beleive they are way underated due the SA mentalitly of more is expensive is better.

@covie, I'll print out your comment and give it to him on the ride tomorrow morning ..... maybe he'll read it maybe not :blink: