Cyclist Killed - Let's make a difference!

AlsDad

You do realise that you have hijacked this very worthwhile and genuine thread which stems from extremely sad circumstances,for your own self gratification/cyclist bashing/holier than thou purposes

In my opinion,unless you have something useful to contribute,why don't you just stay the hell out of it and let the OP get on with it.

Good morning Mother Theresa....... thanx for being my conscience again. Good luck on keeping the peace in the Cradle........ I hope that is where you contribute.

Good morning Mother Theresa....... thanx for being my conscience again. Good luck on keeping the peace in the Cradle........ I hope that is where you contribute.

There are plenty of threads on the Hub for stirring and poking fingers in eyes. This is not one of them.

Please desist.

What a dumbass reply. Get a life bud.

What a dumbass reply. Get a life bud.

Calling me a dumbass might make you one. With how many initiatives are you involved to ensure cyclists stop behaving badly...... or are you also one of the dumbasses who just ride over stop streets, robots and give motorists a stiff middle finger. And do NOT try to convince me you are one as I have never met a responsible cyclist.

For the record..... I tried to get something off the ground. It is difficult to do such a thing if you do not live permanently in the country. There was a lot of hot air about starting something from prominent persons and a cycling affiliation. Nothing came of it. That is why I WILL NOT donate money for any single cycling cause again.

So many big mouthed cyclists and so little who really care....... it is like farting against thunder.

Calling me a dumbass might make you one. With how many initiatives are you involved to ensure cyclists stop behaving badly...... or are you also one of the dumbasses who just ride over stop streets, robots and give motorists a stiff middle finger. And do NOT try to convince me you are one as I have never met a responsible cyclist.

For the record..... I tried to get something off the ground. It is difficult to do such a thing if you do not live permanently in the country. There was a lot of hot air about starting something from prominent persons and a cycling affiliation. Nothing came of it. That is why I WILL NOT donate money for any single cycling cause again.

So many big mouthed cyclists and so little who really care....... it is like farting against thunder.

This is not about making a difference in the broad sense of the concept, it's about supporting and helping a family who lost a loved one. A wise man once said it is impossible to respect someone else if you can't respect yourself. You have made that perfectly clear to me.

(Didn't read the whole thread, but I see where this is going, so let me mention something:)

As the BikeSnob says, it is not about cyclists and drivers:

Again, Salmon makes many excellent points, but I was dismayed to see he fell into the same trap (or, in his case, net) as most other people who try to address this issue, which is to suppose that drivers and cyclists and pedestrians are somehow "different," or that their nature is somehow determined by their vehicle. Excluding for the moment the fact that many people are pedestrians and cyclists and drivers at various points in the day, a considerate person is a considerate person and an idiot is an idiot, and both will behave as such regardless of how they are propelling themselves at any given moment. "People are People," sang some awful 80s band, and saying drivers rarely break the rules but cyclists always do is like saying poor people commit crime all the time but rich people rarely do. Of course rich people are criminals too--they just rob you differently.

Oom Big H, ek moet saam stem dat jy bietjie "uit lyn uit" is hier. Hierdie mense probeer iets doen vir iemand wat na aan hul hart lê. Hoe sou jy gevoel het as dit jou vriend se familie was wat nou moet suffer omdat hy doodgery is. Sou jy nie ook so iets probeer het nie?

Hey Guys, just a reminder. Don't be stupid. I was on my way to work this morning when 3 roadies going up Katherine street in Sandton decided that one whole lane belongs to them. The were riding side by side two gents(one wearing green and a high visibility strap(nice!) And the other blue, the lady wearing red). I pulled to the side of them and tried to ask them to ride singlefile, the might just as well have througn me the finger as they blatantly ignored me and kept going. We don't need this!

Lock, what to do, what to do? Take a pic of them and post it here... Place the pics on roadhogs. Wonder if newspapaers would be interested to place pics of cyclists cycling/drivers driving like @SSholes...

Oom Big H, ek moet saam stem dat jy bietjie "uit lyn uit" is hier. Hierdie mense probeer iets doen vir iemand wat na aan hul hart lê. Hoe sou jy gevoel het as dit jou vriend se familie was wat nou moet suffer omdat hy doodgery is. Sou jy nie ook so iets probeer het nie?

Dit raak tyd dat ons werklik begin omgee vir die lewende, en hiermee bedoel ek lewende fietsryers. Ons smartgevoel is gewoonlik 'n glorifikasie van ons eie skuld.

Dit raak tyd dat ons werklik begin omgee vir die lewende, en hiermee bedoel ek lewende fietsryers. Ons smartgevoel is gewoonlik 'n glorifikasie van ons eie skuld.

Die smartgevoel en glorification storie raak bietjie oud. Los die mense dat hulle mekaar help soos hulle goed dink. Soos die ou se, elke klein bietjie help.

• 2 weeks later...

A very sad weekend indeed, especially when someone is taken so suddenly doing what they loved and lived for, riding his bike!

The gentlemans name is Terry Baker, from the Northgate area, and as said previously, he was going down the hill when a Taxi overtook them (three riders) and suddenly pulled off and stopped. The first two of the group (one being Terry's brother), managed to swerve out and miss the Taxi, but Terry unfortunately was unable to do so and went straight into the back of it.

My condolences to all the Bakers and our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Emotions always run high after a tragedy such as this, and then gradually dissipate until the next time an injustice is served against one of our own.

Wayne Baker, Terry's nephew and one of his training partners, apart from being absolutely distraught, has voiced his wishes to me to be able to:

a. Be involved in some sort of an awareness campaign/ride, and

b. See if there is anything we can do to assist the family financially going forwards.

Terry was the bread winner in the family, and has two teenage daughters.

Wayne is, along with me, a founder and current committee member of "The Dads Charity", the bunch of good intentioned hooligans who ride their bikes from Jhb to Durban each year to raise money for various children's charities. The organisation was founded 6 years ago with the wish to make a difference in as many kids lives as possible.

Wayne doesn't know it yet, but "The Dads" would like to get the ball rolling by putting an amount of R20 000-00 into a fund to assist the girls in their schooling and in a couple of years, their Tertiary Education needs.

The Hub is a wonderful Network/Brotherhood of sportspeople, and should anyone want to make a difference, no matter how big or small, donations can be transferred to:

Dad’s Charity Challenge

Standard Bank Bramley

Account # 00 298 026 6

Branch Code 004005(00)

Ref: Terry Baker

Should there be excessive funds, they would be managed and used to improve the lives of other kids through the Dads NPO (Non Profit Organisation).

Should anyone want to get involved or have any queries, please feel free to contact one of the committee members:

Rob Jackson (Chairman) rob@leveragecorporation.co.za

Troy Barwell troy@smp.co.za

Garth Wilkinson garth@smp.co.za

Our thoughts and feelings are with all "The Bakers".

While this is all very sad, and I certainly applaud your efforts to help the family out, I have a small problem with this.

Life insurance is there for that specific purpose. I have lost count of the number of people who tell me they have enough and then when tragedy strikes, the family find out after the fact that this is not so and they suffer not only the emotional trauma of losing a loved one, but they suffer financially as well.

I feel for the family, I really do. But people have to make sure they have the corect amount of cover.

BTW. I am a risk planner.