Too much training?

SL7

Hi Hubbers,

Could I have a problem if I changed two of my midweek rides (normally 90 minutes each) to 3,5hrs each and still do my regular long rides on Sat and Sun. This would take my training hours for the week to approximately 16hrs. I am in SubVets this Spring (first time), and would like to be stronger and leaner rider.

Those long mid week rides I'd do at 60% to 75% HR, so it won't be hard training at all.

Is this too much training?

Training looks like this: M-rest, T-3.5hrs 65%HR, W- 90mins spin, T-3.5hrs 65%HR, F-rest, S-3hr fast pace ride, S-3.5 hr rollers.

Is this too much slow riding? Or too much riding?

Is there anybody riding as much as this or more (non-pro riders that is)????

Comments anybody?

Ciao

Don't think there's a solid answer as different people, different ages and different genes take to training differently. I've been riding for more than that (18-20hrs) for the past month or two (mostly bike touring and commuting though, so it's way different to structured training). At times I've felt over-trained and weak, while other times I felt super strong after taking a few days easy. If I were you I'd ramp up the training for a week or two and see if your form / performance gets better. If yes, it's probably okay and if no, it's not.

If you're this serious about your cycling it's probably worth while to either do a lot of research / reading or to go and see a biokineticist / coach.

Fakes, sent me a private mail with your email address and I will forward you an article with all the basics nicely explained. Alternatively contact a coach (Maryke on thehub is apparently good).

Hey there, i am in a similar boat, also got some similar questions.

I have been training for more than 1 year now extremely consistently by way of commuting and one ride / race per weekend.

My weekly miles is always in excess of 400km (in snow (-15 degrees is my record lowest training temp), wind, sun, rain - everything), around the 15 hours per week as well

My riding is not as structured as yours, i mainly go on how my body feels, for the most part it is generally more tempo in nature with only 1 hard day per week (other than weekend ride).

On that day i do 3x15-20minute intervals (get the HR right up there) In Holland that involves putting the bike into the 53x12, and pacing (slow leg spead) into a block headwind.

Mon - Fri = 1 hour morning, 1-1.5 hours evening.

Sat or Sun = 4-6 hours

My ability has gotten better only slightly, so i am also going to be taking on the services of a coach in the next few months to give me more direction with all these wonderful training miles i am doing.

The one positive from this past year is that my stamina is amazing, i really struggle with fast pace, but i tire much slower than other riders giving the illusion that i get stronger as the ride continues. For the races i have been doing that has been perfect because they generally are between 4-8 hours of racing and not over the top fast. (30-32 avg)

I hardly ever feel tierd anymore from training, dunno what to make of that though ?

Hi Hubbers,

Could I have a problem if I changed two of my midweek rides (normally 90 minutes each) to 3,5hrs each and still do my regular long rides on Sat and Sun. This would take my training hours for the week to approximately 16hrs. I am in SubVets this Spring (first time), and would like to be stronger and leaner rider.

Those long mid week rides I'd do at 60% to 75% HR, so it won't be hard training at all.

Is this too much training?

Training looks like this: M-rest, T-3.5hrs 65%HR, W- 90mins spin, T-3.5hrs 65%HR, F-rest, S-3hr fast pace ride, S-3.5 hr rollers.

Is this too much slow riding? Or too much riding?

Is there anybody riding as much as this or more (non-pro riders that is)????

Comments anybody?

Ciao

Welcome to MY world.

Thats the kind of riding in MY week, I just keep it shorter and more often in the Week.

Weekends I go BIG, 6 Hours for the Saturday and 9 Hours for the Sunday. 20 hours for the Week.

Welcome to MY world.

Thats the kind of riding in MY week, I just keep it shorter and more often in the Week.

Weekends I go BIG, 6 Hours for the Saturday and 9 Hours for the Sunday. 20 hours for the Week.

Clearly a dealer that is using his own product ;)

Thanks guys for the comments. I also received some nice endurance articles - should be an interesting read.

From what I have seen, my own riding and that of buddies', it's not so much that there can be too much riding, but not enough of other stuff.

The most important of the other stuff is rest - it's during rest that you get stronger in response to the work that you've done training.

As a sub-vet, you've prolly got a job, likely a wife/gf and possibly other social opportunities. Time spent riding your bike is time spent not doing any of that other stuff. Is cycling worth all that to you? (And only you can answer that question.)

Also, as a sub-vet, you're not going to be turning pro any time soon. If your training routine ceases to be fun you have to ask yourself what you are hoping to get out of it. Take the long term view - do you want to still be cycling in 10, 20 or 30 years' time? If you do, will 16 hours of riding a week now get you there, or will it get you burned out and gatvol with cycling?

How have you decided that more TITS is the answer to your cycling ambitions? It's not a linear relationship - beyond some point, more TITS does not equate to better racing performance.

If it's racing you want to do, I would suggest train for racing by racing more. Do the Wed crits at Killarney for starters.

And as ever, be wary of anybody who can look at your programme, and make sweeping statements without knowing anything about you.

hi there, if you entering into the sub-vet group, how do you manage to get some much time on the bike during the week? is your life only cycling or do you work as well?

hi there, if you entering into the sub-vet group, how do you manage to get some much time on the bike during the week? is your life only cycling or do you work as well?

most of the subvets are doing +/-15hr training weeks. its not that hard 2hrs every morning (tue-fri) and 2x4hr rides on the weekend = 16hrs

or if u want more

1.5hrs in the morning, 1.5hrs in the evening (tue-fri)+ 1x6hr on saturday, 1x4hr on sunday = 22hrs

darn, thanks for sharing that Fandacious, now I need to go train some more! :blink:

****, one of my subvet mates does 13hrs in 3 days :S

that is a lot of cycling. but as bikemonster pointed out, if you entering sub vet you would already have a full life outside of cycling, its a tough balancing act to cycle so much and still meet your other responsibilities.

what about resting, should that not be a large part of the training schedule?

just curious.

that is a lot of cycling. but as bikemonster pointed out, if you entering sub vet you would already have a full life outside of cycling, its a tough balancing act to cycle so much and still meet your other responsibilities.

what about resting, should that not be a large part of the training schedule?

just curious.

weekdays, get up @ 430am and ride 2hrs. go to work.

on the weekends, get on the bike @ 6am and be done by 10am. still plenty of time to spend with the family.

or meet your wife/kids at a winefarm for breakfast half way thru your ride

where theres a will theres a way. i ride elites, work for my self (often 12hr days), have a 11mth old son, etc ,etc. If you want to make time, you can do it. It just means less down time. No more sitting in front of the tv for 3hours doing nothing

WRT to resting, you rest every 4th week - drop training down to 6 or 8hrs for the week