First dual suspension

vettie1

Hi everyone

I recently sold my hardtail as the frame was to small for me. I would like to buy a dual suspension bike, anything between R13k and R18k.

What I would like to know is what brand of bicycles is most reliable in terms of maintenance? The LBS warned me about needing to replace pivot parts annually. Is this true?

What do I need to check when buying a second hand dual suspension bike?

I would appreciate any help in answering my questions :)

It's true, the pivot parts do need to be checked and serviced periodically. The key thing to ensure is that the frame is not cracked - that would be a real mess. I went for a 2009 Giant Anthem X1 which I got for about half the cost of a new equivalent (the 2010 X2). Before buying the bike I got the seller to service the front and rear suspension. I have been delighted with the bike!

Only when you add the shocks to the service, since you have two, pivots and the other movable parts you maintain by adding grease or lube with a syringe, And just keep the pivots clean.

Depends by what you mean 'a lot more' and by how heavy you are on the bike. I would guess that an average rider would need to service pivot parts every year or two and replace bushes etc every 2 years or so. At a guestimate I would say that you would be in for an extra K every 2 years in servicing costs compared to a hardtail. Others may have different views!

Thank you! The guy at the LBS made it sound a bit more serious than it seems to be :) I would be happy to spend a bit more and have a more comfortable ride!

Pivot bearings and shock bushings need frequent replacement. It is a function of mileage, conditions and how you clean the bike.

If you do lots of miles in the wet, expect to service more. Maybe even more than once a year. If you clean your bike with a pressure washer, service even more often.

Thanks to the entry of Enduro bearings into South Africa, the cost of servicing pivots have decrease pretty significantly.

IIRC correctly, Specialized service kits for Epics cost about R1400 (help me out Spez guys) and an equivalent Enduro kit would be less than R500. Labour remains the same though and expect to pay for up to 3 hours of labour on some bikes.

The Enduro Max series of bearings have been made specifically for suspension pivots and last a lot longer than standard rotating cartridge bearings.

Nevertheless, maintaining a well-used suspension bike is expensive. At least R2k or more per annum.

Also look at what kind of riding youre intending on doing? Trail or more race/xc. A more relaxed geometry for trail riding(Giant trance) or more aggresive for the xc/race( Giant anthem)

You can also ride races on a trail bike, so dont be put off by the description ;)

You could also consider avoiding bikes with gazillions of pivots and buying a tried and tested monopivot design like the Morewood Zula or SC Sperlight. I have a Raleigh mono-pivot - 5 years on I've not had to replace any bushes or bearings yet. Then again I dont ride every day and avoid mud when I can. Generally though, you'd have less maintenance the simpler suspension system withouit sacfricing much if anything in performance. :)

You could also consider avoiding bikes with gazillions of pivots and buying a tried and tested monopivot design like the Morewood Zula or SC Sperlight. I have a Raleigh mono-pivot - 5 years on I've not had to replace any bushes or bearings yet. Then again I dont ride every day and avoid mud when I can. Generally though, you'd have less maintenance the simpler suspension system withouit sacfricing much if anything in performance. :)

Do you stop and carry the bike over muddy sections if they are encountered?:P

the scott spark and merida 96 bikes have very simple and effective designs. my mongoose canaan was beutiful but to much maintenance and sqweeks...!!

No I stay in bed when its wet and cold and ride round the mud puddles when at all possible;)

Thats just sad on so many levels dude, what more fun than playing in puddles of mud.

Do you stop and carry the bike over muddy sections if they are encountered?:P

No I stay in bed when its wet and cold and ride round the mud puddles when at all possible;)

Hi-jack on

I cannot stress how underrated the art of levitation is - particularly in the everyday application of avoiding mud.

Give it a try - practising is sometimes a b!tch - but the results are well worth it.

Hi-jack off

Thats just sad on so many levels dude, what more fun than playing in puddles of mud.

I still like to make the odd mud pie too ;)