CSA Licensing

Spark

Holy moses... 4 pages later and this is still as clear as mud!

And to think that some people actually pay me to think - and many more pay those people because they think I know what's potting with life, the universe and everything - and here I am battling to understand the "simple" rules of race registration... :blink:

Two things:

1.) Am I correct in that there is not pro-rata rate? So you either pay-up at the beginning of the year - or face paying FULL price for 3 months membership [like for instance, from today :P ], so that you're allowed to enter the occasional funride during October, November and December? Yes you would need to pay the full amount for 3 month.

2.) Can you simply pay the CSA R75.00 fee WITHOUT being part of a MTB club? If I do everything on my own - but are quite willing to pay organisers whatever their fee is for organising a race, and want to simply show up on the day and ride - why do I also have to be part of some club? you need to be a member of a club. Roag.co.za is free but no affiliated to CGC. So you would need to pay CGC another R75 if you reside in Gauteng and your club is not affiliated to CGC.

2b.) Over and above the annual R75 for CSA - do I also pay an extra R35.00 for a day licence, over and above whatever fee is levied by the Organisers of a race? No only R75 to CSA " As long as the club you join is affiliated to CGC or you have paid CGC R75 directly.

If anyone can answer the above - that would be most of much joyfulness. B)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a moment - the "guide to the CSA Licensing System 2010"/pretty colourful organogram that someone here provided a link to, has a "Day Licence" as something seperate to the "Cyclo Sport licence" [which I though, from reading earlier, was replaced by a CSA license??]...

It's only valid for 24 hrs, is acquired by applying via the Race organisers, and is the "most basic option"...

Muddy, muddy, muddy.

If I only want to ride in funrides - will the Day Licence, and ONLY the day licence suffice - or must I still pay the R75.00 annual fee?

1.) Am I correct in that there is not pro-rata rate? So you either pay-up at the beginning of the year - or face paying FULL price for 3 months membership [like for instance, from today :P ], so that you're allowed to enter the occasional funride during October, November and December? Definitely no pro-rata rate. This was confirmed to me in an email from CSA. If you're only doing two fun rides, pay day licences. More than two pay CSA, it's cheaper.

2.) Can you simply pay the CSA R75.00 fee WITHOUT being part of a MTB club? If I do everything on my own - but are quite willing to pay organisers whatever their fee is for organising a race, and want to simply show up on the day and ride - why do I also have to be part of some club? No, you must be a member of a club (confirmed by CSA). You can, however, be a member of a club without being a member of CSA (but you must still pay CGC). Join ROAG: it's free aside from CGC affiliation.

2b.) Over and above the annual R75 for CSA - do I also pay an extra R35.00 for a day licence, over and above whatever fee is levied by the Organisers of a race? 90% sure that you won't have to pay additional license fees. The impression I get from my correspondence with them and reading their documents in full is that the CSA membership is very much like the current cyclosport licence. This is what I have been advising my club members.

Wait a moment - the "guide to the CSA Licensing System 2010"/pretty colourful organogram that someone here provided a link to, has a "Day Licence" as something seperate to the "Cyclo Sport licence" [which I though, from reading earlier, was replaced by a CSA license??]...

It's only valid for 24 hrs, is acquired by applying via the Race organisers, and is the "most basic option"...

Muddy, muddy, muddy.

If I only want to ride in funrides - will the Day Licence, and ONLY the day licence suffice - or must I still pay the R75.00 annual fee?

Day license will do per event. But if you do more than 3 it will pay you to go the R75 option or more than 5 events if you stay in Gauteng.

Yes, but if you do more than two races (four if in Gauteng) it works out cheaper to join CSA.

Thanks for the replies guys - I'm starting to get a clearer idea!

In short - for someone who only rides the occassional funride, once in a blue moon - a Day License appears to be the way to go then - rather than going through the hassle of arranging annual membership with CSA/my local club?

So I would simply contact the Race Organiser - inform them I want a "Day Licence", and pay the R35 extra on top of whatever their fee was/is (assuming, of course, that it doesn't include the Day Licence fee already)...

CSA Membership and Licensing Policy

All riders taking part in CSA sanctioned events are required to be a Member of CSA for the year in which the race takes place, or to have a valid day license for every day of participation. Membership or a day license is a race entry requirement and is thus a prerequisite to enter a race.

2011 Licensing Process

Steps

1.Everyone must join CSA as a member

2.Once you are a member, you can upgrade to a full racing license

3.Or - You can take a day license for every day you race

Fees

1.CSA Membership R75.00

2.CSA Racing License R350.00

2.Day License R35.00

CSA Membership

Membership will be available through the CSA web site (www.cyclingsa.com) or affiliated online entry companies (when you enter a race like the Cycle Tour). If membership is taken through an online entry company, you will still have to complete certain details on the CSA website, but this will not stop you entering the race that you want to do.

CSA require all members to be a member of an affiliate (province) and a club. These options are all available on the CSA site. The system opens on 01 November.

Membership will entitle riders to race, be seeded and participate in CSA sanctioned events. Exceptions are detailed under Racing License Section

CSA Racing License (UCI License)

A Racing license can only be bought once you are a member of CSA. This can only be done through the CSA web site (www.cyclingsa.com). If you join as a member on the CSA site, this process can be done at the same time. Otherwise you can upgrade to this option at any time. A license card will be issued and posted to you.

A racing license allows a rider to represent South Africa and participate in UCI sanctioned events. SA Championship events and SA Colors require a racing license. CSA points will only be given to riders a with full racing license.

Racing Licenses are for all riders 16 years and older. Youth Riders and younger can race and get all the racing license benefits as a CSA Member.

CSA Licensing System

CSA have developed a new online data management system that will be fast, efficient and easy to use.

It will be available for 01 November to Riders and 15 October to clubs and affiliates. This system will be on the CSA web site (www.cyclingsa.com). The system will also have the following features National Seeding System

National Points system

Online Entry System for CSA events (such as SA Championship events)

National Calendar and race information system

A rider communication system

A National Results system

Connectivity to all affiliated online entry companies and timing systems

Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour

CSA requires all riders riding in sanctioned events to be licensed and the Cycle Tour are sanctioned license sellers for CSA.

When entering the Cycle Tour there are various membership and licensing options available to you.

From a CSA perspective you need to have one of the following to complete your entry.

1.A membership of CSA for 2011

2.A day license

Should you choose a membership of CSA this will be valid for the whole of 2011 and allow you to do any other race. Should you chose a day license, this is only valid for the cycle tour.

When the 2011 CSA license system goes live for riders on 01 November 2010, you will be able to upgrade your CSA Membership that you bought from the cycle tour to a full racing license should you wish to do so. You will also be able to join the club of your choice.

Questions and Answers

Q: Once I have bought a CSA Membership through a race like the Cycle Tour, how do I get a full racing license?

A: In 2011 all riders need to become a Member of CSA first. Once you are a member, you can then get a full racing license on the CSA Web Site. This process will open on 01 November

Q: What about Junior licenses?

A: There are no Junior licenses. All riders over the age of 16 require a full racing license should they wish to compete in Nationals, UCI events or get National Colors. Youth riders (U16) are only required to become members and will receive all the benefits of a full racing license.

Q: Do I still need to join a club.

A: Yes, when the CSA system opens on 01 November, you will need to add your club and affiliate (province) details.

Q: Why are the cycle tour charging me for a license?

A: It is the responsibility of all race organizers to make sure that all competing riders are licensed, either as a member of CSA or with a day license. CSA will accredit online entry companies to sell membership to riders at the point of entry, so as to make riders lives easier. The online entry company will then provide this information to CSA, so that you do not get charged again at another race.

Q: What about the old Cyclo Sport License?

A: CSA have decided to do away with this license. The process is now very simple. You join CSA as a member. Should you wish to have a full racing license, then you can upgrade to this option.

Q: Can I get a full racing license without becoming a member.

A : No. However after 01 November, if you chose to take out your membership on the CSA site, you can upgrade to a full racing license at the same time, merely by ticking a box.

Q: How do I register my club?

A: On 15 October the system will be open for club and affiliate registration. The process will be fast and simple and CSA staff will help you if so needed. You will be able to load your fees, or portions thereof, and permissions to suit your club needs. You will also be able to load all club details and benefits.

Q: Who is the service provider and where do I find the system?

A: The system will be on the CSA web site (www.cyclingsa.com) and is owned and administered by CSA.

1.Everyone must join CSA as a member

2.Once you are a member, you can upgrade to a full racing license

3.Or - You can take a day license for every day you race

I think this section is poorly edited. If you read the rest of the document, I'm pretty certain it should say:

Everyone must join CSA as a member.

Or - You can take a day license for every day you race

Once you are a member, you can upgrade to a full racing license

Reading these sections backs up this view:

Membership will entitle riders to race, be seeded and participate in CSA sanctioned events. Exceptions are detailed under Racing License Section

From a CSA perspective you need to have one of the following to complete your entry.

1.A membership of CSA for 2011

2.A day license

Should you choose a membership of CSA this will be valid for the whole of 2011 and allow you to do any other race. Should you chose a day license, this is only valid for the cycle tour.

Mampara - if you're referring to what was said earlier by myself, and the replies thereto(??) - then thanks for posting the CSA excerpt...

Having looked at it, I reason your bold bits above, to be of application ONLY in the event that one falls within categories 1 & 2 under "Steps"...

The use of the word "OR" at 3.) ["Or - You can take a day license for every day you race], presumably means that one has the option to simply take out a R35.00 day licence per race, should one not want to be 1.) a CSA member, or 2.) upgrade, as a member, to a full race-licence...

The bit about being part of a club, wolud then surely only apply to CSA members (step 1/2) - so would presumbably not apply to Day Licence "carriers" - does my take on this make sense?

OR you can ignore all of this, and simply read the post above! - thanks Edman B)

I did not write it, got it from CSA website a while back.

I/we(?) know (gathered as much) - and fanks!

Whats amazing is that this is a cycling forum and yet CSA and PPA are not represented by anyone. True show of dedication to the sport...of golf because that's where they are right now.