Carbon Fibre

Capcha

Cause when the carbon she break - she break without the warning - when she break without the warning you breaka your face :blink:

So unless you know what you are doing I would not suggest that you just manufacture stuff from carbon - it's just not in the same league as cutting off an aluminium pole.

Cause when the carbon she break - she break without the warning - when she break without the warning you breaka your face :blink:

So unless you know what you are doing I would not suggest that you just manufacture stuff from carbon - it's just not in the same league as cutting off an aluminium pole.

Correct me if Im wrong, but laying carbon is pretty much like laying fibreglass, as long as you get the weave correct it shouldnt be a problem? When I worked as a model maker in the UK, guys I worked with layed up carbon all the time into furniture and said it was easy as pie. I could be wrong, maybe it wasnt in as much stress as a handlebar would be? Its a matter of getting you resin catalyst mixture correct

My point is more that if you haven't worked with carbon before don't start by building bits that take stress.

It's not worth the hassles. CWCO sells a BBB MTB bar for R250.

Fair enough - Ill speak to a mate of mine that just bought some carbon fibre. He added it to a surboard he built himself

My point is more that if you haven't worked with carbon before don't start by building bits that take stress.

For sure - point agreed about that:D

Correct me if Im wrong, but laying carbon is pretty much like laying fibreglass, as long as you get the weave correct it shouldnt be a problem? When I worked as a model maker in the UK, guys I worked with layed up carbon all the time into furniture and said it was easy as pie. I could be wrong, maybe it wasnt in as much stress as a handlebar would be? Its a matter of getting you resin catalyst mixture correct

I think what you are saying is true if all that you are after is prettiness.

AFAIK, pre-preg carbon has to be stored at very low temperatures, then baked at high pressure and temperature to make structural components.

(Even more than usual, I may be wrong.)

AFAIK, pre-preg carbon has to be stored at very low temperatures, then baked at high pressure and temperature to make structural components.

Yeah more "prettiness", the fibreglass it was laid in with took the stress and was the main structure.

You planning on making the bars yourself?

Nope I am buying the bars, its just Im worried it may crack or break on the ruff stuff. So not sure about its strength thats all

Sounds about right... Been to a company that makes carbon yacht masts, carbon stored in -25degree freezer and masts made in high pressure moulds (think they are baked as well, but not completely sure).

Without a very well designed mould, how could you get the stem and shifter/brake mounting points the correct diameter without any imperfections which might lead to weak points?

Was the original post actually related to making a bar or just a random question about a bar? If it is being produced, the chances are it's been tested by someone else before you get yours so should be safe.

Nope I am buying the bars, its just Im worried it may crack or break on the ruff stuff. So not sure about its strength thats all

:unsure:This is something I wanna know too, maybe reinforce it a bit?