CSA Licencing

levett

Well see the confusion, I was told I had to buy the full license last year by CSA:angry: - I wonder how many others got caught out

No need for full license in your case.

Join a club....

Become a CSA member....

Race till you drop....

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They will not listen to you. You have to talk to your club who will raise it at the CSA AGM. Again, you have to belong to a club to have a voice.

Why do I/we/us have to belong to a club to be able to talk to them? Seems crazy that I cant just ring them up and have a rant, even say as a concerned parent or something:unsure: To much red tape.

That's how I read it, but the consensus of opinion (despite the poor English) is that, to enter a race, you need:

Either

- Membership of CSA (R75 per annum)

Or

- A Day Licence of Every Race you participate in (R35 per Race)

And

- If you have CSA Membership, you can get a Race Licence (R350)

But

- You can't get a Race Licence without also having CSA Membership

(clapping hands) finally you got it now!

There wont be Cyclosport Licenses next year, it will be replaced with CSA Membership.

The Cyclosport licenses were included with our yearly fees to PPA - they paid R75 to CSA for our Cylosport licenses out of our R220 yearly fees.

(CSA just never actually issued these Cyclosport licenses to us, cost savings I suppose and some type of agreement between PPA and CSA)

They have set a president with this and we must insist that they do the same next year by paying our CSA memberships out of our PPA membership fee.

Then all remains the same, just pay your PPA membership and stop moaning!

Edited by Tankman

Simply open your own club at no cost to members if need be for social riding/racing

In Gauteng will work as follows:

Group of guys cycle together as club"mampara" your payment for year: CGC R75-00

CSA R75-00 Total R150-00 done.

Other provinces clubs pay an affiliation fee per club to province + R75-00 for CSA no big deal.

In cycling every event rips us off and yet we contiunue doing them yet the national/provincial body gets slapped for their fees.

In Gauteng we used to do the inter-club events(old GPPA under Len Kline) at R20-00 per rider they were well supported with clubs entering around 4/5 teams nowadays you pay R110-00 per rider and the events still takes place without questions on the fee escalation.

Its like the banks - put up or shut up. When would you like me to bendover and get shafted for more money :( Be it race costs, license fees , bike prices, spares costs - the list in endless. It all just seems a futile waste of effort complaining.

Simply open your own club at no cost to members if need be for social riding/racing

In Gauteng will work as follows:

Group of guys cycle together as club"mampara" your payment for year: CGC R75-00

CSA R75-00 Total R150-00 done.

HEY! they can start their own club. Nobody joins mine. :angry:

HEY! they can start their own club. Nobody joins mine. :angry:

What you gonna offer me for my fees? :unsure:

I recall BigH started a club, quite selective as you could only join if your bike had shimano components, but it was free.

I recall BigH started a club, quite selective as you could only join if your bike had shimano components, but it was free.

Starting a club is as easy as saying "I'm starting a club". But you have to be affiliated to CSA which according to ROAG, costs R3000.

Not correct.

There is no charge by CSA unless you register a licensed team in any of the disciplines.

If you take into account the cost of club membership plus the CSA Liscence and divide that by number of races that you do a year and pretend that that is a gate fee to be allowed to ride at these venues that you are not normally allowed to ride at because they are on private property, then it isn't really that expensive. Take club membership at about R150 plus CSA at R75 and divide that by 10 races a year, that equals R22,50 per event! Some people do more and some less so it will vary. A day at Giba Gorge costs you R40 and some guys go twice a month to ride the same trails. Racing lets you ride areas that are normally not accessible under normal conditions. Pay the money and enjoy the scenery.

Be thankful that you don't belong to MSA as their racing liscence is a whole lot more... :o

If you take into account the cost of club membership plus the CSA Liscence and divide that by number of races that you do a year and pretend that that is a gate fee to be allowed to ride at these venues that you are not normally allowed to ride at because they are on private property, then it isn't really that expensive. Take club membership at about R150 plus CSA at R75 and divide that by 10 races a year, that equals R22,50 per event! Some people do more and some less so it will vary. A day at Giba Gorge costs you R40 and some guys go twice a month to ride the same trails. Racing lets you ride areas that are normally not accessible under normal conditions. Pay the money and enjoy the scenery.

But then - what are race entry fees for?

;)

But then - what are race entry fees for?

Administration, setup, profit? I doubt very much if they would go to all that effort just for the sake of giving us a place to ride for the day. I hear where you are coming from, I was just trying to make that pill a bit easier to swallow. You are going to have to pay the money regardless. This way if you break it down per race and look at the places you are allowed to ride it makes it easier. A whole lot better that sitting stewing about the fact that you have to pay +/-R250 to "race" for the year.

Alternatively you could not pay, take a few of your buddies and a pair of side cutters, cut a few fences and ride like your life depended on it while the farmer who owns the land that you are illegally riding on chases you in his bakkie because you are tresspassing...! Or you can pay R40 a day to ride the same trail park week after week.

Just my way of breaking it down. It works for me ;)

While I agree that race entries are getting more expensive (and undoubtedly some of the more 'popular'races are a rip-off), I actually feel that I am getting something tangible for my money. I would have thought it is the race organisers that negotiate with land owners, not CSA.

This is not the case with CSA - as far as I can see, the money I pay to CSA gives me absolutely no benefit at all!

Has anyone ever met anyone from CSA at a Race? what do they do for their R1.1 Million plus salaries, and their R350K travel and accommodation expenses?

With Race Entry Fees, you can pick and choose which races to enter - and if that is on cost, then you are at liberty to pick and choose. With CSA, it is 'Pay Up'or you can not enter any race!