Building a cyclocross

stewie911

I'm really keen on getting a cyclocross bike, but don't want to spend the money right now.

Is there any way to convert a normal old roadbike to a cyclocross bike. I assume the only problem is tyre clearance(Maybe some older bikes have enough clearance at the frame, but then the brakes is the problem).

I've heard you can use normal road wheels - ?

I feel happy to use the frame.

I'm really keen on getting a cyclocross bike, but don't want to spend the money right now.

Is there any way to convert a normal old roadbike to a cyclocross bike. I assume the only problem is tyre clearance(Maybe some older bikes have enough clearance at the frame, but then the brakes is the problem).

How about an old mtb with rigid fork and road handlebar + STI's, or will that just look weird

Dude, this is easy to do, you can run a std road frame with a tyre to suit, the problem is that most brake arches are not designed for a touring 28c or treaded road tyre. the trick is to make sure they match as alot of cyclocross bike have mtb style brakes.

if you run a 1/18th mtb rigid fork in front you can get the front brakes to work as v brakes.

then you just need a flat bar with mtb shifters or you can run your std bar.

were are you planning to ride and compete with this bike?

if you pm me we can chat about the details

A flat bar with mtb shifters??? Come on are you building a cyclocross bike or a hybrid? Sounds more like a hybrid to me.

Cyclocross frames usually have a more relaxed geometry and a higher BB to give more clearance over obastacles. To simulate that it would be best to take a normal road frame with "relaxed" geometry as base for your build. An old steel frame would be perfect or alu if you must.

Then make sure your frame can handle the top-pull cyclocross brakes (if you want the real deal). Most road frames doon't have attachment options, so you might be stuck with normal v-brakes.

Then if you really want to go cyclocross you have to fit the right chianrings. Usually a close match in ratios, but I guess this will not do for SA. Best you stick to a compact crank.

OK, good luck and keep us posted on the update!

Ive tried it.

Old frame with lots of clearence behind the downtube, tandem wheels and 32c tyres. You dont need to fit v-brakes as long as the tyre fit trough the calliper.

They stopped importing cyclocross tyres due to lack of interst, so i fit the fattest tandem tyres i could find.

Dude, this is easy to do, you can run a std road frame with a tyre to suit, the problem is that most brake arches are not designed for a touring 28c or treaded road tyre. the trick is to make sure they match as alot of cyclocross bike have mtb style brakes.if you run a 1/18th mtb rigid fork in front you can get the front brakes to work as v brakes.then you just need a flat bar with mtb shifters or you can run your std bar.were are you planning to ride and compete with this bike?if you pm me we can chat about the details

That's what I said, tyre clearance is the problem.

I want to use it as a commuter bike. My commute is mostly on the road, but at times it's on the pavement or gravel road.

A flat bar with mtb shifters??? Come on are you building a cyclocross bike or a hybrid? Sounds more like a hybrid to me.Cyclocross frames usually have a more relaxed geometry and a higher BB to give more clearance over obastacles. To simulate that it would be best to take a normal road frame with "relaxed" geometry as base for your build. An old steel frame would be perfect or alu if you must.Then make sure your frame can handle the top-pull cyclocross brakes (if you want the real deal). Most road frames doon't have attachment options, so you might be stuck with normal v-brakes.Then if you really want to go cyclocross you have to fit the right chianrings. Usually a close match in ratios, but I guess this will not do for SA. Best you stick to a compact crank.OK, good luck and keep us posted on the update!

Definetly not building a hybrid. Should be cyclocross style. Normal road calipers are usually to big, so will have to look at older stuff mabye.

Regarding chainrings, I'll modify some existing stuff. See how the bike rides first

Ive tried it.Old frame with lots of clearence behind the downtube, tandem wheels and 32c tyres. You dont need to fit v-brakes as long as the tyre fit trough the calliper.They stopped importing cyclocross tyres due to lack of interst, so i fit the fattest tandem tyres i could find.

Did u use normal road tyres? I'm looking for something with a tread pattern for the gravel parts.

[Hi-jack on]

I'm looking at off-loading XT v-brakes - and I've had a query about whether they would work on a cyclocross frame?

Any ideas? I've googled it, and there appears to be quite a few sites that say it is possible? Don't want to mess the buyer around - what do you all reckon is the best way to get confirmation?

Anyone know of a LBS who is really clued up on Cyclocross bikes that will be able to give some insights?

[Hi-jack off]

Just buy a decent MTB and get it over with ;)

I've got a decent mtb, but commute is too far for riding the mtb everytime.

or use disc brakes, cutting edge for cyclo

To get disc brakes, means I'll end up with a mtb with slicks and road handlebars. Don't think I really want that. Could think about it maybe, cause then i need a rigid fork and disc brakes are expensive and I don't really need the disc brakes, as v-brakes would be fine

Busy with a similiar build, got the frame, fork and wheelset. Still busy sourcing some parts. Will keep you posted on the progress if you are interested ;)