What to eat during ride?

Pls help! I am on a protein only diet, and have lost 9kg's in 4 weeks. I am feeling strong, but starting teh longer rides now. Seeing as I cant use any carbs, i.e. fruit, power bars etc., what can I eat during my long rides?

Phooeew, thats hectic, roughly 2kgs per week odd.!

Are you just doing this diet on your own or is it under the control of a doctor or a dietician.? Although some will be water, it seems like your body has gone into ketosis too quickly and its too much weight in too short a time for me, it wont be sustainable if you continue like this.

Its nice to see the scale, but you need to be sensible as well, I would modify it a tad and take a small amount of carbs in the form of boiled baby potatoes, a slice or two of rye bread, a banana, a whole wheat rusk or two, something like that daily to just temper the loss a bit.

Maybe eat a small boiled potatoe before you ride and one during the ride for carbs, you cant ride long distances on only protein you could have all sorts of health issues and possibly even faint or pass out, unless you are monitered by a doctor or someone, you must take some carbs bud, listen to me, dont chance an accident, its not worth it.

Atkins diet can work but you have to do it right otherwise it is more bad than good. The full health benefits are only realised after 3-6 months of careful eating. Getting the correct mix of vitamins and minerals is difficult. Also only works if you are in very good health, kidneys and liver takes strain on this one.

You can cycle on the Atkins Diet but only low intensity, iow keep heart-rate below 120bpm. So probably not a good idea if you need to keep fit, but for rapid fat-loss it can work wonders.

Forgot to add; not everybody responds well to this diet. Ideally you need to have regular blood analysis done on cholesterol, blood sugar, triglyc levels to keep you on the straight and narrow. Needs physician supervision, which is the way Atkins intended it to be.

Edited by BigGuy

Hi

I just thought I would had my few cents...

I am not sure if this diet has been prescribed to you by a doctor or dietician because if it has then there is probably a good reason that I am not aware of.

I really dont think that the Atkins Diet is a good option for you especially if you are doing long Aerobic type rides where Carbohydrates are a major fuel source. Apart from all the Protein that you are taking in putting quite a lot of strain on your liver Carbohydrates are the fuel for your brain.

Carbohydrates are not the enemy, the key is to maintain steady insulin levels by eating Low GI, good quality, unrefined carbohydrates in moderation.

I would recommend going to see a good Nutritionist but I know they can be expensive so I would suggest having a look at this site www.thepaleodiet.com/

Thanx for teh advise. I am on teh Atkins diet

Run the **** away from any diet that has a person or place name in front of it, or or © behind it.

Eat sensibly, eat balanced, cut down on processed food and minimise "empty" carbs (soft drinks and booze, sorry!).

Generally weight that goes off fast is weight that comes back fast.

As others have said, it's all about balance. But not about PowerBalance...that's a whole 'nother thread war.