Soon to be new wheels

crasher

RANT

3rd parcel in a row of mine from CRC that has been opened by SARS and the Post office.

The other 2 still had everthing present but somebody stole the Stans rim tape out of this one (dont make sense as it was the cheapest item :angry: )or maybe they forgot to put it back after inspection ;)

RAVE

Got my Hubs today so the Blur is a about to get a new set of wheels.

JB is doing the wheel build for me.

ZTR Crest rims

Dt Swiss Revo DB spokes

Shimano M985 XTR Race Hubs

post-6876-095582900 1287670228.jpg

caad4

Had the rims for a while and choice of spokes was easy but was undecided on Hubs.

It came down to a choice of the Hope pro 2 the Dt swiss 340's and the XTR's (old ones)

Hope lost out because of the noise I cant stand the loudness of the freewheel plus they were not centre lock which is a advantage because of my stock of CL discs and 2 other sets of wheels using CL hubs so nice interchangability (is that a word :o )

XTR's won over the Dt's because of ease of dissassembly without lots of tools and ease of service of bearings plus happened to be on CRC as they listed the new race XTR's so thought why not give them a go.

Yes im running mostly XTR with some XT

Santa C

Worked out at about 2700 for front and rear I think funny thing was the rears were sold out a couple of hours later so dont know if they only got a few sets or if they sold their entire stock in a few hours

caad4

Had the rims for a while and choice of spokes was easy but was undecided on Hubs.

It came down to a choice of the Hope pro 2 the Dt swiss 340's and the XTR's (old ones)

Hope lost out because of the noise I cant stand the loudness of the freewheel plus they were not centre lock which is a advantage because of my stock of CL discs and 2 other sets of wheels using CL hubs so nice interchangability (is that a word :o )

XTR's won over the Dt's because of ease of dissassembly without lots of tools and ease of service of bearings plus happened to be on CRC as they listed the new race XTR's so thought why not give them a go.

Yes im running mostly XTR with some XT

Santa C

Worked out at about 2700 for front and rear I think funny thing was the rears were sold out a couple of hours later so dont know if they only got a few sets or if they sold their entire stock in a few hours

Also building up wheelset with those same rims, got them from Stan the Man on line, all went well (my tape arrived with the rims). I got my spokes in from CRC this week, packaged same as above: my parcel was also opened by customs and local PO sat on it for 10 days did not send a slip to PO Box, I had to persuade them to look for it once I had the local tracking number so that parcel took +3 weeks to arrive. Now just waiting for Park Tools Wheel truing rig to come in from UK Bike Store, going to build my own wheels just for a laugh lol.

I went for Hope Pro II rear hub only because I am a hopelessly Hope loyalist (might take JB's tip and grease the funk out of that rachet tho) and for the front lefty hub, I got one direct from Project 321. Actually it was going to be a spare wheelset for my Scalpel 2000, now I am thinking I might build a 'new' 2x10 Scalpel or Rush around them :) Christmas is coming after all.

Edited by kosmonooit

Yes CRC price on the spokes was excellent they were on special think I paid just over 200 rand per set

I bought the rims a while back when CRC had them on sale only paid 1080 for the 2

I am keeping my heavy wheels for a while. Did 52km today and if the weight doesn't kill me it will make me strong

Nice wheels Crasher, good luck with them

I run Pro2's with ZTR 355's, except I like the sound of buzzing like an angry bee. Like Kosmo I enjoy the Hope kit and also have their brakes and other bits and bobs. Your logic on interchangeability does make sense, especially if you have more than one wheelset and stock of rotors. Are you building a carbon Blur?

This is my Blur I will miss the Silver XT stripes as they match the frame quite nicely I think.

Got new pedals to go on and then the wheels and thats it not spending NO more money or doing anything else to it (this project has made me poor :( )

post-6876-000161000 1287688100.jpg

This is my Blur I will miss the Silver XT stripes as they match the frame quite nicely I think.

Got new pedals to go on and then the wheels and thats it not spending NO more money or doing anything else to it (this project has made me poor :( )

Nice, I love that bike. Who you kidding, there is always something else that you will want :lol: