Why is longer better?

Seandmerida96

The problem is that a lotof the races, especially in Gauteng, are not that technical. So doing the 30km is over in an hour, or thereabouts. Almost not worth the effort of getting to the race etc. Hence I ride the longer event as it is a decent 2-3 hours.

If it's a proper XC course, 40k's could take 2-3 hours and be a lot more difficult.

So for me it's more about the terrain. When you get a bit older we tend to have more endurance, so would rather race for a longer time than a short fast busrt.

If a race organiser knows what they are doing, you wouldn't even have a 70k race over very technical terrain. You'd wait forever for the backmarkers to finish.

I agree, its all about ur Goals u set for yourself.

I like the shorter races, its fast and no time for resting, so i think its cool u burning all the way.

On long races u have to save energy, eat correctly, etc etc.

I have done my first 3 day stage race(Cradle Quest) and i was worried if i would finish as i always do the short races and i never trained more than i rode.

And i must say it went great, made sure to eat drink @ right times, but also had a great partner which were helping me through.