Dehydration

Fast R

Rode the Amashova the weekend before last, somehow I think I got dehydrated. Woke up 12h00 that evening hurling my lungs out, felt so bad the next day that I could not drive back to JHB.

1. How do I prevent this (drink enough liquids should not be the answer here)

2. How do I recover, as it is over a week now and I still do not feel 100%

Sounds like more than just dehydration, after a week and you still feel like this?

Could have been something else (bug), so I want to check the forum for the effects of dehydration as I understand that it could be a lot more serious as what us rookies believe.

Sounds a bit like heat exhaustion to me.

My son went through a period when he suffered with it on the bike

"Heat exhaustion symptoms

Warning signs of heat exhaustion include:

heavy sweating

paleness

muscle cramps

tiredness

weakness

dizziness

headache

nausea or vomiting

fainting

The skin may be cool and moist. The victim's pulse rate will be fast and weak, and breathing will be fast and shallow. If heat exhaustion is untreated, it may progress to heat stroke, which is a medical emergency "

Food poisoning. I had it after a DC 2 years ago. We stayed on the wrong side of the N2 in Swellendam. Never again!

Quick sure sign of dehydration is a headache. The next day you normally feel lethargic. Not sure about the throwing up though, I don't think this is a result of being dehydrated.

I think that the problem with Rehidrat is that it is usually far more isotonic than you actually want. It's not really targeted to recover from sport but rather to replace lost fluids after vomiting and diarrhoea. Sweat is hypotonic, so although you lose small amounts of nutrients you actually need water to return your plasma concentration to normal, or really diluted anything other than water.

Agree that it could be head exhaustion...