NCR - Freeway/ Hi-way On-ramps

Caerus

Since when was it ok to not yield for the drivers already on a freeway/ hi-way.

This is just plain stupid behaviour and dangerous driving. Twice today on the way into work I had idiot drivers that do not think that people already on the motorways have right of way and that they must not yield or let alone slow down. It doesn't mean speed up to try make a small gap forcing me into the fast or next lane.

I found it very interesting driving in France and the people already on the freeway gave way. Got back to SA and thought our system is very stupid.

This is just plain stupid behaviour and dangerous driving. Twice today on the way into work I had idiot drivers that do not think that people already on the motorways have right of way and that they must not yield or let alone slow down. It doesn't mean speed up to try make a small gap forcing me into the fast or next lane.

Sounds just like Cape Town. They then get upset if you hoot at them to make them attent to to their dangerous driving.

Sorry to say, but that is a very Durban thing to do. In JHB, if you are on the highway, in the left lane, and you see someone coming into the highway, you get out of the way. We feel that it is more dangerous to stop or yield and then have to accelerate from a standstill on a highway.

You might notice this little problem cropping up when you drive from Berea road onto the N3 towards Pinetown. The cars are all backed up because they don;t have the balls to just GO!!!

I also notice that in DBN, when one indicates, it is a request to allow you into another lane. In JHB, when one indicates, it is a notice that you WILL be changing lanes, so get out of the way.

It's a regional thing.

Oh I see it is a sjarqie - Stormers thingie this!!!!!!!!

I found it very interesting driving in France and the people already on the freeway gave way. Got back to SA and thought our system is very stupid.

So you think we should be yielding for people entering a freeway even though im driving at over 100km/h and they are entering at 60km/h? Im confused a bit by what youre saying :unsure:

So you think we should be yielding for people entering a freeway even though im driving at over 100km/h and they are entering at 60km/h? Im confused a bit by what youre saying :unsure:

for starters you should be entering a hiway at that speed and yes, you should yield or like they do in the first world, go to another lane to past.

A friend who lives in Europe said you give way to those wanting to enter a road/highway etc. Here its the opposite.

Regional or not, its the law for drivers entering the mororway to yield for the traffic already on the freeway, not just expect someone to suddenly move over, maybe also try to use an indicator might help. What happens if I can just move over, must I be slamming my brakes on so I can be rear ended because other road users also dont know what a safe following distance is.

You always yield to traffic on the right..... freeway or not.

for starters you should be entering a hiway at that speed and yes, you should yield or like they do in the first world, go to another lane to past.

Still doesnt always work that way, its morning traffic, I cant always move over, If I could I would. Ive driven in four European countries as well, and maybe its just South African drivers that are really inconsiderate and that they think they each have their own set of rules. If people did come onto the freeway at speed, with an indicator being used then maybe it would work. You cant just expect to be able to flow/fit in with the traffic,.

You always yield to traffic on the right..... freeway or not.

:clap::clap: :clap: Exactly, its the same with poeple trying to use a roundabout here, they have no clue. Its not a my turn situation. You wait till its clear to proceed.

Merge, folks, merge! The car coming in speeds up to find the gap. Not, as in Cape Town, get to the end of the on-ramp and then slam on brakes.

In Germany I stayed with a US army guy for a while, he was posted there, they have what he calls the "zipper-system". It works like a zipper, obviously. They merge, at speed (autobahn). Almost like what we are supposed to do when lanes merge, let one go through from one lane then the other etc.

Seemed to be working quite well, traffic seemed to be less congested.

I would agree with the mergeing of traffic, but unfortunatly this is Africa. The roads/ on-ramps are not well designed enough to be always be able to see the traffic to be able to do this, also there may not be a gap or the ability for a driver already on the motorway to move over or slow down as the person behind me is wanting to sniff my arse they so close . So in this case then you need to yield to traffic to your right (which is a major traffic rule) and wait for a gap. Its simple