Riding on N14 from Avianto to Roodepoort

W1Z@RD

Hi guys,

I ride the cradle every weekend from fourways to avianto then down beyers and back on northumberland. I wanna extend my distance by going to roodepoort then down to clearwater and back.

If I go on the N14 at Avianto to Roodepoort, is that illegal as I don't see any no bicycles like they have if you go the other way. Does this mean it is anormal road and not National from that point?

Any idea before I do it and stain the cyclist image in the cradle further

Hi guys,

I ride the cradle every weekend from fourways to avianto then down beyers and back on northumberland. I wanna extend my distance by going to roodepoort then down to clearwater and back.

If I go on the N14 at Avianto to Roodepoort, is that illegal as I don't see any no bicycles like they have if you go the other way. Does this mean it is anormal road and not National from that point?

Any idea before I do it and stain the cyclist image in the cradle further

The"N" does not mean you may not ride there. You may ride on any road exept those that are specifically signed, as you have noted, and roads that are built as a highway or freeway. This means it has over or under bridges and on and off ramps.

Also use the search function........ This has been debated before.

You must then decide yourself whether you deem the N14 section from the river at Muldersdrift to the robot at Hendrik Potgieter safe enough to ride on.

Edited by Big H

There is a lot of cyclist doing that section. I did it this morning, the blue signs normally indicating highways are only past the Muldersdrift/ avianto off/onramp. I thinbk most people see this as the highway only starting from that section.

That said, the GPS on my phone seems to indicate the highway (or motorway as the phone calls it) only starts at the Beyers Naude offramp.

There is a lot of cyclist doing that section. I did it this morning, the blue signs normally indicating highways are only past the Muldersdrift/ avianto off/onramp. I thinbk most people see this as the highway only starting from that section.

That said, the GPS on my phone seems to indicate the highway (or motorway as the phone calls it) only starts at the Beyers Naude offramp.

The convention normally is that it becomes prohibited from the first entry point before it becomes a highway. Remember if it has over or under bridges with on or off ramps and allows for unimpeded high speed traffic it is a highway. The section from the Muldersdrift interchange back to Hendrik Potgieter has entry to the road at the same level as the roadway itself. This makes it expressway and you may ride her..... Same for Hrndrik Potgieter which is a expressway.

The "M" designated highways in joburg are also highways nab bicycles are prohibited there.

I use that route a lot.

The speed limit has been changed from 120 down to 100 just before you get to this section, travelling towards Krugersdorp.

I believe this should indicate that it is not a highway.

I believe you are allowed to cycle on this area.

Just be careful of the junction at the robot.

The trucks come flying down there.

I use that route a lot.

The speed limit has been changed from 120 down to 100 just before you get to this section, travelling towards Krugersdorp.

I believe this should indicate that it is not a highway.

I believe you are allowed to cycle on this area.

Just be careful of the junction at the robot.

The trucks come flying down there.

Read what I wrote above. Speed DOES NOT INDICATE IF IT IS A HIGHWAY OR NOT. The N1 past Menlyn in Pretoria has a speed limit of 100km/h......... Would you cycle there????????