Bicycling Mag - Pull your socks up!

Eldron

The readers tips are also seriously recycled!! Have you noticed how much thinner the newer issues are?? Find an old one from about 2006/7 and compare!!!!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So maybe we as hub users make a stand and dont buy it till we see the changes.

Personally I think their affiliations with discovery and co is the reason they sell 3 times their nearest competitor not their content.

Sadly I think as long as those affiliations exist they'll keep whipping Ride and co.

That said - there are always people enterring the cycling market and the "standard template" Bicycling formula is useful to them.

I'm going to go with the "vote with my wallet" route. I don't think a full boycott will affect their numbers much but it's worth a try. Change does not happen without pain!!

I'm hoping for a balanced mag that will appeal to everyone. That will be a better result for the cycling industry than trying to drive them out of business.

I sent the duplication posting to Mike and we have had a few emails back and forth - the gist is this:

They sell 3 times as many mags as their nearest competitor using the existing model and will not be changing it.

so did he admit to the error in duplication, or is that part of the 'model'?

so did he admit to the error in duplication, or is that part of the 'model'?

He admitted the duplication error and said he would investigate.

The "model" refes more to the seasonal approach of:

argus build up

94.7 build up

tour de france special edition

how not to get fat in winter

how to lose weight in spring

the usual "go faster and stronger without training

bike guide at the end of the year

Two articles in the same issue. This is not the first time this has happened either!

There has been a couple of time I knew I have seen articles before.

Dont even get me started on the Rider Tips - a new one gets through into the mix every 6 months, the rest is repeated over and over!

I sent them the link to this thread via twitter - lets wait and see!

standard response on twitter:

post-4352-039725800 1288685811.jpg

Can those that requested them to copy an TWO article(s) from an earlier issue please raise your hands?

Edited by Tankman

The "model" refes more to the seasonal approach of:

argus build up

94.7 build up

tour de france special edition

how not to get fat in winter

how to lose weight in spring

the usual "go faster and stronger without training

bike guide at the end of the year

fair enough. it could make business sense but i'm sure they realise that loads of their subs are only because of the deals, not a true indication of demand.

As for the duplication, I wonder how they actually do it. Do you think there's a big zip file coming from the states every month and they get confused between 'cut and past' and 'copy and paste'?

I shouldn't complain too much, my only dealing with bicycling over the last two years has been a shiny pair of shimano mtb shoes, courtesy of those 'rider tips'

Bye-bye-cycling!!

Haven't and will not support them!! I'd rather start smoking... :D

HA Ha.

Lets begin a 'stop buying bicycling mag' supporters group, at the first meeting we can burn old issues(which are the same as new issues ohmy.gif)!

fair enough. it could make business sense but i'm sure they realise that loads of their subs are only because of the deals, not a true indication of demand.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there - they have a great business model and seem to have gone with the "if it aint broke don't fix it" route.

It's a bit like U2 only doing covers for the next 3 albums - people will keep buying the CD's but will be constantly disappointed.

Like I said before - my hope is that they listen to the info in this thread and broaden the scope of the mag to incorporate all cyclists.

Just had a reply on Twitter from BicyclingSA

"We have had a lot of requests for paceline riding & with all the big road races coming up we thought we would re-run the article again."

Just had a reply on Twitter from BicyclingSA

"We have had a lot of requests for paceline riding & with all the big road races coming up we thought we would re-run the article again."

Interesting then that I have an email from the editor saying "as for the article repeat, that is the first time I can remember that happening so will have to check out why."

In January this year, I received a phone call asking if I wanted to renew my "Vitality" subscription, even though I stopped it almost 2 years ago.

I replied saying, "no thanks".

The operator asked, "Is their any reason why you don't want to renew?"

I gave the following reasons:

1. The content is boring - news that I read about months earlier.

He interrupted and said, "We write the articles about 2 months before you receive the magazine"

2. The contect is normally copied directly from the US edition - we don't call the season (between Summer and Winter) Fall, it's Autumn in Souf Afrika.

3. There is often articles that are repeated, i.e. the months leading up to the Argus and 94.7

4. There are more adverts than articles

He then interrupts again and says, "but did you know that as a Vitality member you only pay R90 (I think that was the amount at the time)?"

To which I replied, "I'd rather spend R90 on coffee and a cookie at Seattle Coffee and read the mag at the same time."

That's probably why they started selling the mag in a plastic cover, and haven't read one since.

He then said, "thanks" and put the phone down.

I have since decided to no longer subscribe to any magazine (except for Tread, which IMHO is getting better with each edition).

I cancelled my sub and subscribed to MBAction, better content and more topical, and the cost is about the same.

standard response on twitter:

post-4352-039725800 1288685811.jpg

Can those that requested them to copy an TWO article(s) from an earlier issue please raise your hands?

Looks like they've copied and pasted their Twitter response too - original