Mavic Crossmax slr (1420g) vs American C (1486g)

werner J

The basic fact that the mavic is lighter, wins my vote. But because I dont know the wheels so well, I need you guys to help me make a decision.

W

American classics use normal spokes, so if you break one, anybody can fix.

I'v never had the mavics, but i had american classics on my 26er for 2 years. i bought them for racing, and loved them so much did all my riding on them! they never missed a beat, now i'v got 29er and saving for AC 29er wheels.

BYW i weigh about 80 aswell

The 1420g is for the v-brake SLR edition, the disc is 1520g, and that's without skewers. I would recommend the American Classics as they are 1/2 the price with similar performance. I have not broken a spoke yet, and I weigh 105kg.

Definitely AMclassics. :P

And I have stock!

PS I weigh the same and put mine through endless torture only to have them begging for more.

I was doing a similar comparison over the weekend.

Cheap R3K Shimano XT 1650g vs mid price R5K AC 1480g vs premium priced R8K Mavic Slr's 1420g. Very intresting about the V brake SLR weight being quoted.

Tarmac forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by "I have stock", do you sell American Classics?

I weigh 93kgs and have the American Classics on my Zula. They are better than my Eastons XC One's and my XT's by some distance. My training partner has the Mavics. Awesome wheels too. I paid about 3k less for my American Classics, so I recon I got the better deal.