Carbo Loading while balancing fat intake?

Spat

Hi

So 2 to 3 days before race day have to Carbo Load, but if your overall goal is also to lose weight, how do you balance the fat intake?

Which meals do you have 2 to 3 days before and do you even consider the fat intake.

Its great to think you can just load up with anything but surely there is a smarter way to do this?

Its going slowly, I want to make sure what I have lost stays off and that I can burn off the last few stuborn Kilo's.

I thought I would just get some ideas on what kind of meals people have to carbo load, besides the obvious noodle/pasta...gets kinda boring.

Should you stay away from Pizza for instance and rather go with a pasta

Hi there,

Once again I'm punting a book that I have found very helpful for me. Between this book and Weigh-Less I have lost just over 20 kg's.

It has great advise on how to carbo-load and what to do 2 - 3 days before an event, during the event and after.

I've seen it at Sportmans Warehouse but I'm sure bookstores should have it.

'Eat Smart for Sport' by Liesbet Delport RD (SA) & Paula Volschenk RD (SA)

You'll find it a lot more helpful than some of the 'really' stupid answers or suggestions you'll get here :P

Michelle

Grrrrr another misunderstanding...let me elaborate on my comment. When going into a race you should be peeking therefore have already lost any excess weight that you may have been carrying or built up during base training. In other words if you were 120Kg's and are 115Kg's now then that is your base weight to start the race even though ultimately your goal may be to get to 100kilos. Rome was not built in a day. Our bodies go up and down all the time with weight variances in preparation, be this via muscle building or fat building. Concentrate on the race and what your body needs to do well in the race - if this means a bowl of pasta then a bowl of pasta it is, don't take into account the weight factor - you will have more than enough time to work off the bowl of pasta after the race in training sessions to follow and continue to achieve your goal.

I understand that Splat's overall goal is to loose weight but is he racing to loose weight / have fun (if this is the case worry about the weight factor) or racing for a good time or position (if this is the case eat what you need to do well)?

Stay away from Pizza, rather the Pasta.

Hope this makes things clearer and less Douchier :blink:

Just an interesting little fact right here; carbo-loading is the biggest myth in sports-nutrition. Your muscles can only store 30 odd grams of glycogen and as a result the stores have an upper limit. There is a method of depleting these stores and then through intense training you can raise this limit however this technique is not without its problems and should be performed 3 weeks prior to a big event. I recommend just ensure you consume enough fuel (carbohydrates, fat and protein). Keep in mind that too much carbohydrate will then be converted into fat. Just eat how you do while training. Weight loss should be done pre-season, not just before an even or during the in-season

I agree that the book that was mentioned on this thread is useful, especially if you really serious about your nutritional intake.

You can still carbo-load and not take in a large amount of fats. Carbs do not necessarily have fats in them, except if you taking in pizzas, pastas with creamy sauces, pastries, pies, etc. Although you a bit bored with the usual suspects like rice, pasta, potatoes - these are the better choices when it comes to minimizing fat intake with carbs. Be creative and start experimenting with these stables by using various spices, low fat sauces, herbs, pestos etc. A good place to start is a recipe book called "eating for sustained energy" - they are filled with meals that are low GI and low fat.

So you cant just load up on anything if your goal is to lose weight. In fact most people who are serious about their cycling and dont necessarily need to lose weight probably dont just eat anything and hope for the best. Eating "junk" could impede your performance.

The trouble with trying to lose weight and doing sports events like cycling is that you have to be VERY patient because you need to take in enough carbs before, during and after an event, especially for the longer rides (more than 40-50kms). With carbo-loading you are essentially eating more carbs than you want to while trying to lose weight and excess carbs could mean weight gain. But this is not a huge train smash cuz once the event is over you can go back to your weight loss eating plan and you will continue to lose weight, plus you are using alot of those carbs stored as energy during the ride, if not some fat as well (depending on the intensity and other factors). Ultimately this will mean that your weight loss goals will take a little longer than usual.

The key is that you dont go and blow your efforts by eating high fat/sugar foods as part of your preparation for an event (as mentioned above). As this could mean that you will maintain (or gain) weight, rather than lose it!

Hope that helps.

i agree with douchebag,

the only people who should be trying to lose weight just before ANY sporting event are (badly prepared) wrestlers or boxers that have to make a certain category, or not compete at all.

Grrrrr another misunderstanding...let me elaborate on my comment. When going into a race you should be peeking therefore have already lost any excess weight that you may have been carrying or built up during base training. In other words if you were 120Kg's and are 115Kg's now then that is your base weight to start the race even though ultimately your goal may be to get to 100kilos. Rome was not built in a day. Our bodies go up and down all the time with weight variances in preparation, be this via muscle building or fat building. Concentrate on the race and what your body needs to do well in the race - if this means a bowl of pasta then a bowl of pasta it is, don't take into account the weight factor - you will have more than enough time to work off the bowl of pasta after the race in training sessions to follow and continue to achieve your goal.

I understand that Splat's overall goal is to loose weight but is he racing to loose weight / have fun (if this is the case worry about the weight factor) or racing for a good time or position (if this is the case eat what you need to do well)?

Stay away from Pizza, rather the Pasta.

Hope this makes things clearer and less Douchier :blink:

Douche status revoked :thumbup:

Thanks guys lots of valuable info there, I have a long term goal to lose weight, enjoying the racing and trying to move up the seeding ladder so my short term goals is to do well at the races.

Was just trying to bring the two worlds together or keep the long term goal in sight while still making sure I am race ready and wont feel like I needed to stock up on anything else before hand.

Have chatted to a few other hubbers that I have allot of respect for because they are quite far up the seeding ladder an driding sub vets and the general consensus from them are they eat like they do normally and dont "carbo load".