Iron Man Tips

The Saint

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know how far you have swam when doing the open water stuff? One of the main reasons I only practice in the pool.

You go by time or put a Garmin under a second swim cap.

Saint, my 1st 70.3 as well, very exciting. I don't know whether i must buy a tri suit or a full wetsuit to swim in? I suppose it depends on the water temp on the day :D

Lol yes thanks. I am still going to ask for a normal clock. Would just like to know if I got in the pool at 12:30 and out at 13:15 that I had done 45 mins of training - I don't own a watch.

theres normal clocks all aorund the gyms. don't tell me you ar blind as well. :D

Grrrrr the Virgin has one of those funny clocks with a black and red arrow by the pool, I don't know what the hell that thing is used for - going to suggest they put up a normal clock by the pool.

The pool clock is very useful. Swimming speed is often measured in min/100m. This clock can help you monitor your pace so you don't swim too fast or slow. It can also be used to get your rest intervals right.

theres normal clocks all aorund the gyms. don't tell me you ar blind as well. :D

Dude I promise there is not one normal clock around the pool area at the VA in Boksburg - Heh heh anyways off to go train now gotta bike and run this afternoon and the wind is howling outside - I'm gonna *** bricks

The pool clock is very useful. Swimming speed is often measured in min/100m. This clock can help you monitor your pace so you don't swim too fast or slow. It can also be used to get your rest intervals right.

Right now I'm concentrating on not drowning :D I am up to 1km now without too much effort, I am concentrating more on completing the distance rather than the time factor - once I am confident that I can do the 1.9km's then I will start to work with the black red clock thingie now that I know what it is used for. ;)

Take your time over 100m in the pool and use that as an estimate. In open water you may be a bit faster because you don't have all those turns.

You'll be slower as there are no walls to kick off from (and no line to follow). I loose 5sec+ per 100m going from 25m pool to open water.

On the open water swim front, find a dam or something and measure the length on google maps.

That should cover the distance issue. But practising sighting, and learning how to swim in straight line without the line at the bottom of the pool is vital!

Right now I'm concentrating on not drowning :D I am up to 1km now without too much effort, I am concentrating more on completing the distance rather than the time factor - once I am confident that I can do the 1.9km's then I will start to work with the black red clock thingie now that I know what it is used for. ;)

Be sure to not just try and swim distance. Get a swimming coach to look at your stroke (once a month is enough) and give you some drills to correct. It is really worth it and will help your swimming more than any distance training. Swimming should not be hard work, leave that for the bike and run :)

You better run and cycle hills a lot and practice in the heat of the day as it gets hot in EL.

I would suggest you use a wetsuit for the swim.You better also swim a bit in the sea as it is very different from a pool.

You will enjoy the day if you go prepared.

Not so much a training tip but its kind of relevant to the Iron man.

Iron Man is a hero.

Iron Woman is a command.

wahahahaha.

Not so much a training tip but its kind of relevant to the Iron man.

Iron Man is a hero.

Iron Woman is a command.

wahahahaha.

I take it your still single? :P

Well Saint, send me a PM, and I can send you some swim workouts that I get from my coach, if you're interested. There's a huge group of us that meets once a week so 4 different workouts for all types of fitness levels.

I take it your still single? :P

Can you tell? mmmmm; I've got to stop saying stuff like that... Sorry.

Did my first brick run yesterday - I think that is what it is called - 1 Hour on the bike 32km's with an ass kicking head wind then a 30 min run for 6km's.

Legs felt like I had springs in them when I started my run and I was motoring for about 50 meters then reality set in and I laboured for the other 5km950m :cursing:

K so lessons learnt yesterday are the following - too hard a ride on the bike makes for a *** run.

Consuming too much fluids on the bike makes for a run full of pains in the stomach aka a *** run