For all you commuters out there

kaliel

Great post, thanks. I am very fortunate in that I live about 12Km by various backroads and trails from work in Cape Towns' S Sburbs. I commute every day and its a part of my day I look forward to. When the rain is pouring or the wind howling or I need to get to work without a sweat I ride my single speed mtb with EZ-bike electrical conversion (does about 35km on a charge, no pedalling required), for the rest my X-country mtb is the business, flying over gaps, jumps, humps and trails it's a real jol. For trips to the city I have just picked up a Giant Halfway folding bike (available locally through any Giant dealer). Average spec, pretty well rated,reasonably priced, folds easily and it rides amazingly well. With this baby I can zip down to the metro, catch the train into town, do my business with no parking hassles and get home for a couple of bucks. Folding bikes are also great for any travel as they fit into the boot or checked luggage on the plane and you have a pretty decent ride on the other side - I would recommend one for anyone who travels a lot - especially to big cities around the world where getting around becomes real fun. Regarding local infrastructure the CT City must be commended - the new BRT system is designed around biking with dedicated cycle lanes and buses that are bike friendly - I just wonder sometimes where all the other cyclists are?

I say give us his e-mail addy we can all send him a nice personalized letter asking him to install cycling routes.

• 1 year later...
In SA we will always struggle to get bicycle commuting on the go

Maybe you've been looking at the wrong roads ... I see a TON of commuters every day on their bikes. What I don;t see a lot of, is (dare I say it) white middle class persons cycling to work. :)

if the rain catches you , you can only get so wet , then it dont matter anymore :-)

+10 000 - Nat is nat :D

In this context, what would your definition of white middleclass be? If you're implying people with other means of transport, ie car choosing to commute to work by bike, then I'm proud to be one, and so would be the app 60% of people riding on the cycle path each day?

zeabre, yes I'm referring to people who own a car and still cycle to work. I'm also one. I see quite a few of those every day, but I see TONS of people that you simply know don't own a car. I'm in Pretoria ... no cycle paths to speak of at all.

It would be awesome if more people left the car at home and pedal to work :)

Cycling to work for me is round the block and back.

muhahahaha

(love working from home)

:clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Did my first one this morning. 16km one way from Virgin Active 14th Avenue to Randburg. took 50 miinutes on the MTB. Can feel my body "what the hell did you do?" Its not the easiest of rides. Especially the last 5k or so. Haven't ridden in ages in the mornings. Bit cool. Had a basin wash. We do have a shower, but it just takes too long.

Good thread... I've commuted to work a few times.. About a 40km return trip.. And try to stick to the pavements or the dirt where i can. From Lonehill to Midrand, Corporate park North... Quite a ride in the mornings.. Probably wont be doing it in winter though... But when the sun comes up before 6 again.. I reckon it could be the way forward.. :). Also need to go see clients during the day sometimes, so riding everyday is not possible.. and its also not normally planned very well..

But I think if more people commuted on their bikes, it would be awesome!!! There is the commuters challenge on endomondo aswell.. some people are doing some serious commuting... :)

i've seen one the other day in that canoe shop in rivonia. i asked about it cos i was curios: it looked like a proper mountain bike, not just a get-me-to-office-from-the-station bike - i don't know how much abuse the pivots where it folds, would hold. i took a pamphlet at the time, but never googled the bike - i guess you could go check it out - it stands at the till, dark green.

Sounds like a Montague Paratrooper -> http://www.montaguebikes.com