What is a lifetime guarantee

Vetseun

This Dude I know recently discovered a crack in his MTB frame. I am not going to mention the brand. Well no problem, he took the bike to the dealer. The dealer confirmed that the frame had a lifetime guarantee. When the supplier was contacted they confirmed that the frame had a lifetime guarantee, however internationaly the realistic lifetime of a bicycle frame is considered to be 5 years, this frame was 5 and a half years old. Due to this the supplier refused to replace the frame.

Some view points would really be appreciated.

Please tell us the brand... want to know what to buy... I know a leatherman also has a lifetime guarantee but that only last for 25years... 5 years sounds decent though, friend of mine trek had a 3 year one and broke at 2 1/2.

The question is really "What do's it say on the warranty.?

If on the warranty they state they consider "lifetime" to equate to 5 years, well yeah, they are within their rights, but if not..........you have a case.

This c**p is the reason why SA is introducing the Consumer Protection Act (CPA)- for too long in this country the consumer has had no rights and has been pushed from pillar to post - thats gonna change come March 2011.Pity its a bit late for him though :huh: .

Depends on what the guarentee says. Lifetime guarentee of paint coming of is different to lifetime guarentee not to break. There are legal implications to these things. You get shop guarentees, manufacturers have theirs... good luck.

The adverts say lifetime warranty but when you check small print,it's the lifetime of the frame and not the rider...so about 5 years.

The adverts say lifetime warranty but when you check small print,it's the lifetime of the frame and not the rider...so about 5 years.

You think they would tell you that when purchasing the bike... :thumbdown:

Cannondale maybe?

I would put up the biggest fight of my entire life and (if they still refuse) make their name SH!T in public as far as I can go. I broke 2 mtb frames before (with normal XC riding) and had them replaced - no questions asked. If they refuse a next time, I would throw my toys and spatter their name all over the hub and to everybody I know.

Paying R20k for 3kg's of aluminium is right up there with the most expensive metal component that money can buy. If it doesn't last, it's not your problem. Also not your reponsibility to pay the R20k.

my 2c

Edited by rudi-h

guarantee relates to the performance of the seller

warranty relates to the performance of the product

What we are talking about is a lifetime warranty

A couple of manufacturers offered lifetime warranties. Almost all have stopped. If he has his original invoice he should have no trouble with his claim. The manufacturer cannot unilaterally change the terms of the warranty. If he doesn't have the original invoice, however, he will not have a claim.

NB read the terms and conditions of the warranty agreement carefully!!

You think they would tell you that when purchasing the bike... :thumbdown:

Well, with the CPA coming into force in March they will have to inform you - unfortunately, in the past, they prefered not to say anything as "Lifetime" sounds too good to the average purchaser, who takes it on face value.

In any event the moral of the story is really, "Read the guarantee carefully" including all the fine print so theres no surprises later.

lifetime warranty - effective till the frame brakes, that would be the end of it's "life", hence the end of the lifetime warranty as well. (just joking)

Check the invoice and warranty doc. Also consider using the Small Claims Court. Can work really well and its cheap, plus the law (for a change) is in your favour.

C'mon...5 years of constant abuse of MTB frame???

I'd recon he did not do too badly??

Maybe a Pro rata payment of the original cost of frame??

Lifetime means the lifetime of the original owner which means no invoice no claim.

warranty does not cover:

* Normal wear and tear

* Improper assembly

* Improper follow-up maintenance

* Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for or compatible with the bicycle as sold

* Damage or failure due to accident, misuse, abuse, or neglect

With all the above do you actually have a warranty claim at the end of the day?

Personally, as your average consumer, I would take "Lifetime" to refer to the lifetime of the original purchaser. Especially with manufacturers stating rubbish like "The warranty only applies to the original purchaser". Can't wait for that Consumer Protection Act!

I'd be very interested to see what comments come from people connected to the manufacturing industries (cycling or otherwise).

I get cross when the manufactuers use "life" time quarantee, but they print small writing like 3mnths for paint work and 5years for frame... I noticed when they replaced my frame because the paint peeled off after 2 mnths.. Luckily under 3 mths.... They must stop saying "life time" I never believe it, that is why I have bike insurance, in case they don't cover it....

Why do the manufacturers stipulate that it only applies to the original purchaser? Surely if the frame has a lifetime guarantee then it should not matter if it is the first or second owner. I think they rely on the fact that the bike will cvhange hands before it breaks and therefore the guarantee falls away.

For me lifetime on the frame is lifetime, not 3months or 5years or until the bike changes hands.