DC Preperation

Graveldonkey

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will most likely see ronnie's sex shop on the way. Good furburgers

I am not sure that we should be eating burgers while busy with such a strict training plan. But thank you for the advice.

Does that shop not maybe do some healthy pastas?

GD, I will join you on the 30km, I might fall back after 20kms or so, but please do not wait for me, I will catch up with you at the car park again.

Will you bring my bangle for me? Are we going to label the bangles numerically so we can each know our place in the order of our mini pelaton?

so then the bands are a good idea? i would just like a Yes or a No?

are there any food stops on the DC route? it seems like we might not have a backup vehicle for the DC. i have advised my team mates to take Camelbacks for extra water incase we run out. who knows how long we will be riding.

For the first stop I would suggest the take away at the BP garage at Buffeljagsrivier. By that stage you would have done at least 10km and they make a very nice toasted ham and cheese sarmie, service is a bit slow but it will give you time to catch your breath. At Suurbraak there is a tannie that bakes fresh doughnuts, she stays in that house with the two chimneys on the left as you come into the village.

When you get to the T junction at Barrydale where the route takes a left towards Montagu, turn right there and up the hill on your left is another BP garage, they also have nice pies. We used six of their pies to stabilise my one buddy who accidently overdosed on Rennies. Further on in Barrydale are some classy restaurants where you can sit down and order a proper meal.

On the way to Montagu you pass at least two farm stalls. In Montagu I can recommend the buffet at the hotel at the springs. Good food man!

Ashton is a bit of a culinary backwater, but i remember at least four cafes, I also remember the ladies bar on the right as you exit the town, I am not sure what kind of take aways is on the menu, but my friend Ricardo , says it is hot. Good thing because I don't like cold food.

Robertson has a KFC, I also buy wine from La Verne, the sales girl is always friendly.

I seem to have a bit of amnesia, cause I cannot remember any shops along the rest of the route. This is the stage where I eat from the cool bag that I usualy strap to my carrier, eggs, sausage, cold chicken and Oros.

With a bit of planning you will have more than enough to eat along the route.

OMF! you lot are hilarious :blink: :thumbup: :clap: You guys get your starting times yet? I got mine today - doesn't look like a very early start.

This is the stage where I eat from the cool bag that I usualy strap to my carrier, eggs, sausage, cold chicken and Oros.

With a bit of planning you will have more than enough to eat along the route.

Hi Mr Legs,

Where did you buy these special cool bags? Are they made specially for road racing bikes, cause I do not like those big ones you see on tv when the people do long trips on their mountain bikes. Do you perhaps have picture you can post for me?

Please let me know, as I would love to buy this, take into account I am in Cape Town, so a shop close here that sells them would be preferred.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Mr Legs,

Where did you buy these special cool bags? Are they made specially for road racing bikes, cause I do not like those big ones you see on tv when the people do long trips on their mountain bikes. Do you perhaps have picture you can post for me?

Please let me know, as I would love to buy this, take into account I am in Cape Town, so a shop close here that sells them would be preferred.

Thanks for the help.

ABCO

Below is a piccie of my cooler box, I have a dynamo that runs against the rear wheel, this powers the fan in the cooler.

And another matter I never said anything about a road racing bike. You are no doubt aware that on the DC website they said that it is only a race for a few select teams, for the rest of us it is a social event.I don't use my Peter Alan that my dad gave me in st 9, I use the more comfortable Bomber for longer trips.

post-10812-0-86724000-1290166114.jpg

you guys are funny, i give you that.

But i have to apologize to u all, seems like you were right. DC is next Saturday. was a bit strange why they would have it on a Monday after Christmas. (27th Dec).

so it does seem that i am in a bit of a predicament. what do you guys suggest doing? i still have this weekend left to train. any last week prep tricks?

But i have to apologize to u all, seems like you were right. DC is next Saturday. was a bit strange why they would have it on a Monday after Christmas. (27th Dec).

so it does seem that i am in a bit of a predicament. what do you guys suggest doing? i still have this weekend left to train. any last week prep tricks?

With no humour implied, if you are truly and genuinely in the predicament of thinking that 27th Dec was the actual date... rest! And prayer! (And hope your teammates have cronically overtrained so you can keep up and then comment on how you feel great for the amount of training you have done. Hey it will make you feel better through km's 80 through 202)

A few long slow rides is all that's going to do anything for you now! But good luck, dude! And give us feedback - this thread could go on a few more pages! :)

Not much you can do. Take it easy before the race. Pointless going balls to the wall now, just a week before the event (unless your avatar name is F.R.A.I.L and you do 1.5 times the DC route in a day followed by the same the next day for 3/4 days from CT up to JHB just to do a race in JHB and then ride back to CT for the DC)... my 2c

so riding a intense 180km tomorrow will do nothing?

p.s. i recieved my starting time... Who is awake at 6:30am in the morning, nevermind starting a cycle race. thats just rediculous!!

Mr Legs, Nevermind, Iam at the Sandton Convention Centre for work, and just saw they have a 94.7 cycling expo down stairs!

and by the way, what has Peter Alan got to do with cycling, isnt he that cool English singer guy who wrote that awesome song All About Us! ?

They have brilliant Cooler Bag carriers for bikes, already bought one, so excited.

They also have a 1995 Orbea that was apprenently used by some dude called Michael Andersson to win the Rapport back then(whatever that means), I have put in an offer to buy it, only 15k, and I think I will get it. Hold thumbs.

So if anybody wants to buy my Scott Speedster S6 with 105s, please PM me, going price is - R10 000.00

GD, sheez dude, 06:30 is very early, you might need to call me awake depending how much uncle jack and I chat the night before.

Edited by ArchedBackChinOut

Ride to Swellendam and back.

That should be some good bonding time with your new bike.

Take a multi tool to make some adjustments to your set-up on the way.

Ashton is a bit of a culinary backwater,

culinary backwater maybe, but a plonk drinker's paradise - they sell vino at the petrol station cheap cheap - bring you own bottle/camelback/used-papsak/whatever! :P

so riding a intense 180km tomorrow will do nothing?

p.s. i recieved my starting time... Who is awake at 6:30am in the morning, nevermind starting a cycle race. thats just rediculous!!

It will do something, I'm sure... I just don't know what. My bet would be that it bolsters my prayer suggestion above.

6:30 is cool... there are a lot of cocks up at that time on farms throughout the Swellendam region. And cyclists, too. And if you can't beat them, join them. the cyclists, I mean, not the... oh, nevermind. ;)

Mr Legs, Nevermind, Iam at the Sandton Convention Centre for work, and just saw they have a 94.7 cycling expo down stairs!

and by the way, what has Peter Alan got to do with cycling, isnt he that cool English singer guy who wrote that awesome song All About Us! ?

They have brilliant Cooler Bag carriers for bikes, already bought one, so excited.

They also have a 1995 Orbea that was apprenently used by some dude called Michael Andersson to win the Rapport back then(whatever that means), I have put in an offer to buy it, only 15k, and I think I will get it. Hold thumbs.

So if anybody wants to buy my Scott Speedster S6 with 105s, please PM me, going price is - R10 000.00

GD, sheez dude, 06:30 is very early, you might need to call me awake depending how much uncle jack and I chat the night before.

i have to admit R10K is a bit over the top for s a Scott, Silly money, i would rather invest that money in a duplex in Parklands for a better return.

Make sure you get two bands per rider and wear one on each ankle. Only one band will mean one leg is more power balanced than the other.

Another good option is the multi-rider band - made to order according to the size of your team. Easy to keep the group together this way. You'll be in good shape to take the first full team home prize.

Thats all good an well, but can you order them with numbers on them. We need to know in what order to ride, cycling is team sport. Well thats what Supercycling says atleast.