Inefficiency in the cycling industry?

Abd7

:thumbdown:

Having recently gotten into road cycling, this has been my experience.

1:

Ordered 2 bikes from a reputable store. One for my brother and one for me, two different models of the same brand. (Merida road race 903 and 901) .

Was told the bikes need to be ordered, so they send through our measurements and the supplier picks the size based on them and sends them the bikes.

Only one (the 903) was in stock, drove about 80km to pick it up and another 80km back home.

The 901 was received in stock about 2 weeks later, parents were going to be in the area so they picked it up and brought it home, now noticed somethings majorly wrong.

The bikes were the wrong sizes, the bigger bike (M/L) was meant to be for my brother (901) , and the smaller (S/M) for me (903). Ended up being the opposite way around, with the 901 being in size S/M and the 903 being size M/L. Which was a bit of a problem. Apparently the suppliers made a mistake and swapped the sizes/models around.

Decided to keep the M/L 903 for my bro since we had already used it, and swap out (with extra payin) the S/M 901 for a S/M 903 for me. This bike is apparently now no longer in stock , and it going to take almost a month till they receive stock of the 903.

In the meantime, I've still got the (waiting to be returned) 901 at home. Have asked to be given a 2nd hand bike to use for the month, was told they would get back to me by end of yesterday, still waiting for the reply.

2:

Ordered 5 products from a reputable online cycle shop.

Picked up the package from the post office today,

Two out of the 5 products were the wrong items.

Had ordered black pedals, received silver.

Had ordered a wireless speedo, received the wired version.

Im used to spot on delivery of products when ordering PC parts and the like online .

Am i just very unlucky?? Or are these type of experiences normal in this industry??

Edited by SkyW

I have only had joy every time I've ordered so far. Bought from Planet X- a set of wheels no problem and naturally from CRC(ok that is UK ) but got it no problem. Clothing the same no problem. Hopefully it was a single event for you. Good luck

With the recession, I guess it is hard to supply stock.

And even suppliers are not holding loads of stock.

My view.

It is tough out there. :blink:

I guess the bike yes thats the suppliers fault stock low recession etc..

But sending 2/5 wrong products on an online order? 40% wrong items? That cant be blamed on the recession lol

Zernie , will consider CRC as well now when purchasing online, reason i havent is with all the import duties and extra to pay its just easier to buy locally

Edited by SkyW

Never had a problem before with online shops. It always helps the situation if you speak to the owner of the bike shop or management and tell him/her of the bad service, frustration etc. They don't want your bad experience being repeated here or spreading by word of mouth, and eventually they lose more business not just yours.

Kick ass at the shop.

Have tried phoning but they were closed..have emailed them and will see how they deal with the issue..If its not dealt with well will name n shame. Have heard many good things bout them and everyone makes mistakes so il give them the benefit of the doubt

Have tried phoning but they were closed..have emailed them and will see how they deal with the issue..If its not dealt with well will name n shame. Have heard many good things bout them and everyone makes mistakes so il give them the benefit of the doubt

Well if you have only heard good things about the bike shop then I am sure that it is CWC online I also know that there is a new guy that started recently there so there might be the problem. If its not them then sorry for saying so. But if it is them just pick up the phone tomorrow and speak to JNR himself and if his not there ask for Christoff.

Good luck

The slow supply of the bikes is nonsense. I ordered a 2011 Merida 904 race lite from Westdene and they had to get it from Cytek (The Merida distributor) becuase I ordered an XL which they didn't have in stock. It was ready for me to collect within 24 hours.

hmmm i wonder.. :/

they told me they have contacted the supplier and no one has stock of the 903, not even other shops that the supplier has sold to have any left

Will give cytek a call

Edited by SkyW

Mine was 6 weeks ago. Unless there are stock shortages due to 94.7. Have you spoken to the distributor directly? I have dealt with them on a couple of occassions on both MTB and road and found the guys helpful and quick to respond.

Will give them a call and ask whats the story...They dont sell direct to the public though im guessing?

They won't sell direct but I am sure they will help unless there really are stock issues. Give Derek Edwards a call on (011) 363 2211. Good luck

..... I've spent the last 3 days sorting out a car's paperwork. (drove 300km in total)

Reeeaaaaly tested my patience.

I think it is a South African thing..

Problem is: we accept it.

I am not accepting this any longer.

Ek maak k@k totdat ek gelukkig is.

I always use Chainreaction Cycles, Wiggle and Shiny Bikes to purchase cycling goods. Even with import duties on clothing it's much cheaper than in SA and stock availability rarely a problem. No import duties are charged on bicycle components.

Check out the following:

* www.chainreactioncycles.com

* www.wiggle.co.uk

* www.shinybikes.com