29er Tyre Choice

Aggies

I finally decided to go with the WTB Wolverine 2.2. Something called Wolverine can't be bad right? :)

This is not a tubeless ready tire (supposedly), and I'm using my stock Giant wheelset(non-tubeless). Got them to inflate tubeless with a footpump using a Stan's conversion, and they have been holding air perfectly. Had a long ride in the rocky Montagu area this week and no problems so far.

Ready for Attekwas (mini)!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have bought the same bike and had the same issue with the tire exploding off the rim, I currently have the bontrager xr on - what have u changed to, are you happy?

I have bought the same bike and had the same issue with the tire exploding off the rim, I currently have the bontrager xr on - what have u changed to, are you happy?

Was that directed at me?

I changed from the Maxxis Aspen that came stock with the bike to WTB Wolverine 2.2. Have done about 100km so far and no problems. Quite like them thus far, but haven't ridden on very varied terain yet. Even though it's not a tubeless ready tire, and the Giant rims aren't tubeless ready I didn't have any problems converting to tubeless using Stan's.

http://wtb.com/products/tires/29er/wolverine29er/

http://twentynineinches.com/2010/01/14/wtb-wolverine-mid-term/

I believe that you must have been quoting my post as I was the only one mentioning the tire exploding from the rim. It was the Bontrager XDX tubeless ready tire which was meant for the rear and a Jones XR for the front. When the tire came off at less than 3 bar, I did not want to trust the Bontragers anymore. What will stop it from just exploding of the rim while riding? Also did research and found these to be rated very poorly. Returned the tires and got Contitnental non UST tires.

Mountain King 29x2.4 for the front and Race King 29x2.2 for the rear. It seams much better and I will try them on varied terrain tomorrow. Also will be doing 1st race with them on Sunday.

My research found that the Conti's was the most realiable tire and I have not found anyone complaining about the tire comming off the rim.

I used Cont Race king front and back for most of last year, very nice only if you run them soft on rocky stuff the puncture easy

Have changed to Bont XR1 Team issue very very nice done just over 1000km on them and good but much lower volume 1.9 so harder ride

Ran all above tubeless, first with Stan's and then changed to NO More Flats last week so far so good, looks thicker than stans

I recently bought a Giant XTC 29er that came stock with Maxxis Aspen tyres. The tyres are quite nice actually and ride really well, and they are very light, but due to the racy nature they puncture so freakin easy!

I really want to convert to tubeless, but I don't wanna do it with the Aspens with those paperthin sidewalls. What would be a good 29er choice? I can't seem to find any UST/LUST 29er tyres on the regular online shops...

I'm not too concerned with weight, I would rather get something that doesn't puncture easily and gives me peace of mind on the long rides.

Conti's get punctures too easily ; even with slime. The wear out very quickly on tarred roads - that is for some of us who cannot avoid abit of road riding.

• 4 months later...

Another option that you can try is the Geax Sugaro's. I have them on my SS 29er and they are good. I Have just bought some Racing Ralph 2.25's that I will be trying next on my geared 29er. Had Race Kings on but have destroyed the back one (side wall cut) which I replaced with the new Tubeless Ready Botrager team 2.0 which I am not happy with.

Did you struggle to fit yours? I mean really struggle? I broke 3 tyre levers yesterday trying to get the 29" Saguaro's on my AM Classics ..... Not even close and that was trying to get one side on, before even adding Stans etc.

Did you struggle to fit yours? I mean really struggle? I broke 3 tyre levers yesterday trying to get the 29" Saguaro's on my AM Classics ..... Not even close and that was trying to get one side on, before even adding Stans etc.

I also run Saguaro's on my AMC rims - broke two tyre levers to fit them - but boy, once they are on they seal perfectly - even before Stans - and they are fantastic to ride on.

Dreading the day I might get into serious mud (like knysna some rainy years)

I am worried about road side repairs - Got a bad sidewall cut and used a plug, but any worse and I would have to get them off to insert a patch etc. Not looking forward to try removing them on the trail somewhere.

This is not my tyre/rim but it an exact representation of what it happening to me. it's all good and well Geax having awesome tyres but when you are not able to fit them .... I've heard quotes about these tyres that it's like trying to fit a 26" tyre to a 29" rim! It's that tight.

That is my fear - road-side repairs will not be possible at all! I'm in fear of damaging the white powder coating on my rim firstly and secondly of nicking the rim tape ... I think I'm going to take the said tyre/rim combo to the LBS and have them fit it and if they can't, I'll be asking for my money back!

post-7393-0-52537600-1306075783.jpg

It can be a case of all the tape and strips inside the rim. Had the same with road tyre a few years ago. Replaced the thick rimstrip with thinner strip and tyre fitted. Apperently you do not need ripstrip anymore. Just tape the holes close and fit a valve.

The American Classic had very little tape - maybe 3 layers at most. Don't want to level the blame at Geax or AM. They just don't seem to work together, like Stans and Geax as well, same problem.

• 2 weeks later...

So what did you replace the Geax tyres with - I have the same problem?

Cheers