94.7 MTB - Joburg's k@kest race?

JarradVZ

Fruity, at last! Someone who knows what a decent MTB route should be about.

WillG, I never said it was easy to design a course. This is not a fun ride. It is advertised as a race and a good few pros are there fighting it out. The MTB race with the biggest budget on the calendar should use some of that budget on route design. That's all.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WillG, I never said it was easy to design a course. This is not a fun ride. It is advertised as a race and a good few pros are there fighting it out. The MTB race with the biggest budget on the calendar should use some of that budget on route design. That's all.

Tim, I could be way off but my guess is that the course is very tame for a Kermit Air 9.

The one issue you have with a race like this, are the masses, the course designers cater for the masses, I was marshaling at the 25/50 km. split.

The guys who rode under 2h:30 would have found the race very tame, the rest of the people were only too happy that they survived. You won't believe how many 50 km. riders took the 25 km. split.

The roadies looking for a challenge should do The Jock, the rest just want to get that "I finished the 94.7" behind their name.

The MTB race is fast following suit.

Tim, I could be way off but my guess is that the course is very tame for a Kermit Air 9.

The one issue you have with a race like this, are the masses, the course designers cater for the masses, I was marshaling at the 25/50 km. split.

The guys who rode under 2h:30 would have found the race very tame, the rest of the people were only too happy that they survived. You won't believe how many 50 km. riders took the 25 km. split.

The roadies looking for a challenge should do The Jock, the rest just want to get that "I finished the 94.7" behind their name.

The MTB race is fast following suit.

Was that Timmy on the other Kermit Niner? Nice seat dude :D

Lets face it - given the terrain that they have to work with the 94.7 mtb race will never be a technically challenging "real" mtb race. It's mostly dirt paths, roads with the occassional "single track" transition them.

To expect anything remotely "knarly" is just silly. It's the people's race designed for the masses - which will make it a slightly boring race with a few muddy and/or technical aspects.

Enjoy it for what it is not what it isn't. If you can't do that then perhaps a few of the MTN XC nationals are for you.

Anton - I didn't really see the marshalls but I did see some muppit on his back with a camera and a SS in the background ;-)

Was that Timmy on the other Kermit Niner? Nice seat dude :D

Lets face it - given the terrain that they have to work with the 94.7 mtb race will never be a technically challenging "real" mtb race. It's mostly dirt paths, roads with the occassional "single track" transition them.

To expect anything remotely "knarly" is just silly. It's the people's race designed for the masses - which will make it a slightly boring race with a few muddy and/or technical aspects.

Enjoy it for what it is not what it isn't. If you can't do that then perhaps a few of the MTN XC nationals are for you.

Anton - I didn't really see the marshalls but I did see some muppit on his back with a camera and a SS in the background ;-)

That muppit only took some pics when he could, the rest of the time he was shouting 25 right 50 left :lol:

Ps. I am just guessing the other Kermiter might have been Tim.

Spot on boys, 99.9% of the riders I have chatted to enjoyed the ride for what it was.

A Route in the middle of JHB will always be testing to develop especially with all the development taking place.

I was in charge of assisting in the route design and building, and people do not understand the difficulties involved in organising a race that goes through terrain that changes every day, ensuring we get approval from the prison and Gautrain and build the during time I have taken off work.

The aim this year was to improve on last year, namely no bottle necks and having a contingency plan in place if we had floods and mud.

All in all a successful ride was had by majority, no bottle necks, no riders getting lost and an international starting line up the Epic would have been proud off ( Ps they all enjoyed the route... that might have been due to the fact they were riding a bit faster than most)

I believe in the 80/20 principle and as long as improvement is achieved, I can accept the odd whiner as there will always be 1.

Ps if you are looking for a route with scenery drive 4 hours to Sabie or Mankele.

But I believe in trying to listen to all, even tennis players, so next year I will include some more single track and will make it a bit easier so you can crack the 2 hour mark.

I was very sceptical about the race as I had heard bad things in the past.

But you guys are'nt taking it for what it is, a MTB race in the middle of JHB and Sandton, its never gonna come close to places like the magalies and parys for example. Its just not practical.

I actually enjoyed the route and thought it was really well ut together, well marked, good water points and a great vibe.

I partoculary enjoyed the comments from the prisoners as we rode past :)

I'd do it again.

Thanks for the great support at the split Anton, was much appreciated. :clap: :clap:

Shot bud, it was strange no to race but I had a blast, plenty positive comments from riders on the course as well :thumbup:

I did the 50km and enjoyed it a lot. I guess its a attitude thing, when I go out for a ride or do a race, I like the unknown and diversity. It might be the occasional prison or building wasteland its all different scenery.

Was there more single track, everyone would have moaned about the congestion it would cause. Don't think you will ever keep all happy.

I am not a professional cyclist but definitely no "hacker", I think we forget what it is all about (ok, for me any-case) - #1 ENJOYMENT #2 Beating your PB

If I miss my PB because of a "hacker" in front of me on the single track, so be it, it's a new cyclist learning about the joys of cycling :thumbup:

and last weekend teak place was too technical, too hot, too much climbs ...

I did not go to JHB expecting KZN single track, but I think the route builders could look for a few sections to build single track on. Karkloof started a few years ago, adding to the route each year. It is now one of the best marathons out there with a bull run of note. I will be back but think the organsiers should have a long term plan to develop the race into a top notch course.

Nah, my Air 9 is "Raw". Did see the 2 kermits just in front of me at the bike wash. I must say that my eyes were trained on something else though...

Nah, my Air 9 is "Raw". Did see the 2 kermits just in front of me at the bike wash. I must say that my eyes were trained on something else though...

You were looking at underage booty instead of Niners? What kind of sick freak are you?

I vote 94.7 for best bike wash of the year.