do I need a wetsuit for IM

rudi-h

I'm planning a lot of racing for 2011 and all the travel and entry fees are expensive as is.

Do I need a wetsuit for IM or is it a "nice to have"? I would hate to pay R3k just for 1.5 hrs of swimming

I'm planning a lot of racing for 2011 and all the travel and entry fees are expensive as is.

Do I need a wetsuit for IM or is it a "nice to have"? I would hate to pay R3k just for 1.5 hrs of swimming

Mmm, buoyancy is probably the biggest advantage if you take water temperature out of the equation. It makes you more "horizontal" in the water and thus better swimming form. The water can also get chilly in PE/EL. Look for secondhand on Gumtree or www.fluidlines.co.za has nice end of season stuff.

Just make sure of the sizing as this is key.

I've been told that it helps you float better and it'll probably be faster and require less effort. I'm not planning to win though, so just want to know whether its compulsary. Maybe due to temperatures etc?

I've been told that it helps you float better and it'll probably be faster and require less effort. I'm not planning to win though, so just want to know whether its compulsary. Maybe due to temperatures etc?

Check out the Ironman rules as there is a minimum temperature below which you have to wear a wetsuit. It would suck to not be allowed to start simply cause you never had one. PE water temeratures have known to change quickly after rains, etc so the possibility is there. It is also not easy to go from swimming without a wetsuit to suddenly swimming with one. Takes a bit of getting used to as it restricts shoulder movement ever so slightly which you need to get used to for good stroke efficieny.

But yeah, you could probably save up to 10% with a wetsuit so maybe 5-12minutes. It helps in that it keeps your legs horizintal as stated before so you dont have t kick or use your core so much. Helps to save for the cycle and run.

My opinion would be to get one as it will make you a faster triathlete overall for distances over the sprint for sure.

n Wetsuit is n essential soos n fiets in 3 kamp. Koop die ding. Dan het jy hom as jy op die start staan en 2500 mense om jou het een...dis nie vir looks nie.

R3 grand to save 5 minutes?There's my answer.

Beware this triathlon crowd,gearjunkies the lot of them.

I'd look into it properly and try not be dissuaded by forums or athletes sponsored by the things.

Thought temperature had to be below a certain limit to be wetsuit legal.

Mark spitz and mitch buchanan both dominated in the water without one.

Gumtree is the answer, I am not too sure if you save some time, certainly the energy expenditure is less with a wetsuit.

I hope you are not considering an outlay of R40k on a proper TT bike to make up 4 minutes on your standad bike

No, not buying a tt bike or tri-bars either. I'll look on the website for the "rules", but not keen on spending the money unless its absolutely compulsary. I do tri for fun so not stressed about saving the time etc.

On the tri bars - a set of alu tri bars does not need to cost the earth - check out CRC. This is a worthy addition as it gives you a more aero position on the bike. Remember no drafting at IM, so a better bike position will make a difference over a 180km course. With the wetsuit I agree with Mitri. One of those things you just have to bite the bullet and buy. You'll use it for quite a few seasons. I've had the same suit since 05 and its still going strong.

Check out the Ironman rules as there is a minimum temperature below which you have to wear a wetsuit.Takes a bit of getting used to as it restricts shoulder movement ever so slightly which you need to get used to for good stroke efficieny.

Does in need to be a full wetsuit or can you use a armless one?

IM is on my to do list, but I am not buying a R4k wetsuit just to finish it for fun. (would rater get more TT gear :D )

Have a surf wetsuit, so if I really must wear one, I can use that on the day?

On the tri bars - a set of alu tri bars does not need to cost the earth - check out CRC. This is a worthy addition as it gives you a more aero position on the bike. Remember no drafting at IM, so a better bike position will make a difference over a 180km course. With the wetsuit I agree with Mitri. One of those things you just have to bite the bullet and buy. You'll use it for quite a few seasons. I've had the same suit since 05 and its still going strong.

i hear you guys saying its a "have to have", but WHY? Is it an issue of complying to the race rules, is it due to water temperature, or is it only the bouyancy (spelling???) and energy saving aspect?

Have a surf wetsuit, so if I really must wear one, I can use that on the day?

it would appear not, I think surf ones are from neoprene? are they scared reef and billabong would take their market share?

how many people do ironman pe in a speedo?

What are the current legal swimwear/speedsuits?Effective September 1, 2010, all swimwear/speedsuits at Ironman and Ironman 70.3 events MUST be comprised of 100% textile material such as nylon or lycra and may not include rubberized material such as polyurethane or neoprene. Swimwear/speedsuits may NOT cover the neck or extend past the shoulders or knees. Swimwear/speedsuits may contain a zipper. A race kit or trisuit may be worn underneath swimwear/speedsuits

Originally from: http://ironman.com/faq/rulesfaq#ixzz16BwB1Zz4

i hear you guys saying its a "have to have", but WHY? Is it an issue of complying to the race rules, is it due to water temperature, or is it only the bouyancy (spelling???) and energy saving aspect?

Oh my word. The stuff people talk about...

Have anyone spend 30-45min in cold water ?

The effect its got on the body ? Hormonal, energy etc?

You can get a wetsuit for a grand and would make your races more FUN. Mail anyone you know that have done 70.3 in East London. Ask them. People with a swimming background(like open water) usually dont need it beacause they are a swimmer, natural for them(doing it for years).

I'm in for a wetsuit. I am not sponsored and have raced * 70.3 this years as a PRO over the world.

My 2 cents. I for promoting the sport, not giving bad advice or the waste money.

Both 70.3 in East London and Ironman in P.E are guaranteed to be wetsuit legal.

If almost everyone around you is wearing a wetsuit you are definitely going to want to be in one, not just for peace of mind, but for the bouyancy benefits.

You'll save a lot of energy and you don't want to get out the water so cold that you can't think straight let alone ride your bike the way you know you can.

I would recommend spending the money on a wetsuit rather than more TT gear.

I am a weak swimmer. Did the 70.3 and full ironman in a wetsuit and must say it saved me. If you are only doing the 70.3 I would say it is not worth it. But if you want to do the full IM (and if you do it once you will do it again and again) it is probably better to get one. In the full Ironman there probably is only 2 people out of the 1500 that doesn't have one - for good reason.

What it does? It gives you a lot of boyancy. That means you kick a lot less and you can probably get away with not kicking at all. And believe me you will need your legs later. It will reduce your swim time with 10-20%, maybe more.

Its possible to get a new one for less than R2k. If you can, hire one for the 70.3 or borrow one. You will feel the difference.