Cyclist self defence!?

Palaeodom

I ride the spruit and other venues in JHB regularly and the missus has been encouraging me to carry some sort of self defence equipment either on my bike or with me when i ride.

How many of you actually carry some sort of defence equipment/weapon/pepper spray on you?

and how useful is this against someone with a gun?

its useless in your backpack so do you mount it on your top bar or keep it in your jersey pocket?

I know one guy who used to carry his 9mm but I'm not prepared to cycle with a gun.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ride in a group, avoid areas that have high incidences of crime, don't switch off when riding, give people a wide berth when passing, be aware. Don't carry a gun, that's going to get you killed, rather use pepper spray and and use a whistle or siren or something when in trouble.

Always ride with pepper spray, close to my stem. Obviously preparing to analyse the danger situation , guy with no gun/ not more than two guys, the spray would probably work.

Just a quick tip,TEST your spray to see how from how far away the spray can be used and in what way it exists the can, so that you can know how to use it the most effective.thumbup1.gif

If you know how to use a gun then carry it . Those bastards are fully armed .

How? It's one thing to know how to use it, it's quite another to be able to draw it quickly while on a bike?

Always ride with pepper spray, close to my stem. Obviously preparing to analyse the danger situation , guy with no gun/ not more than two guys, the spray would probably work.

Just a quick tip,TEST your spray to see how from how far away the spray can be used and in what way it exists the can, so that you can know how to use it the most effective.thumbup1.gif

See now what you done :angry: - I tried it out in the lounge now everyone's walking around like they got arc eyes :blush:

No TV tonight :(

About as easy as drawing your pepper spray ? Does not matter what you choose to protect yourself , if you are not ready you gonna loose the battle . Like you said , leave yourself always some space , try and do group rides etc . BUT always be alert . Even in places where it "does not happen' .

About as easy as drawing your pepper spray ? Does not matter what you choose to protect yourself , if you are not ready you gonna loose the battle . Like you said , leave yourself always some space , try and do group rides etc . BUT always be alert . Even in places where it "does not happen' .

I got a nice compact cp-1 nine that I tried figuring out a way to carry while riding, just couldn't figure out a place that was comfortable, accessible and secure. In the end just left it at home. But I agree with you, expect the worst at all time, it can always happen to you!

See now what you done :angry: - I tried it out in the lounge now everyone's walking around like they got arc eyes :blush:

No TV tonight :(

Ag jammer manlaugh.gif

if its only one dude....i give him the bike and wait till he is on it. then i bliksem him off it and make him bite the tar hard. (done this before - cos it was a 25K bike that i didnt want to lose, which was stolen anyway a few weeks later.. so wtf)

but you should be able to judge the guy and his character... dont be stupid..its just a bike.

;-)

During the week i mostly see oaks on riding on their own. I do agree that one has to stay alert but there's only so much you can do. We're still vulnerable.

I think we should start asking people how much their bike's weigh including protection...

I've been operating on the naive premise that i'm invincible.

Plus...was having similar discussion with some guys at the pub, it seems the bikejacking people have a pretty good idea of what they're looking for...i.e. top of the range makes and models.

Is it time to start dressing down bikes instead of putting effort into blinging our toys? Given they (the thieves) get only a couple of seconds to evaluate the worth of the machine.

Carrying a gun.... hmmm, probably have a higher statistic of blowing one of your legs off while negotiating some awesome singletrack and forgetting to set the safety in the "On" position.. :eek:

And cycling with one leg will not be fun for the rest of your life.. Seriously though, I think PepperSpray is the way to go provided attackers are unarmed. If they are armed, do not resist, hand over your bike. Afterall, if you can afford a Mac bike, then you should be able to afford the insurance on it. You life is worth much much more.

Plus...was having similar discussion with some guys at the pub, it seems the bikejacking people have a pretty good idea of what they're looking for...i.e. top of the range makes and models.

Is it time to start dressing down bikes instead of putting effort into blinging our toys? Given they (the thieves) get only a couple of seconds to evaluate the worth of the machine.

That is if the bikejacking is random and then they don't give a damn if it is a 5K, 25K or 50K bike. If they are targeting top of the range make and models they are stealing to order! Which means that they are in all probability watching popular ride routes - vary riding times etc. to become less predictable and be in the present, be aware of what is going on around you. Also holds true for driving home and how you arrive home - vary your pattern!