Cyclist self defence!?

Palaeodom

Guest big baby

Firstly, try to not live in constant fear. You seriously attract this **** to you by obsessing about it. That said, one needs to be careful and not put yourself into situations that could lead to danger. This means avoiding areas. Riding alone is risky business and should be done in areas that have good security and access to help if needed. The first thing is good bike insurance, that way you will feel very little need to defend your property. Let the idiots take it. I carry pepper spray mostly for dogs. I've been bitten by dogs in the hills before where selfish owners unleash them without having control. Pepper spray is decent for muggers too, but one needs to be very careful in the Cape as wind is always an issue. I'd not suggest having the spray attached to the bike though. If you get pushed off it's not going to help you. Rather I attach mine to the downstrap of my Camelbak and I can whip it out in a second. Taking guns is fine too, as long as you are trained to use it properly, and prepared to deal with the consequences. I think it would be great to make an example of a few of these cretins. If anyone gets a chance, be sure to beat the living crap out of him, and do post a few pics on here for our enjoyment.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best self defence system I came accross so far!!! Just a little to big to carry on the bike, pitty! :blink:

How much does it cost

I ride the spruit and other venues in JHB regularly and the missus has been encouraging me to carry some sort of self defence equipment either on my bike or with me when i ride.

How many of you actually carry some sort of defence equipment/weapon/pepper spray on you?

and how useful is this against someone with a gun?

its useless in your backpack so do you mount it on your top bar or keep it in your jersey pocket?

I know one guy who used to carry his 9mm but I'm not prepared to cycle with a gun.

Everybody speaks about weapons here, the best personal defense weapon in the hands of a person which does not considered the tactics in ussing it is useless, and will most propably be used against you.

There are numerous weapons which could the job, again as an active shooter, cyclist and blade student, i must say the best combination here for me, exculdes a firearm, but includes an ASP in the top of your leg lycra, neck blade and pepper spray, then the most important of all weapons is recognotion skills. In some instances you could put your bike with all its momentum on top of him, or even go for a disarm, remeber you first have to get of your bike, while on it use it as a weapon etc, etc, etc.

Again look at this website http:\\www.amok.co.za and depending where you are speak to Mark or Ian, I have already discussed this issue with them.

Edited by nielvn

I carry a can of Swat pepper spray. Two types are available, be sure to buy the direct stream rather than the dispersing type. It has an effective range of about 3m and is not as badly affected by wind. It comes standard with a beltclip that I have modified and attached to the Left downstrap of my Camelpak.(I am righthanded). Before every ride I "draw" a couple of times just to know where it is without looking.

I ride the spruit regularly at various times of the day and have only ever used it on dogs. I was charged down by a Rottweiler, the dog, angrily growling at me whilst I was shielding myself with my bike. the owner didn't even call his dog. Hahhaha, you should have seen the dog **** itself when it got a full blast in its face.

The owner then got all agro with me and almost got the same treatment.