Saddle Height

Woolie

np - right set up is not just a matter of getting saddle height right, has to do with issues like saddle positioning on the seatpost clamp, height, handlbar positioning, cleat set up etc, all of which are interrelated and all of which can affect the optimum saddle height and positioning.

I just spoke to my LBS and they said doing a proper bike setup so close to a race is a bad idea. You need more than a couple of days to get used to the new set up. I called Cyclelab in Northgate island who are not my LBS and they did not mention this.

Any advice?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did some further research and found that their is a woman called Alexia somewhere is Durban that does it, dont know a number or prices for anyone else looking or wanting to do this in Durban.

A very simple solution worked for me, :)

Have a mate hold the bike straight, put your heel on the pedal and push down till your leg is 100% straight. Lock in that saddle height, now when you clip in and you push all the way down you will notice a slight bend in your kneee when the pedal is all the way down.

This works like a charm for me, The most comfortable I have been. Though I am not a racing snake and dont know the science that the racers use to accelerate fast or put down more power etc. This however stopped my knee pain instantly and i feel much more blanced and comfortable on the bike especially grinding up hills.

Thanks Covie. This is the method that I have tried and have been comfortable on my bike for the last 12 months. Now I seem to be having problems which is why I have decided that it may be best to have it done by professionals.

Woolie yes its always best to have it done by professionals who really know what they are doing. Cannot disagree with you on that point.

The odd thing is if you have been comfortable for 12 months, why wouldnt the same setup be comfortable for 13 months, that makes absolutly no sense to me, unless you changed something on the bike like a larger stem, wider/narrower handlebars etc. Or something with you as a person ie. weaker core muscles a back or joint problem or something of the sorts would make more sense to me.

Just my 2cents

Gravity is a bitch - your seat will gradually get lower over time, every now and then you need to lift it a bit.

Woolie yes its always best to have it done by professionals who really know what they are doing. Cannot disagree with you on that point.

The odd thing is if you have been comfortable for 12 months, why wouldnt the same setup be comfortable for 13 months, that makes absolutly no sense to me, unless you changed something on the bike like a larger stem, wider/narrower handlebars etc. Or something with you as a person ie. weaker core muscles a back or joint problem or something of the sorts would make more sense to me.

Just my 2cents

I agree that your seat can get lower over time. Nothing else has changed on my bike. If anything my core muscles have gotten stronger with pilates classes. Weird thing is that I took a week off the bike and rested it. I did a 5km walk and then it started hurting again. The Burger doesn't look like it will happen for me on Sunday.

I also found that most bike fitters do not know enough about the detailed biomechanics of the knee joint and its ligaments and tendons to adequately understand or address the problem (there're only so many times I'm willing to pay someone to move my saddle before I start getting fed up).

Absolutely true. They missed the glaring obvious issue that my left leg is 2cm shorter than my right, and I had stabilizer muscle problems. Go see a good biokineticist first. Then a foot and leg dude. (whatever they're called)

Do the bike setup once all the other stuff is sorted.

Visit a professional to help with the set-up. We spend a fortune on our bikes, so R300 - R500 for a set-up is minimal. I thought my seat was high, had my bike professionally set-up and my seat was raised a further 15mm and adjust for reach etc. Gone is pain in my knee and back of arms from streaching.