pt meter

noembus

"popeye, vir my beteken "salestalk" dat ek 'n ander "agenda" het"

nee glad nie, sorry bruce, ek het dit nie so bedoel. promise...

ja, ek het die i-bike, gesukkel om dit mooi te mount en alles, en nou ry ek nie eers die road bike.

so, ek het een, maar gebruik dit glad nie.popeye2007-10-10 04:00:57

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst we've got the Power Meter Guys attention - can I ask what you think of the Tacx power meters on their VR trainers' date=' Esp. in respect to repeatability.

Thanks

[/quote']

Unfortunately I have never tested one - hopefully I will get a chance someday soon.

The most important aspect when it comes to repeatability with bicycle ergometers like the computrainer, Tacx etc is that you do the coast-down test when the tyre is properly warmed up, and you do it every time you ride.  Different tyre types, tyre pressure, press-on pressure, room temperature etc will all change the readings of the power meter, so this is very important.

It is well worth spending the money on the Continental Indoor Trainer tyre.  It has a very consistent rolling resistance vs. temperature characteristic - and doesn't wear anywhere near like a normal tyre does.

"popeye' date=' vir my beteken "salestalk" dat ek 'n ander "agenda" het"

nee glad nie, sorry bruce, ek het dit nie so bedoel. promise...

ja, ek het die i-bike, gesukkel om dit mooi te mount en alles, en nou ry ek nie eers die road bike.

so, ek het een, maar gebruik dit glad nie.[/quote']

Cool Wink

At the Interbike this year Velocomp (IBike) introduced quite a few product extensions etc.  One of them was a new vibration damping handlebar mount which apparently gives good results.

They have also done some clever stuff in the CPU software, as well as the PC software to eliminate various errors that can occur.  Waiting to try them out!

Quite a novel trick they came up with is to program in the resistance curve of popular indoor trainers and calculate the power from the speed when riding indoors.

Because the iBike is calculating power from a number of variables - gravity, windspeed, rolling resistance, etc - it is always going to be very sensitive to setup and calibration.

popeye ek dink ons gaan die fight verloor, almal gaan aan oor alles maar ek het darem klaar my mind opgemaak en ek het al van tevore iets soort gelyk gehad, ek dink dis maligheid om so duur vir 'n power meter betaal vir net een lesing, vir R6 goedkoper gee ek nie om of die meter se lesing nie so akuraat is nie. Dankie

popeye ek dink ons gaan die fight verloor' date=' almal gaan aan oor alles maar ek het darem klaar my mind opgemaak en ek het al van tevore iets soort gelyk gehad, ek dink dis maligheid om so duur vir 'n power meter betaal vir net een lesing, vir R6 goedkoper gee ek nie om of die meter se lesing nie so akuraat is nie. Dankie[/quote']Before you spend money on a new iBike (I assume that is what you are referring to) then do yourself a favour and buy a second hand one. PM me and I'll send you details of someone who wants to get rid of his.

If you get inaccurate readings, but consistent readings, then fine. Which I doubt you'll get. However, there is nothing more frustrating than getting inconsistent readings from a powermeter.

My advice, get yourself a Powertap. 

Wink

the cheapest is i-bike.

a lot will now respond by saying ' date=' saving up and buy a pt.

you will get a i-bike almost new for about R2000 (i saw one here for R600. but not sure why)

the pt is just not only the yellow gadget, its wheels, spokes built on top of the meters price.

asked maruis, he knows the hole tutie about the cost.

bikemax and bruce is going to give you a salestalk first

your choice. smiley18.gif [/quote']

Popeye, not sure where your comment comes from.  I don't sell power-meters.  As far as I'm concerned any power meter that is:

Reliable.

Consistent.

Accurate.

Easy to install and use.

Is a good choice (in fact, these are minimum requirements as far as I'm concerned).

I work with all the power meters.  I have just had a new Ergomo installed on my training bike after some of the teething problems that the product had, and am busy testing it for the distributor of the product.  I ride with powertaps because in my opinion it is currently the most cost effective meter that meets all the above criteria.  I also purchased an iBike to test and understand, there are quite a few developments that promise to improve the iBike, and I'll spend time working with the product to learn about it a bit better.

There are pro's and con's to all of these systems.  Just how much these pro's and con's mean to each individual is a matter of personal choice.

No mention of PolarShocked - will have to discuss when I collect nochains dodgy wheel tonightStar

mwnn, the question was....

"what is the lowest amount you can spent on a power tap meter and what other brands you can look at other than polar"

The options:

Power MeterFunctionPriceExtra Costs
iBikeMeasure opposing forces - wind, gravity, rolling resistance etcR 4,000Cadence sensor
PolarMeasures chain tenstion and speedR 5,000
PowertapMeasure power transmitted through rear hubR7000 - R11000Wheel build
QuarqMeasure power transmitted through crank spider.$2000
ErgomoMeasures power transmitted through BB (left leg x 2)R 14,000Cranks
SRMMeasures power transmitted through crank spiderR15000 - R35000

Pricing would have to be confirmed with the suppliers etc

mwnn' date=' the question was....

"what is the lowest amount you can spent on a power tap meter and what other brands you can look at other than polar"
[/quote']

but why? noembus... extra set of orange arm warmers with each polarBig%20smile

Hey you didnt get back at me with the orange arm warmers, so i did go with the white ones. And i dont have R10 grand to spen on a power tap, if i did i would have like to but i dont, I did use the Cyclo sport before that Jaco told me about for R1800 with cadence and all but is a mision to get to work with the pc tho.

Hey you didnt get back at me with the orange arm warmers' date=' so i did go with the white ones. And i dont have R10 grand to spen on a power tap, if i did i would have like to but i dont, I did use the Cyclo sport before that Jaco told me about for R1800 with cadence and all but is a mision to get to work with the pc tho.[/quote']

Dude, there is no more orange arm warmers... you will have to buy second hand and pay a sentimental premium

Having owned a Polar power sensor, being fully aware of all it's setup

issues as well as the problems with indoor trainers I would probably

still buy this again before I bought an iBike simply because there are

less variables to deal with.

The

polar tries to deal with chain tension (vibration) and chain speed. The

iBike tries to deal with wind, gravity, vibration, etc etc. Too many

variables!

When I look back at the data from the Polar (on the

road) it was at least quite consistent and not all that bad when

comparing the before and after (Polar vs PT) at the time of switch

over. Again hardly scientific but I got quite close results on average