Anyone Objective? Bike Slating

Christian Kuun

I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!! I am a complete twit and newbie with road bikes but It is amazingly difficult to find an objective opinion. Evey bike shop I have walked into has tried to "smous" me the bike they have in stock or the one they can get. Walk into the next bike shop and the oke tells you how bad the other brand is and how great his is.

I am looking for an entry level Road Bike. I am 1.91m tall and have a 92cm inseam (websites reckon 61-63cm sizes) and have been told the following about the following bikes- Is there any truth in it? BTW, all new.

•  
  • Told by the same salesman (agent for both) Merida 901 (R6500) is way better specced than the Trek 1.2 (R7500) but is still all SORA although in any size.
  • I can get a Schwinn Fastback (59cm Toptube) with full Tiagra (R6000) and it is, according to Mr Salesman, better frame and wheels than the Merida and Trek. Then told by another salesman he would never put a big guy on a Fastback as it has a weak, small and cramped frame.
  • There is also a Trek 1.5, size 58cm, for (R6500) and the salesman reckons with a longer stem it will be perfect.
  • Also can get 2007 and 2008 Felt Z90, with mostly Sora but Tiagra RD, in any size for R5500 but was told it is old technology.
  • Also a Specialized Allez Sport, with Sora all over and Tiagra RD, for R7000 and one salesman said he dont touch Giant or Specialized.
  • Other options were Scott S60 or 50, Silverback RS2 and a few odd others

I know a person would ideally ride them all before chosing but honestly, (a.) I have no idea how it should be and (b.) dealers dont carry stock in big sizes and will only order for me when I want it. PLEASE, ANY HELP would be kind.

Kinda like trying to buy a new car and everyone is telling you that theirs is the best.

Not sure how much you want to spend but probably at the moment some of the best value for money bikes you can get in entry level are Merida and Scott.

Having said that I suggest you take someone along with you who knows a thing or two about bikes and then go do your shopping

Hope this helps

I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!! I am a complete twit and newbie with road bikes but It is amazingly difficult to find an objective opinion. Evey bike shop I have walked into has tried to "smous" me the bike they have in stock or the one they can get. Walk into the next bike shop and the oke tells you how bad the other brand is and how great his is.

I am looking for an entry level Road Bike. I am 1.91m tall and have a 92cm inseam (websites reckon 61-63cm sizes) and have been told the following about the following bikes- Is there any truth in it? BTW, all new.

• Told by the same salesman (agent for both) Merida 901 (R6500) is way better specced than the Trek 1.

ChristiaanI agree with The Saints' comments , the difference between most entry levels are minute ," Not sure how much you want to spend but probably at the moment some of the best value for money bikes you can get in entry level are Merida and Scott":thumbup:

Kinda like trying to buy a new car and everyone is telling you that theirs is the best.

Not sure how much you want to spend but probably at the moment some of the best value for money bikes you can get in entry level are Merida and Scott.

Having said that I suggest you take someone along with you who knows a thing or two about bikes and then go do your shopping

Hope this helps

Anyone is Stellenbosch gonna be able to help the guy out? Lets help a Rookie :D

In my humble opinion, you should get a MTB, any entry level MTB is better than any top end/bottom end road bike.

In my humble opinion, you should get a MTB, any entry level MTB is better than any top end/bottom end road bike.

+1 Let me rephrase what I said earlier, any MTBers in the Stellenbosh area willing to help the Rookie Mtber find a new bike

Just go over to the Wild West (Somerset West) and pop into Williams Bike Shop ... William will give you an honest opinion and will help you in your journey to finding the right bike for you.

Even if he does not hold what would be right for you ....

Go there and chat to him!

www.williamsbikeshop.co.za

Regards and Welcome to the world of MTB

Hairy

Go to Cycletraders in Woodtock, Avron has loads of second hand bikes and he will offer advice thats not married to a brand

Thanks for the input so far...keep it coming.

BTW, I am okay with the MTB stuff and am a very soscial MTBiker. They just wont let me do the Ironman on my MTB...?!?!?! Hence me doing a roadbike search. I will also not be using it much after the Ironman and thats why I want entry level.

•  
  • Told by the same salesman (agent for both) Merida 901 (R6500) is way better specced than the Trek 1.2 (R7500) but is still all SORA although in any size.
  • I can get a Schwinn Fastback (59cm Toptube) with full Tiagra (R6000) and it is, according to Mr Salesman, better frame and wheels than the Merida and Trek. Then told by another salesman he would never put a big guy on a Fastback as it has a weak, small and cramped frame.
  • There is also a Trek 1.5, size 58cm, for (R6500) and the salesman reckons with a longer stem it will be perfect.
  • Also can get 2007 and 2008 Felt Z90, with mostly Sora but Tiagra RD, in any size for R5500 but was told it is old technology.
  • Also a Specialized Allez Sport, with Sora all over and Tiagra RD, for R7000 and one salesman said he dont touch Giant or Specialized.

I know a person would ideally ride them all before chosing but honestly, (a.) I have no idea how it should be and (b.) dealers dont carry stock in big sizes and will only order for me when I want it. PLEASE, ANY HELP would be kind.

He is a terrible salesman... owned of load of Giants....AWESOME bikes, awesome warranty....that is a very dumb salesman, put his name on the "Name of Shame" list in the RIDE magazine or something....

Go for what feels comfy for you, but my honest opinion you can get a decent second hand roadbike for around R7k, seen some here with Ultegra,etc...but its up to you...just an idea

Edited by MTB_Roadie

Rather than looking at the frame look at what groupset and wheels it comes with and base your decision on the best possible groupset that you can get. This aluminium frame is similar to that aluminium frame. So rather make your focus the components.

IMO the Silverback RS2 with full tiagra components looks very good value, it also helps that it looks stunning :thumbup:

post-7-0-58902800-1291371356.jpg

•  

Dude, I am not a rocket scientist or smous. What I can tellyou is that you are the same height as me 191 cm. I can also tell you from experience that a 58 cm frame is too small.

Conventional wisdom says that when you sit on the bike with your hands on the bars, (hoods of shifters) the front wheel hub axle should be in line with the handle bars so you cannot see it? bike frame too large, you will see the hub behind the handle bars and too small, it will be in fron of the handle bars.

Personally, I don't like compact frames, but that is my personal opinion. Far prefer a standard geometry bike. I have also found that one bike is pretty much the same as another. Wheels, hubs and shifters make a big difference to the bike and potentially how fast you can get it to go.

GEt the right size frame first, otherwise you will not be comfortable on the bike. I think this is the most important thing.