knee pain WITH correct bike setup! What can it be?

Hi Elvin, the knee pain comes from the foot angle not being flat and all shoes are made with no adjustment here. I do a proffesional bike setup service and am based in Durban this includes the shimming of shoes which creates a greater amount of power transfer as well as saving my clients thousands of rands on physio fees as well as all of them to date cancelling knee ops that were scheduled since having their feet measured and shoes shimmed accordingly. Next time you are in Durban be sure to contact me. Regards Clayton Blackler. 083 227 0429.

You can also email me: clayton@cyclingcoach.co.za

post-10500-0-99163200-1292396024.gif

post-10500-0-49477200-1292396055.gif

post-10500-0-60677800-1292396068.jpg

post-10500-0-98669400-1292396084.jpg

post-10500-0-03474400-1292396097.png

yip -- often people have gone for professional/scientific etc bike setup - but they have assymmetries in their normal gait - so in order to be 'correctly' setup -- you actually need to get as close to that 'normal assymmetry'. Stand in front of a long mirror, without correcting anything. Chances are that your one foot is at a sligth angle, compared to the other side. This assymmetry might originate at the pelvis, hip- , knee, or ankle joint .. and is 'your normal'.

remember that when people have headache - they might be suffering from a normal cold, meningitis, brain cancer, bad eyes, too much alcohol .... The same goes with knee pain on the bike -- one guy's knee pain doesn't equal the other guys knee pain. There's no generic answer ...

I once had some pain on outside of right knee. Suspected it had to do with alignment of cleat, felt as if heel of foot was positioned to far into wheel. Wanted to see someone 'professional', but the effort involved and the scarcity of these persons made me procrastinate. Eventually tweaked cleat myself to what felt 'natural'(concentrated on getting a vertically straight feel to pedal action). 2-3 days later knee pain had completely disappeared.

Specialized claim their Body Geometry shoes have a 1,5% "tilt" to compensate for the angular 'error'. Is this a standard option worth considering or is it just marketing?

Hi Elvin, the knee pain comes from the foot angle not being flat and all shoes are made with no adjustment here. I do a proffesional bike setup service and am based in Durban this includes the shimming of shoes which creates a greater amount of power transfer as well as saving my clients thousands of rands on physio fees as well as all of them to date cancelling knee ops that were scheduled since having their feet measured and shoes shimmed accordingly. Next time you are in Durban be sure to contact me. Regards Clayton Blackler. 083 227 0429.

You can also email me: clayton@cyclingcoach.co.za

Finally,someone in Durban that does bike fitment :clap: