SBR Sunninghill

FC&P2C

Thumper, you referring to the 1 by Spar?

If so, went in there when they were opened for a week or so, indeed a friendly guy i chatted to. Bike setup on Road/MTB/Both? I chatted to him about the setup's as well, different that they film you to get an accurate measure of where your leg position really is as opposed to just looking, they have a reference to work off and see improvement, not guessing. :blush:

I asked about parts pricing, he took down my details and indeed called me back with info, so a big :thumbup: to efficiency, even tho he couldn't get what i was looking for.

Considering IronMan, so i'll pop past & pick their brains! :rolleyes:

It is probably best to use a computer to determine the outcome for something completely unknown to the operator of the machine. Similar than the way banks do loan applications.

@nolipoli, if you had actually looked at the shop you would notice theres a mountain bike in the window. So its not a triathlon shop. Get your facts straight before you attack on a forum.

@nolipoli, if you had actually looked at the shop you would notice theres a mountain bike in the window. So its not a triathlon shop. Get your facts straight before you attack on a forum.

Ever heard of Exterra, and off-road duathlons as well...

Shoooe! Thats quite a post for your first one. Methinks maybe you are linked to the store in some way.

I have been past the shop, and saw the mtb bike, as well as the "SWIM, BIKE, RUN" banners. If they are not trying to be a tri shop, then I don't really know what they are trying to be.

As long as it works for them...

jjagash, why did you delete your reply to cervelo, in which you said you don't see Troisport with them (MTB's I assume)?

Perhaps you should get your facts right.

Firstly, the last time I was in Troisport , I could have sworn I saw an MTB on the floor.

Secondly, isn't it wierd that the new shop would choose to carry the same brand of MTB as Troisport, when there is such a huge range of brands available?

So anyway, if it is a bike shop that sells shoes and swimming caps, or a shoe shop that sells bikes and swimming caps, or a triathlon shop that sells shoes, bikes AND Swimming caps, I still think that it is in a daft place.

That was my original comment, and I still stand by it.

What a lot of hoo haa over a shop in Sunninghill.

So what if they are in the same area as Troisport - in all honesty does it really matter. I've walked into Troisport and have been ignored - clearly I don't have that triathlete look about me :lol: . Walked into SBR - got greeted the moment I walked in and got plenty of advise, and it clearly did not matter that I was not a triathlete. Bought what I needed and said to myself that I'd definitely go back. I'd love to do a triathlon one day and know where I will be shopping when that happens.

They might be a Tri shop but they are more than willing to help those out who either just cycle, swim or run and that is what will make them succeed!! :thumbup:

Michelle

SBR Sport, 011 024 2969, open Monday - Friday 9am - 6pm, Saturday 9am - 2pm, Sunday 11am - 1pm. Sunninghill Village - Cnr Maxwell Drive and Edison Crescent, Sunninghill. The owner Mike is friendly, experienced and very knowledgable. Give it a try, I'm sure you'll be impressed.

PS I got the finer details from the web site www.sbrsport.co.za

Yeah Ill go visit them some time, was at troi sport after the hub ride and bar the two very hot girls that were trying on wetsuits :drool: (could be a weird pun but lets not go there) I was not impressed.

Went in and was not greeted or ever asked if they could help me, yes they were busy but thats no excuse, I've worked in retail and this is not how its done...

Stood at the counter a fair while waiting to pay.

Also when I enquired about the price/availability of Compressport Ultra Silicone calve sleeves the guy helping me didn't know "as he does not do the ordering" and did not bother to find out or offer to let me know.

Maybe others have had better experiences ?

Just glad I didn't drive all the way there from PTA just to visit the shop

I only know about Troisport in Chilli Lane (Sunninghill)

Established - They have been there for a couple of years now so they have the right stock in the shop.

Knowledgeable - Triathletes that have competed to the top international level (Ironman, Triathlon World Champs, etc) and know what it takes.

A great bunch of guys, with excellent service!

But seriously, who would open a new triathlon shop in the same area as one of the deserved leaders in the industry? It just doesn't make sense. Especially given that there are not a lot of Triathlon shops around in JHB. I think he is setting himself up for a hiding, and doing the sport a dis-service while he is at it. All he is doing is making both shops less viable.

I take it you are not a business owner. Competition is the best thing possible to bring down pricing and increase service standard. Dont shoot people down before they have even started. Atleast they are giving it a go while you sit in your cocoon shooting your mouth off.

Troisport is a great shop with nice guys but their margins are a little too fat for my liking.

Some competition should help sort that out and make Troisport a great and reasonably priced store.

SBR does seem to be a little out of the way. Look forward to seeing what they got.

I take it you are not a business owner. Competition is the best thing possible to bring down pricing and increase service standard. Dont shoot people down before they have even started. Atleast they are giving it a go while you sit in your cocoon shooting your mouth off.

Spoken like a true retail customer...

Actually, I am a business owner, and I have no problem with fair competition. And I have no problem with anyone "giving it a go" as you say - in fact I applaud them.

BUT LISTEN CAREFULLY NOW - THIS IS NOT COMPLICATED...

In a city that has a limited population of triathletes from all sides of the city, and a pityful number of triathlon shops, does it really make sense to put the only two in the northern suburbs 1km away from each other? This does not make business sense. Every retail shop, of whatever type, and whatever product requires a certain size footprint to make it viable. If two shops are too close to each other, the footprints overlap and this negatively impacts both shops.

Ask yourself why so many bike shops didn't make it through the recession. The answer is simple - too many in too close proximity for the given market.

I never commented on whether his service was better or worse, nor his knowledge. Read back and get off your high horse Mr Exclusive, and go read an economics book or something. Maybe you will learn something.

I never commented on whether his service was better or worse, nor his knowledge. Read back and get off your high horse Mr Exclusive, and go read an economics book or something. Maybe you will learn something.

You're right about that but where they will succeed is the fact that they're willing to be helpful to more than just the triathlete and that is where I see the difference.

You're right about that but where they will succeed is the fact that they're willing to be helpful to more than just the triathlete and that is where I see the difference.

Folks, service is always king, the guys at troisport are really great, never had a complaint in all the times i've shopped there. BUT having moved to the other side of JHB now, have to agree that it would be really good having a tri shop close rather than both in an area that requires a special saturday trip.

Folks, service is always king, the guys at troisport are really great, never had a complaint in all the times i've shopped there. BUT having moved to the other side of JHB now, have to agree that it would be really good having a tri shop close rather than both in an area that requires a special saturday trip.

:thumbup:

Yeah Ill go visit them some time, was at troi sport after the hub ride and bar the two very hot girls that were trying on wetsuits :drool: (could be a weird pun but lets not go there) I was not impressed.

Went in and was not greeted or ever asked if they could help me, yes they were busy but thats no excuse, I've worked in retail and this is not how its done...

Also when I enquired about the price/availability of Compressport Ultra Silicone calve sleeves the guy helping me didn't know "as he does not do the ordering" and did not bother to find out or offer to let me know.

I think it is safe to say that everyone will have a different opinion regarding SBR's location. However Weight Weenie and Puncture Girl have hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned. I've been into Troisports often and on every occassion the experience has been pretty much the same - ignored when I walk in, treated like an idiot when I ask questions about stuff. Mike's approach was very different and I appreciate that and that's why he will get my support as a customer. As for Troisports - I'm not going to bash them - they're the pioneers and they do put a lot back into the sport. Having said that, from a retail experience, I prefer SBR. Finish and klaar...

Aren't you a bit harsh now, I mean if someones busy, you wait your turn. I do. Everything can't be 100% all the time.