Clicking noise

numbnuts

Ok, so I tried rubbing some oil on the rear drop-outs and whalla no more clicking!! Thanks for the advice, the hub is sure a great place and one is never to old to learn something new :-)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, here's an update:-

I have done the following:-

-cleaned the chain (its about 300km old)

-regreased headset

-removed all bolts on the stem and regreased them and torqued them to correct specs

-removed pedals and greased threads (that tighten into the crank arms)

went for a ride on Saturday morning and all that's left of the constant clicking is a click when I "dance on the pedals"- left pedal down, right pedal up. So I do the following:-

-removed spindels (?) of pedals- regreased them

-removed BB cups-discovered left bearing a bit rough- replaced that- regreased

-removed seatpost, cleaned that and retorqued and greased all bolts of the seatclamp

went for a ride Sunday, no change, so I do the following:-

-sprayed all the nipples on the rear wheel with silicon spray

-tightened sqewer on rear wheel

-spray silicon on front and rear derailer working areas

I am hoping that this evening there would be no clicking sound otherwise I just do not know what it can be, unless the frame has a crack somewhere- inspected it but can't see anything!!

So what's left?

Chain ring bolts

Ok, so I tried rubbing some oil on the rear drop-outs and whalla no more clicking!! Thanks for the advice, the hub is sure a great place and one is never to old to learn something new :-)

Glad you found it.

I usually remove the skewers on my Mtb once a month - wipe clean and lube with grease, including the shaft and threads.

Wow, that is very weird.

On a part that doesnt move.

Doesnt really make much sense.

You must remember that your frame flexes when under strain. How I figured out it was the rear dropouts was I loosened both of them. When tightening the rear skewer I noticed a sound-almost like the clicking sound. Maybe that's you problem too Woofie and you've been riding like that for a year now ;)

Wow, that is very weird.

On a part that doesnt move.

Doesnt really make much sense.

kind of agree there, your dropouts isnt suppose to flex...the wheel might flex bit it should be tightened to perfection, aybe there is ver little play on the dropout/hub where it goes in so if u climbs it moves around?

You must remember that your frame flexes when under strain. How I figured out it was the rear dropouts was I loosened both of them. When tightening the rear skewer I noticed a sound-almost like the clicking sound. Maybe that's you problem too Woofie and you've been riding like that for a year now ;)

I will give it a try.

Will feedback later this week.

So why dont we then just hot dip our bikes into oil?

It will sort out all the problems then.

And it will make JB happy because we are using oil on our chains :clap:

kind of agree there, your dropouts isnt suppose to flex...the wheel might flex bit it should be tightened to perfection, aybe there is ver little play on the dropout/hub where it goes in so if u climbs it moves around?

Not the rear drop outs per sé but the rear triangle flexes.

Edited by Reg Lizard

I will give it a try.

Will feedback later this week.

So why dont we then just hot dip our bikes into oil?

It will sort out all the problems then.

And it will make JB happy because we are using oil on our chains :clap:

Remember the old days in the SANDF at 2SAI Walvis Bay- before going on pass our riffles were completely submerged into an oil container and stored till we get back. :angry: We use to hate coming back from pass because it meant that it had to be cleaned. The oil was very thick and making those chambers shine again was quite a job. :(

Edited by Reg Lizard

wow. that was arb! nice one to remember. well done Reg :clap:

I recently also had a clicking noise. Check everything and eventually found out it was coming from my rear wheel. Check the bearings in there.

Excuse the question: were you sitting when you went over the 'rumble strips'?

If so, I'm sorry to hear about that.

and check your saddle and your seat post.

I Agree here - Check Saddle and seat Post!!!...

I Agree here - Check Saddle and seat Post!!!...

It could not have been the saddle and/or the seatpost because the click could only be heard when I danced on the pedals. When I was seated no click. The problem has been resolved after oiling the rear drop-outs. :thumbup:

I had some clicking once. Could not figure what it was. I stopped several times and checked everything but nothing!

Got home put the bike away and as I walked out of the garage, there it was again!! Found it was my knee!!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif