chinese carbon????

jcvwburger

hi guys, i've been pondering about these chinese carbon frames some okes are importing...

reel keen on one seeing the price is not to bad,, any advice will be a moerse help! :unsure:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the instruction manual in English, Translated English/Chinese or Chinese?????

In a nutshell, you get many different type of carbon fibre ranging from cheap (generally bad) to expensive (generally good). You also get design engineers that know how to design with carbon and those that do not not. You also get manufacturers who are good at working with carbon fibre and those that are bad at working with carbon fibre. When you put these three factors together you get 8 effective classes of carbon parts:

Bad designs which are badly manufactured using bad materials.

Bad designs which are well manufactured using bad materials

Bad designs which are badly manufactured using good materials

Bad designs which are well manufactured using good materials

Good design which are badly manufactured using bad materials.

Good designs which are well manufactured using bad materials

Good designs which are badly manufactured using good materials

Good designs which are well manufactured using good materials

So, you basically can see that there is only one effective class which you may want to try and stick to.

Personally, I try and stick to buying parts that are proven in the field. I.e. I see them being used extensively by others with good reviews and even tests. Personally I buy parts that I can afford and that are very well proven on the same level as which I wish to use them or higher.

I would only suggest purchasing carbon parts which have very little positively known field experience if you are willing to take the chance with your money should they fail. And hopefully not fail and cause injury.

Good and safe designs are always backed up with a proper design procedures and testing. Unless you can find proof that this has taken place stay away from them. Engineers study for many years to understand what needs to be done to design parts that will function correctly.

Be careful of marketing BS as well. Such as, did you know that this frame is made in the same factory as the ..... (some great make is mentioned). The factory does not depict how good a design is. Take for instance the Citi Golf, it was manufactured in the same factory as the Golf 5 GTi for some years, however the design was 30+ years old and a far cry from the GTi with all the safety features, etc.

Hope this gives you a small insight.

Edited by The_Break

Saw a chinese Dogma today, going for 7k. cant see the difference but im sure it wont be able to take the pressure from the big guys.

I looked at a couple, black spade, and cyclebuzz, but still need to decide, maybe just stick to alloy.....

Like I said, try and find out if they have good field experience and who designed them. Maybe they are well known and used in other countries to good effect.

Saw a chinese Dogma today, going for 7k. cant see the difference but im sure it wont be able to take the pressure from the big guys.

I thought those would get eaten in China?

I will test it for you. Did you take any snaps?