Any suggestions on how to avoid / alleviate Handlebar Palsy?

I-FELT-the-FORCE

Of late, been getting really bad handlebar palsy in my left hand. To the point of, I cannot feel my fingers and find it VERY difficult to change between large and small front chainring.

Once off the bike and after a little while, feeling returns to normal, albeit with a little less power in my fingers for a day or two.

Did quite a bit of reading up about it a while ago when I first got it, in my right hand and changed my bike setup a little, bought aero bars, invested in Giro gloves, all to try and alleviate the symptoms. Now of late, it starts pretty much as soon as I get on the bike, 5kms down the road and I can feel my fingers starting to get the first pins and needles, change hand position, that alleviates it for a while, but then my hand position is on top of the bars. As soon as I go to reach the top of the hoods and have a better riding position, guess what, along come the pins and needles again.... It is driving me MAD!!!

Any suggestions out there, any advice from fellow sufferers??

Setup has a lot to do with this, but is not always the cause. I had a similar problem, which was alleviated by my Chiropracter. I had some tenseness in my upper back, particularly on the right side, due to poor ergonomics in the office. Sorted it with a combination of accupuncture, stretching and massage, and obviously fixed the ergonomics.

Now the only thing that goes numb is my butt after a few hours in the saddle.

Sounds like a severe case of inflammation which causes the numbness as the swelling squeezes the nerves and prevents the blood flowing properly in that area.

I would suggest you go see a good physiotherapist first.

Hope you get better.

I had this on my one finger as well. Some times it took a few days to come right.

I dont kow why but it doesnt happen anymore :D

Oh no I hope I never jinxed it :(

I have seen on races like the Paris Rouibax the bike mac's normally double tape the handle bars, and some of the roads we ride are just as bad so beef up your handle bars padding run a tad lower pressure and change hand position frequently.

Have you had a proper bike setup done?

I have before, but my measurements could have changed when I changed my bars. I am thinking of making an appointment with Jurien Swart at the Sport Science Institute to get it re-done. I think it costs about R340, not quite exactly sure though. ANyone know if CWCycles does a decent setup and costs??

Thought about extra padding on the bars, but I got small hands, dont like the feel of too much under my palms when I am riding ;)

Thanks for the suggestions from everyone though, lets see what happens and will let you know what the outcome is.

Perhaps try looking at your saddle position - it may be tilted down at the nose and this would put undue pressure on the hands. But no doubt once the ulnar neuropathy strikes it may take a while to settle down and physio would help to lessen the encapsulation of the nerve. Try raising your bars and tilting your saddle up slightly at the nose. Then double-wrap the bars as suggested and be patient.

Edited by Fitter

Of late, been getting really bad handlebar palsy in my left hand. To the point of, I cannot feel my fingers and find it VERY difficult to change between large and small front chainring.

Once off the bike and after a little while, feeling returns to normal, albeit with a little less power in my fingers for a day or two.

Did quite a bit of reading up about it a while ago when I first got it, in my right hand and changed my bike setup a little, bought aero bars, invested in Giro gloves, all to try and alleviate the symptoms. Now of late, it starts pretty much as soon as I get on the bike, 5kms down the road and I can feel my fingers starting to get the first pins and needles, change hand position, that alleviates it for a while, but then my hand position is on top of the bars. As soon as I go to reach the top of the hoods and have a better riding position, guess what, along come the pins and needles again.... It is driving me MAD!!!

Any suggestions out there, any advice from fellow sufferers??

Brad

I have exactly the same problem. This became really bad after I completed 94.7 this year. I have been off the bike for 3 weeks and got back on the bike this week. ( o yes I also ride Scultura 906) however I did not get back on the Scultura , but instead on my Merida Matts 80 MTB ....................the problem is still there and within the first 10km's . I know if you check the site you will find a long string with people that have had the same problem ,but it seams "bike set "up seems to be the common reply .................I think a visit teh chyro practisioner is my next option please PM me should you find something else ?

good luck!!!!:( :thumbup:

I have this in both hands for a week and a half already .... OK but I did spend 24 hours riding a bike :o

I am having lazer treatment to alleviate it a bit .... lets see if it works :(

Get some tennis/squash racquet grip tape and wrap over your grips. This makes it much easier on the palms, definately worth a try. I did it, made a big difference!

Besides the bike setup as already mentioned it could also be an incompatibility with your shifters from an ergonomic point of view. I had this problem with Campy Record and could not get around it. It tuned out the width of campy was the exact shape and width of the tendon between my thumb and index finger knuckles which cause unneccessary tension and somehow bit my nerves in the area. Once I swapped to another make it went away.

Thanks Fitter. I have just slightly adjusted my nose down on my saddle, due to getting a "saddle sore" or 3 and needed to be in the saddle and alleviate that pain as well, gonna lift it a "MINUTE" amount and see if that helps tomorrow.

CharlV, so you know the feeling, damn its not nice. I will DEFINITELY get back on here if I find something that works for me. It is terrible, constant numbing and I just seem to be moving my hands too much. Going to do a few little tweaks ont he set up myself first, see what helps and if I cant get it right, get a professional re-set up. Will keep you posted though (PS Ride the 907, Merida ROCKS!! :thumbup:)

BIG S, Lazer treatment? Crikey, yours sounds a LOT worse than mine, that is hectic! Let me know how that goes, please.

FBSP, I will give the extra padding a try once I have the bike reset again, if the problem still persists, will give it a try and post some feedback.

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the input :clap:

Besides the bike setup as already mentioned it could also be an incompatibility with your shifters from an ergonomic point of view. I had this problem with Campy Record and could not get around it. It tuned out the width of campy was the exact shape and width of the tendon between my thumb and index finger knuckles which cause unneccessary tension and somehow bit my nerves in the area. Once I swapped to another make it went away.

Really? I was actually thinking about that. Maybe the hoods of my Ultegra SL are not compatible with my hands. I was actually thinking of changing to SRAM Red, the look of the hoods looks smaller to me, have been looking for a good reason to upgrade, maybe this might be it..... Might even be able to sell my wife on this idea as well ;)