New kid on the Block - Move over Burry

Caerus

Thanks for spotting the article re Carlo Coetzee in the news. The paper however (from which it was "copied and pasted") lost the plot with regard to the name Carlo - it seems that somewhere along the line Carlo became Chris (thats me!). None the less, he is an amazing son! All he wants to do is ride. The best of all is that he takes it so easy. He enjoys it and there is no presure from me or his oupie "pushing him". He stops at all water points (and in-between) and will tell you when he needs a rest.

The past year he has completed 17 races ranging from 15 - 40 km's, of which the majority was between 20 - 30 km's. It really scares me that this little son of mine is doing such distances, but this is what he wants to do. I have however contacted several people with regard to the "pros and cons" of him doing such distances, but the majority of them says that as long as we don't push him, he will be fine.

If there are any opinions on the above, please tell me as a concerned dad.

Gotta give it too the little guy - he can only get better :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for spotting the article re Carlo Coetzee in the news. The paper however (from which it was "copied and pasted") lost the plot with regard to the name Carlo - it seems that somewhere along the line Carlo became Chris (thats me!). None the less, he is an amazing son! All he wants to do is ride. The best of all is that he takes it so easy. He enjoys it and there is no presure from me or his oupie "pushing him". He stops at all water points (and in-between) and will tell you when he needs a rest.

The past year he has completed 17 races ranging from 15 - 40 km's, of which the majority was between 20 - 30 km's. It really scares me that this little son of mine is doing such distances, but this is what he wants to do. I have however contacted several people with regard to the "pros and cons" of him doing such distances, but the majority of them says that as long as we don't push him, he will be fine.

If there are any opinions on the above, please tell me as a concerned dad.

Hi Persian

Firstly it is great that your son has such a passion and a drive for cycling and that it comes totally out of his own. The people who you have chatted to who advise not to push him are correct, however there is more you will need to consider and it is a very difficult thing to do.

The Australians are the leaders in what is called Long Term Athlete Development and Youth Development. I did a coaching course last year in which we touched on the subject, but what did come through was that whilst it is all important not to push youngsters, it is also all important not to let them push themselves too hard. If youngsters are doing too high distances when they are young it has effects on there sporting abilities when they are older. More is not always better and it should be a combination of protecting your son from being pushed by others and himself.

I can put you into contact with someone who knows a lot on this subject as he has been very involved with the Australian and Canadian coaching curriculum. He will be able to guide you at least on where to get some more information which will come in very handy. I believe that this will be a big key as to how far your son is able to develop his talent into the future and it is going to be very important for you as a family to understand the principles behind LTAD and YD as well.

"Kevin Evans, presented Chris with his award, and surprised Coetzee by giving him the medal for first placed male, which Evans himself had won."

Legend, that is a great memory for a kiddie, well done mr Evans you ROCK.

No that’s what I call a professional> :clap:

wow! what an amazing story :clap: persian on taking hte time and effort to find out how to avoid him doing himself any harm and for supporting him in a much healthier passion than computer games :thumbup:

Hi Persian

Firstly it is great that your son has such a passion and a drive for cycling and that it comes totally out of his own. The people who you have chatted to who advise not to push him are correct, however there is more you will need to consider and it is a very difficult thing to do.

The Australians are the leaders in what is called Long Term Athlete Development and Youth Development. I did a coaching course last year in which we touched on the subject, but what did come through was that whilst it is all important not to push youngsters, it is also all important not to let them push themselves too hard. If youngsters are doing too high distances when they are young it has effects on there sporting abilities when they are older. More is not always better and it should be a combination of protecting your son from being pushed by others and himself.

I can put you into contact with someone who knows a lot on this subject as he has been very involved with the Australian and Canadian coaching curriculum. He will be able to guide you at least on where to get some more information which will come in very handy. I believe that this will be a big key as to how far your son is able to develop his talent into the future and it is going to be very important for you as a family to understand the principles behind LTAD and YD as well.

Hallo The Break,

I would gladly accept your offer on the contact for the coaching curriculum. How do I go about it (still new on the "hub" thing), or will you contact me? Should I give you my details - not sure

Hallo DMC007 and All, below a list of Carlo's races in 2010.

DATE EVENT DIST TIME

28/12/2009 Sabrina Love Challenge 2009 - Plettenberg Bay 25km 02:29

06/02/2010 Herald VW Mountain Bike Race 2010 - Addo 30km 02:15

20/02/2010 Die Oubos MTB Challenge 2010 - George 15km 02:00

10/04/2010 Tsitsikamma MTB Challenge 2010 - Stormsrivier 23km 02:55

12/04/2010 Kingfisher MTB Enduro 2010 - Hoekwil 20km 01:42

27/04/2010 Homtini MTB Challenge 2010 - Rheenendal 30km 02:54

22/05/2010 Buffelsdrfit MTB Challenge 2010 - Oudtshoorn 20km 01:48

26/06/2010 Gansbaai Sterk Trap 2010 - Gansbaai 23km 02:36

31/07/2010 Die Burger MTB Challenge 2010 - Stellenbosch 30km 02:31

07/08/2010 Kamanassie Bergspook - Oudtshoorn 40km 03:34

29/08/2010 Oude Molen MTB Challenge 2010 - Grabouw 10km 01:04

04/09/2010 Herold Agri Landbou Fees MTB 2010 - Oudtshoorn 20km 01:46

11/09/2010 Eight Bells Enduro 2010 - George 15km 01:33

18/09/2010 ODN Moedergemeente 2010 - Oudtshoorn 30km 01:55

25/09/2010 Hermanus Whale Festival MTB 2010 – Hermanus 29km 04:03

30/10/2010 Mondi Addo MTB 2010 Time Trial – Addo 10km 00:34

31/10/2010 Mondi Addo MTB Challenge 2010 – Addo 30km 02:24

As you can see - he takes it easy (km ave.). He LOVES mtb'ing

Hallo DMC007 and All, below a list of Carlo's races in 2010.

DATE EVENT DIST TIME

28/12/2009 Sabrina Love Challenge 2009 - Plettenberg Bay 25km 02:29

06/02/2010 Herald VW Mountain Bike Race 2010 - Addo 30km 02:15

20/02/2010 Die Oubos MTB Challenge 2010 - George 15km 02:00

10/04/2010 Tsitsikamma MTB Challenge 2010 - Stormsrivier 23km 02:55

12/04/2010 Kingfisher MTB Enduro 2010 - Hoekwil 20km 01:42

27/04/2010 Homtini MTB Challenge 2010 - Rheenendal 30km 02:54

22/05/2010 Buffelsdrfit MTB Challenge 2010 - Oudtshoorn 20km 01:48

26/06/2010 Gansbaai Sterk Trap 2010 - Gansbaai 23km 02:36

31/07/2010 Die Burger MTB Challenge 2010 - Stellenbosch 30km 02:31

07/08/2010 Kamanassie Bergspook - Oudtshoorn 40km 03:34

29/08/2010 Oude Molen MTB Challenge 2010 - Grabouw 10km 01:04

04/09/2010 Herold Agri Landbou Fees MTB 2010 - Oudtshoorn 20km 01:46

11/09/2010 Eight Bells Enduro 2010 - George 15km 01:33

18/09/2010 ODN Moedergemeente 2010 - Oudtshoorn 30km 01:55

25/09/2010 Hermanus Whale Festival MTB 2010 – Hermanus 29km 04:03

30/10/2010 Mondi Addo MTB 2010 Time Trial – Addo 10km 00:34

31/10/2010 Mondi Addo MTB Challenge 2010 – Addo 30km 02:24

As you can see - he takes it easy (km ave.). He LOVES mtb'ing

Kamanassie Bergpook and Hermanus Whale Festival. That is a very, very, long way for a young kid who has a tiny glycogen supply. I will speak to some guys as in my opinion some of these times are far to long for such a young guy and you may be doing some damage, BUT I would rather you hear what some experts have to say.

Just emailed someone who can give you some good advice in Canada. Will wait for a reply and send you some info via PM. He is Olympic level so knows his stuff.

Edited by The_Break

Kamanassie Bergpook and Hermanus Whale Festival. That is a very, very, long way for a young kid who has a tiny glycogen supply. I will speak to some guys as in my opinion some of these times are far to long for such a young guy and you may be doing some damage, BUT I would rather you hear what some experts have to say.

Just emailed someone who can give you some good advice in Canada. Will wait for a reply and send you some info via PM. He is Olympic level so knows his stuff.

Hallo The Break,

I will appreciate it very much - Thanks

• 1 year later...

Hallo The Break,

I will appreciate it very much - Thanks

I used to have a table of the age group-maximum distance but I've lost it now.

What I remember, is that U14's shouldn't ride over 35km.

Can't really remember anything else :blush:

But, obviously one gets extraordinary cases which allow exceptions.

What I can recommend, from personal experience, is to let him/make him do the shorter rides.

Let him move up the distances when he can, but if you plan on him racing XCO/XCM and he's already been doing 35km he might suffer with the changes in pace and intensity on an XCO course.

Rather let him do the shorter rides faster than the longer rides while suffering.

In my opinion.

I have seen the little oke on most of the races back in

George

Keep it up and make sure he enjoys it

Still going to be interested to see what happens with the young man within the next decade. Interesting to hear what advice his dad got from my contact as well as others and if he followed or ignored it?

Still going to be interested to see what happens with the young man within the next decade. Interesting to hear what advice his dad got from my contact as well as others and if he followed or ignored it?

Hope he does.

Carlo should be limited to 15km for a while, otherwise it may stunt his development.

Who knows, he may be the next Burry?

Persian as jy vir Freddie sien se hom ek stuur groete, Revue in Mosambiek en Ondjiva in Angola, hy sal wet wi ek is.

My 2c worth

Its great but I don't think the max distance should exceed 15-20km.

In some European countries they don't allow them to race until they are over 12 or 14 yrs, as it has to be fun at that age.

You don't want to put to much strain on the legs, as it may inflict damage to the bones later etc.

WE already have restricted gears for the youngsters in road cycling, to prevent these types of problems to boneplates.

CyclingSA also enforce distance limits in mountain biking, depending on the age of the rider.

From their website i got the following:

"Sub Junior and younger [14 yrs and younger] riders are not permitted to ride a

Half-Marathon or longer."

A halfmarathon is usually between +- 30-45km.

http://www.cyclingsa.com/rules-and-regulations.aspx#41

My son also started cycling at a very young age, many years ago. I spoke to many coaches then and took the decision to stick to short distances.

I hope this info helps as real talent should be handled with extra care, to ensure they don't stop before they are 16yrs for various reasons.