Convert Ramp MAP Test / FTP / Watts per kg to VO2Max

I have been doing Ramp MAP Tests in a lab to get my Functional Threshold Power and watts / kg. Does anyone have a formula to estimate VO2Max from this data? I found one this morning with Google but for the life of me I cannot locate it again.

Thanks

Edited by Luke.

I've always been intrigued by VO2MAX. Its not really a number u can change as easily as FTP or PPO

Once its been measured, it pretty much always stays the same

That said, there are some debates as to whether or not altitude training helps increase it

I've always been intrigued by VO2MAX. Its not really a number u can change as easily as FTP or PPO

Once its been measured, it pretty much always stays the same

That said, there are some debates as to whether or not altitude training helps increase it

My understanding is that it's the upper limit of your VO2Max that cannot change, but that it does adapt to training up to that point. And also that it deteriorates with age at a steady rate (as do most things).

Once you hit the upper limit you have to train your Anaerobic / Lactate Threshold to get better.

Anyhow, there is more than one forumula to estimate your VO2Max from your Functional Threshold Power and weight (mentioned on my link above), but I cannot seem to find it anywhere. I have my MAP Ramp data and w/kg.. just need to know the sums to calculate VO2Max...

Use the Hawley-Noakes Equation. Google it if you'd like to read more about it...

VO2 max (L/min) = 0.01141 x Wmax (Peak Power Output) +0.435

My understanding is that it's the upper limit of your VO2Max that cannot change, but that it does adapt to training up to that point. And also that it deteriorates with age at a steady rate (as do most things).

Once you hit the upper limit you have to train your Anaerobic / Lactate Threshold to get better.

Anyhow, there is more than one forumula to estimate your VO2Max from your Functional Threshold Power and weight (mentioned on my link above), but I cannot seem to find it anywhere. I have my MAP Ramp data and w/kg.. just need to know the sums to calculate VO2Max...

The big question is how do you know if you have hit the upper level of VO2max? There is so much to consider such as your base, your previous few years of cycling, your lean body mass and usable muscle, your effective lungs capacity at the time of test, your %fat, etc, etc.

VO2max can change over the years as your body and training changes, but if you are already at the top of your performance curve you will not change it very much more than about 2-5.

Easiest way to increase you VO2max if you are not near your peak is to loose fat and non-working muscle.

Use the Hawley-Noakes Equation. Google it if you'd like to read more about it...

How does this take into account the rider's weight.. or is there a step missing here? Should oxygen uptake not be measured in terms of litres / kg?

How does this take into account the rider's weight.. or is there a step missing here? Should oxygen uptake not be measured in terms of litres / kg?

VO2 max (also maximal oxygen consumption, maximal oxygen uptake, peak oxygen uptake or aerobic capacity) is the maximum capacity of an individual's body to transport and use oxygen during incremental exercise, which reflects the physical fitness of the individual. The name is derived from V - volume per time, O2 - oxygen, max - maximum.

VO2 max is expressed either as an absolute rate in litres of oxygen per minute (l/min) or as a relative rate in millilitres of oxygen per kilogram of bodyweight per minute (ml/kg/min), the latter expression is often used to compare the performance of endurance sports athletes. A less size-biased measure is to divide by rather than mass.

The big question is how do you know if you have hit the upper level of VO2max? There is so much to consider such as your base, your previous few years of cycling, your lean body mass and usable muscle, your effective lungs capacity at the time of test, your %fat, etc, etc.

VO2max can change over the years as your body and training changes, but if you are already at the top of your performance curve you will not change it very much more than about 2-5.

Easiest way to increase you VO2max if you are not near your peak is to loose fat and non-working muscle.

Ye, it's a complicated area. I'd be happy to know what mine is right now though, seeing as that's what I'll be using in a few weeks time when AT and Daikin are working me over on the deep south hills :P

Ye, it's a complicated area. I'd be happy to know what mine is right now though, seeing as that's what I'll be using in a few weeks time when AT and Daikin are working me over on the deep south hills :P

Man unless you training and riding with a PM don't worry about it and just give it horns.

I take it you have youur power to weight ration (PTW)? if so

VO2max = 12 * PTW + 3.3 more or less

Edited by The_Break

Ok.. could you possibly tell me how to arrive at a relative VO2Max with this equation? ie. Litres / kg. I am getting weird numbers. A PPO of 455 gives me a value of 5.62655 when I apply the above. What am I doing wrong?

Ok.. could you possibly tell me how to arrive at a relative VO2Max with this equation? ie. Litres / kg. I am getting weird numbers. A PPO of 455 gives me a value of 5.62655 when I apply the above. What am I doing wrong?

l/min can be converted to ml/min by multiplying by 1000. Then you tims that by your mass in kg and you should get VO2max in ml/kg/min. I.e. if you weight 80kg you should get a VO2max of 70.33ml/kg/min which is in the upper elite level of VO2max so is not improbable even though high. I would assume you are very lean and on the level whereby you hang with the teams you mentioned?

Although with it being an estimation it could be lower or higher.

I have been officially lab tested at 68 with 6% extra fat so your figures may be rather accurate.

Edited by The_Break

l/min can be converted to ml/min by multiplying by 1000. Then you tims that by your mass in kg and you should get VO2max in ml/kg/min. I.e. if you weight 80kg you should get a VO2max of 70.33ml/kg/min which is in the upper elite level of VO2max so is not improbable even though high. I would assume you are very lean and on the level whereby you hang with the teams you mentioned?

Although with it being an estimation it could be lower or higher.

I have been officially lab tested at 68 with 6% extra fat so your figures may be rather accurate.

Thanks, that clears things up, although I think you mean I should divide by my body weight in kg. I weigh 83.5kg today, so my VO2Max comes out at 67.383. I don't have much fat to lose, mostly upper body muscle mass from weight training many years ago. Unfortunately I don't think 2 weeks is time enough to get rid of it haha. I think I'm in better shape than last year though.