Convert Ramp MAP Test / FTP / Watts per kg to VO2Max

Thanks, that clears things up, although I think you mean I should divide by my body weight in kg. I weigh 83.5kg today, so my VO2Max comes out at 67.383. I don't have much fat to lose, mostly upper body muscle mass from weight training many years ago. Unfortunately I don't think 2 weeks is time enough to get rid of it haha. I think I'm in better shape than last year though.

Yeah, sorry, dividing is what I meant. Hey that is a pretty decent figure if you are sitting at 70 with a lot of upper body mass. That Power to weight ratio how was it determined. It that at lactate or is that peak power? I forgot to ask. What are your figures?

Edited by The_Break

Yeah, sorry, dividing is what I meant. Hey that is a pretty decent figure if you are sitting at 70 with a lot of upper body mass. That Power to weight ratio how was it determined. It that at lactate or is that peak power? I forgot to ask. What are your figures?

It was a Ramp test at UCT Sports Science. We start at 200 watts and power increases incrementally until failure (If I remember correctly by 1 watt every 3 seconds, or 20 watts per minute). The test is blind - so we can't see the data until we're done. Once complete 10 watts is subtracted from what I think is the final minute peak power output - so 465 watts - 10 = 455 watts.

So peak power I guess. We are also doing 40k tt's which are used to determine LT and personalised training zones.

It was a Ramp test at UCT Sports Science. We start at 200 watts and power increases incrementally until failure (If I remember correctly by 1 watt every 3 seconds, or 20 watts per minute). The test is blind - so we can't see the data until we're done. Once complete 10 watts is subtracted from what I think is the final minute peak power output - so 465 watts - 10 = 455 watts.

So peak power I guess. We are also doing 40k tt's which are used to determine LT and personalised training zones.

That is a very good peak power output. As you said you have a lot of upper body mass, but it looks as if you VO2max will be pretty accurate. I would concentrate of losing that upper body muscle the next 2 seasons, but keeping the leg muscle. If you are riding with that kind of power that is awesome.

Depending on your program and base you are probably doing a 40km TT in about 54-55min?

That is a very good peak power output. As you said you have a lot of upper body mass, but it looks as if you VO2max will be pretty accurate. I would concentrate of losing that upper body muscle the next 2 seasons, but keeping the leg muscle. If you are riding with that kind of power that is awesome.

Depending on your program and base you are probably doing a 40km TT in about 54-55min?

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Really regretting trying to impress the girlfriend with all that bench pressing now hahahaha.

Unfortunately my 40k time, whilst apparently decent is nowhere near 55 minutes. I've done 3 so far, all between 1:00:32 and 1:00:21. Last one Thursday, gonna see if I can crack the hour - just need to go 1% faster!

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Really regretting trying to impress the girlfriend with all that bench pressing now hahahaha.

Unfortunately my 40k time, whilst apparently decent is nowhere near 55 minutes. I've done 3 so far, all between 1:00:32 and 1:00:21. Last one Thursday, gonna see if I can crack the hour - just need to go 1% faster!

Is that on a full TT bike with deep section wheels, a TT helmet, full TT bars, skinsuite, etc?

Is that on a full TT bike with deep section wheels, a TT helmet, full TT bars, skinsuite, etc?

No way, that's on my own bike on a stationery trainer in the lab. The trainer is calibrated at the beginning of the session to account for rolling resistance, rider weight etc. Apparently it's pretty accurate.

I think if I had all the kit you mention I could break an hour on a flat course with good conditions. Never ridden a tt bike though, I'd probably have to get used to the position first.

Edited by Luke.

No way, that's on a stationery trainer in the lab. The trainer is calibrated at the beginning of the session to account for rolling resistance, rider weight etc. Apparently it's pretty accurate.

I think if I had all the kit you mention I could break an hour on a flat course with good conditions.

Oh ok, let's put it into perspective for you:

I am 73kg and last tested I sat at 411W PPO. I had just ended my base when I did the test so my lactate was relatively low. I took part in our provincial TT champs a few weeks later and posted a 57min. Flat road, course tar, but had the full kit short of a disc.

If you are riding with a PPO of 455W and loose that upper body mass you are going to be giving a lot of very good cyclists a big hiding in the years to come. I am only speaking from your stats and assume you are already riding competitively, but if you hook yourself up with the right coaches and team you are going to go far.

Oh ok, let's put it into perspective for you:

I am 73kg and last tested I sat at 411W PPO. I had just ended my base when I did the test so my lactate was relatively low. I took part in our provincial TT champs a few weeks later and posted a 57min. Flat road, course tar, but had the full kit short of a disc.

If you are riding with a PPO of 455W and loose that upper body mass you are going to be giving a lot of very good cyclists a big hiding in the years to come. I am only speaking from your stats and assume you are already riding competitively, but if you hook yourself up with the right coaches and team you are going to go far.

Ok, I have a way to go to get to your power to weight.. I'll keep at it. Only just coming up for 2nd summer league now.. started this cycling thing a bit late. Thanks for the encouragement.