Be the first to know!!!

CWC Online

I buy alot from CWC, i enjoy going to their shop and enjoy the service I get from most of their staff. I'll continue supporting them while they provide me with that service.

Having said that I do think that ASG is going about things the right way. They are investing heavily by keeping stock on hand(esxpensive stock at that), and their prices seem comparable to official prices all over the world. I remember an interview with Alan Van Heerden. He said that the secret to success is keeping stock in all sizes on hand. The last thing a customer wants to hear is they have to wait for products. There are so many fly by nights in SA because any Joe can import stuff and they appear successful for a while until they realise their business model isn't sustainable. I don't want to know that I can buy x Italian brand but have to wait 3 months for the next shipment. You need serious financial backing to be sustainable. Imagine a fly by night having to return a busted Dogma to Italy for a warranty claim, or even worse having to write it off.

At least ASG is showing us their hand and being upfront with the customer, way more than can be said with much of the SA cycling industry.

Edited by velo

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, this thread may be hijacked but it is most definitely part of the success of CWC's viral marketing strategy. While they haven't planned it, the mileage they are getting from it can only make them smile.

Edited by velo

TW, it seems as if you have done the digging already, so let's not duplicate effort :P C'mon, spill the beans.

I agree, sounds like TW knows a little more than he's telling. I definitely am interested in hearing more! :)

Guest coenie

Keep it up Chris, thanks for your FANTASTIC service and Prices.....

This is actually a good hi-jack, lets see the debate.

Selling grey products and hiding the fact, in my mind is un-ethical, but selling products not imported/through the distributors and making it known to the public is in no way underhanded, I have found CWC warrentee better than the distributers acyually, no questions and replaced a tyre, show me a distributer who will replace a 4 month old bicycle tyre no question!

My biggest gripe with the the official distributers of products in SA is, they always will eventually match the prices of "non approved" suppliers, but happy to screw us when there is no compitetion. Then the same whinge: We spent xxxx on marketing, we carry stock, service, and , and, and. Mostly crap cos they bring in a fraction of the range, service is crap, advertising very selective and a stinking arrogant attitude.

This selling of "grey product" being underhanded and unsanctioned, is a bit of rubbish actulally, if it is unsanctioned dealing the the manufactureres can stop it if the really had the will, CWC won their case against the Mavic distributers with cost, but still selling Mavic wheels after the fact, if it was so bad and unethical the manufacturers of MAvic could do more digging and put a sstop to it, but why the hell would they? They are selling the wheels anyhow, and supporting them at no cost to Mavic either.

Firstly, I have no affiliation whatsoever to ASG but I think that some of the comments are grossly unfair towards them! The ASG business model is completely different to that of CWC, I'm in the distribution game myself and can closely relate to the points (such as R/$ fluctuations) that ASG have raised, you win some and you lose some and its unfair to brand them as being expensive because they may have landed product at an inflated price because of currency issues, the fact remains they're committed to all of their their brands and keep stock locally ALL THE TIME, although the CWC range is comprehensive, they dont always have items in stock, I've found on a few occasion when trying to order stock from them that its not available (out of stock), I'm not attacking CWC at all and am neither pro ASG but lets just be fair. The mere fact that ASG have 1.) attempted to defend themselves 2.) highlighted why their prices are sometimes out and 3.) attempted to redeem themselves shows their commitment to this industry in my opinion.

Apart from them committing to holding stock locally they're also very involved in SA cycling in terms of sponsorships, so they're giving back to the industry as well, how many of the online retailers are matching this or even doing it at all?

Just be fair guys, thats the only point I'm trying to raise, no one's perfect and when a distributor is trying to rectify a situation give them a chance to do so without being biased!

Guest coenie

Well said Mackie....I fully agree....just look at the range of Specialized in the USA / AUS and SA....we only get 1 / 2 choices and our prices is on avg R3000 more than theirs.

CWC provides some of the best warranty’s that you can find...I think that whole notion of "grey" is nonsense...if the factory made it, it is REAL...I am yet to see what the distributors give us to make "grey" uncool.

I would rather have a product at a decent price, fantastic service and backup (without a serial number) than a ONLY a serial number that I paid premuim for and no backup etc.

distributers = Middle men = fixing prices nuff said.

Jatho====how can R/$ fluctuation = 40%?

Edited by coenie

This selling of "grey product" being underhanded and unsanctioned, is a bit of rubbish actulally, if it is unsanctioned dealing the the manufactureres can stop it if the really had the will, CWC won their case against the Mavic distributers with cost, but still selling Mavic wheels after the fact, if it was so bad and unethical the manufacturers of MAvic could do more digging and put a sstop to it, but why the hell would they? They are selling the wheels anyhow, and supporting them at no cost to Mavic either.

I seem to remember a post that said that case actually involved both the local Mavic agent and Mavic themselves being the complainants.

Guest coenie

I seem to remember a post that said that case actually involved both the local Mavic agent and Mavic themselves being the complainants.

I remember CWC winning that case? = NOT guilty?

Well said Mackie....I fully agree....just look at the range of Specialized in the USA / AUS and SA....we only get 1 / 2 choices and our prices is on avg R3000 more than theirs.

CWC provides some of the best warranty’s that you can find...I think that whole notion of "grey" is nonsense...if the factory made it, it is REAL...I am yet to see what the distributors give us to make "grey" uncool.

I would rather have a product at a decent price, fantastic service and backup (without a serial number) than a ONLY a serial number that I paid premuim for and no backup etc.

distributers = Middle men = fixing prices nuff said.

Jatho====how can R/$ fluctuation = 40%?

I completely agree with you, R/$ fluctuations cannot account for a 40% price difference, I'm not sure what item you're specifically referring to but could the price variance not have been as a result of CWC running a promo on that particular item when ASG weren't? I've seen some of the specials that ASG run and thought that they were pretty good and in a lost of cases they were the ones with the price difference being in their favor.

Like I said, I'm on no particular side here, at the end of the day with current market conditions price plays a huge role but backup and after sales support is key and should be taken into account, if CWC is good with this then well done to CWC, if ASG isn't then they need to lift their game, point is its not only price and because ASG work through a reseller channel they're at risk that their reseller could drop the ball a bit and not offer fantastic after sales support which indirectly I guess reflects poorly on ASG but if this is the case lets take a more constructive stance as consumers.

They were both involved for sure, not sure of the details though. You would think the manufactureres would have to support the local agents no matter what. My point was that with investigation the principle's could find where the product is coming from and apply pressure to those agents/ distributers, to not supply to SA retailers.

Only time will tell one this, people will vote with their wallets and the others need to up their game or go bust. That goes for anyone

Guest coenie

Just got of the phone with Le Pelaton (distributors of specialized ) asking them if I can get a Carbon epic 29er...

"sorry we do not bring that in"

But I have tried to get it from the US and all the bike shops there refuse to ship outside of the country...."as per agreement with Specialized"

Can you get me one..."yes but it has to be a Special order and up the R8000 more"

So why dont you bring in a bigger range?

"we can not afford to bring in every type"

But then you also tie my hands that I can not bring it in from oversees?

"well that is specialized'

AAARRGGGG!!!!! Thanks Specialized...for nothing....

And that is a prime excample why Chris's model is working so well....

Edited by coenie

.... CWC won their case against the Mavic distributers with cost....

I heard a different story (from what I consider a very reliable source) and am now not sure what to believe. Perhaps CWC should post a copy of the court order. If they were successful, as they say they were, it shouldn't be a problem?

..... I'm not attacking CWC at all and am neither pro ASG but lets just be fair. The mere fact that ASG have 1.) attempted to defend themselves 2.) highlighted why their prices are sometimes out and 3.) attempted to redeem themselves shows their commitment to this industry in my opinion.

Apart from them committing to holding stock locally they're also very involved in SA cycling in terms of sponsorships, so they're giving back to the industry as well, how many of the online retailers are matching this or even doing it at all?

Just be fair guys, thats the only point I'm trying to raise, no one's perfect and when a distributor is trying to rectify a situation give them a chance to do so without being biased!

Nice post. I don't have any ties to either business whatsoever either, but as far as I'm concerned there's nothing worse than a business bad mouthing others. If you're an honest, fair businessman there shouldn't be any need to take cheap shots at other businesses. Or am I just living in a dream world?

Just got of the phone with Le Pelaton (distributors of specialized ) asking them if I can get a Carbon epic 29er...

"sorry we do not bring that in"

But I have tried to get it from the US and all the bike shops there refuse to ship outside of the country...."as per agreement with Specialized"

Can you get me one..."yes but it has to be a Special order and up the R8000 more"

So why dont you bring in a bigger range?

"we can not afford to bring in every type"

But then you also tie my hands that I can not bring it in from oversees?

"well that is specialized'

AAARRGGGG!!!!! Thanks Specialized...for nothing....

And that is a prime excample why Chris's model is working so well....

But can CWC get what you want for you? CWC seem to get certain items in bulk at very good prices but don't have the rest of the standard stock one would think that they would carry. Then what? CRC? :)

Guest coenie

I heard a different story (from what I consider a very reliable source) and am now not sure what to believe. Perhaps CWC should post a copy of the court order. If they were successful, as they say they were, it shouldn't be a problem?

Nice post. I don't have any ties to either business whatsoever either, but as far as I'm concerned there's nothing worse than a business bad mouthing others. If you're an honest, fair businessman there shouldn't be any need to take cheap shots at other businesses. Or am I just living in a dream world?

But can CWC get what you want for you? CWC seem to get certain items in bulk at very good prices but don't have the rest of the standard stock one would think that they would carry. Then what? CRC? :)

If CWC "lost" the case...howcome they are still selling Mavic Products?

Court cases are resolved in lots of different ways and often never end up in court where a judgment is pronounced on the merits. CWC may have won, lost or the matter was settled or simply withdrawn for any number of reasons. They stated that they won - which I understood to mean that the matter went to court and the merits were argued and considered by a judge or magistrate. I then heard otherwise; which is why I am asking for clarity. It should be a simple matter to resolve.