Advice needed!

Lamber

Hi,

I'm a avid MTBer and are up to date with everything that is needed to ride the heavy ones. Problem is- the girlfriend is a triathlete and wants a road bike for the task (slicks on the mtb apparently dont cut it no more!:)

I'm not looking for a triathlon specific bike, just a normal roadbike. My limit is R10k and it needs to be a brand new bike. Where do i start? The fork? the drivetrain? what's good, what's bad? Good shops around PTA/Joburg?

Any advice will be helpfull.

Thanks much.

Hi,

I'm a avid MTBer and are up to date with everything that is needed to ride the heavy ones. Problem is- the girlfriend is a triathlete and wants a road bike for the task (slicks on the mtb apparently dont cut it no more!:)

I'm not looking for a triathlon specific bike, just a normal roadbike. My limit is R10k and it needs to be a brand new bike. Where do i start? The fork? the drivetrain? what's good, what's bad? Good shops around PTA/Joburg?

Any advice will be helpfull.

Thanks much.

I was looking at https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/92783-new-to-road-cycling-which-bike-advice-again/page__view__findpost__p__1260315 haven't gotten either yet but they seem like good value (from what I have heard) and under your price limit.

Lamber, much as I hesitate to recommend Bicycling mag, there's a round-up of bikes in December's issue that may be helpful. The other thing, of course, is to look for a "female geometry" as well as the smaller gearchanges etc that gals prefer.

Silverback is good value for money and if you phone Kevin or Donna at Cycle Fusion they will do a good deal - 011 679 5171

Take note, they are closing between Christmas and New Year but maybe you can catch them before they close and get a price

Pity it has to be new. If you could buy pre-owned I would suggest a Cervelo Soloist Team or Cervelo S1. I just sold one for R12500 with some nice kit on so I am sure you could pick up one for 10k. The advantage over a 10k new bike is that it will be more aero, have better (even though older) components and it will most probably fit her better as Cervelo's fit is one that generally fits all shapes and sizes as can be read on there website.

If it was me I would go this way. Well actually. I did go this way 5 times already. :)

I'd suggest you look at somehting from the Merida Range.

See if you can push the budget to somehting Carbon- Scultura.

I would look for a bike with at least a 105 Groupset.

Merida Juliet

Pity it has to be new. If you could buy pre-owned I would suggest a Cervelo Soloist Team or Cervelo S1. I just sold one for R12500 with some nice kit on so I am sure you could pick up one for 10k. The advantage over a 10k new bike is that it will be more aero, have better (even though older) components and it will most probably fit her better as Cervelo's fit is one that generally fits all shapes and sizes as can be read on there website.

If it was me I would go this way. Well actually. I did go this way 5 times already. :)

Thanx for the advice, will keep an eye out for the Cervelo on theHub and other sites.