V-brake and Disc-brake wheels COMBO

RodTi

Hello all,

This strikes me as being a rather silly question - but reckon I've asked so many in the past - so why stop now! :P

I'm resurrecting an old frame in the next few months, that runs v-brakes but that can be converted to take disc.

My current frame is v-brake only, so I initially plan on carrying all across as is.

When time and budget allows - I'll upgrade to disc - and convert the first frame to a SS.

My v-brake wheelset will then go back to the SS.

Therefore, at some point - I'm going to have to buy/build a new wheelset.

My current wheels have treated me well over the past 4 years - but don't really want to take the rims through another wet, muddy winter...

I'm accordingly thinking of getting a new wheelset sooner, rather than later, and leaving the current set for the eventual SS, where they can be used more selectively.

Question: Is it possible / does it make any sort of sense to build a wheelset that essentially has disc-specific hubs etc., with a v-brake rims/hoops?

Something like Hope Pro 2 hubs - DT Swiss spokes - and Mavic XM719s?

Assuming I then make the switch, I reason I could then run the disc brakes as per normal, albeit with v-brake rims? Surely I could then simply swap out the v-brake rims for 'disc-specific' rims later?

Any opinions / suggestions would be appreciated!

:)

a rim is a rim.. disk rims just look nicer with more room for decals etc.

had a set of avg rims on Disk XTR hubs for a long time.

worked like a rim should.

Thanks Renier...

I figured as much - but I've yet to start worrying about disc-specific terms/tech, so thought I would check.

I basically wanted to know whether a v-brake rim would 'align' with a disc-specific hub without any issues - I presume they would? 32h hub needs a 32h rim - irrespective of whether the rim is v-brake or disc-specific?

Is it that simple?

I'm building my SS this way. Same story with the frame, older v-brake frame with a new fork. thinking of milling a adapter to bolt to the frame to take the rear caliper. I have seen this done on a fisher. or the first prize would be just to have v-brakes on the back and good stop'rs on the front where you need them. even thinking a 180 disk.

I'm building my SS this way. Same story with the frame, older v-brake frame with a new fork. thinking of milling a adapter to bolt to the frame to take the rear caliper. I have seen this done on a fisher. or the first prize would be just to have v-brakes on the back and good stop'rs on the front where you need them. even thinking a 180 disk.

Yanks call this "mullet style" - disc front, v's at the back...

I might actually end up going this route on the 'new' frame.

Unicoi might be a bit too flexy with discs at the back...

Renier is right. The rims don't care about the hubs and vice versa. What you want to do makes sense but I suggest you choose your rims very carefully. Choose rims with similar ERDs (effective rim diameter) so that when you swap over to disc-specific rims later, you can keep the same spokes.

If the ERDs differ by as much as 3mm (an depending how the rounding-off or rounding up calculations were done initially), you will have to get new spokes as well. Spokes are expensive.

This will require quite a bit of research.

Renier is right. The rims don't care about the hubs and vice versa. What you want to do makes sense but I suggest you choose your rims very carefully. Choose rims with similar ERDs (effective rim diameter) so that when you swap over to disc-specific rims later, you can keep the same spokes.

If the ERDs differ by as much as 3mm (an depending how the rounding-off or rounding up calculations were done initially), you will have to get new spokes as well. Spokes are expensive.

This will require quite a bit of research.

very good advice!! will also keep this in mind in future! tx JB

Thanks JB - will keep all of this in mind, though I reckon it would probably be easier if I just get you to build the wheels! :P

Will probably be PM'ing you in due course!

Yanks call this "mullet style" - disc front, v's at the back...

I might actually end up going this route on the 'new' frame.

Unicoi might be a bit too flexy with discs at the back...

Danger Dassie's Schwinn is set up this way. I havve a Mavic Crossride wheelset that is "dual duty".

Check again chaps.

A lot of Disc specific rims are not compatible with V-brake setups. They are painted complete. They are often oval or triangular extrusions.

Using a V-brake rim with discs is no prob however.

Putting disc specific rims on a V-brake setup will simply cost you more, unless u are going to add disc brakes later.

Hope that helps.

thinking of milling a adapter to bolt to the frame to take the rear caliper

I wonder if those are commercially available, would be handy for cyclocross

Use Magura hydraulic rim brakes ,check CRC for really good prices .

They are definative rim brakes , used on a tandem tourer and early downhill.

The trick guys still use them ,only downside mud ,and how often do you ride in that ?