ENO for cramps...... is it true?

Vetseun

Somebody recently placed a comment that ENO'S is an almost instant cure for cramps. I didnt take it very seriously but on a ride the other night one of my buddies claimed that during the Baviaans he started cramping at about 160km. Somebody popped him a glass of eno's at a water point. He says he recovered almost at once and on top of that he felt great and did his best time ever.

Do we possibly have any doctors or sports scientists on the hub that could comment on this.Is it true or is it in the mind.

I am not a Doctor (of Medicine :) ), but yes it does work if the cramps are caused by lactic acid. I have proven it enough times myself.

The theory is this. You stomach is your primary acid reservoir with your body also having a certain amount of acid due to normal activities. Exercise at high levels of intensity produce lactic acid which CAN be ONE of the causes of cramps. When youu drink ENOs or eat rennies or any ant-acid it immediately bring down the pH in your stomach and your body reacts so as to restore this pH by pulling acids into the stomach from the body. One of these acids being the lactic acid in your muscle which are also buffered by the pH chain reaction.

Sometimes cramps are caused by other things and then it will probably not work.

Just be carefull on using ENOs and Rennies and such during long events as when you use them they tend to stop your stomach from digesting food efficiently and then you are likely to not want to eat more food and hence BONK.

Shot thanks man that is very interesting. Ill be trying it for sure

I am not a Doctor (of Medicine :) ), but yes it does work if the cramps are caused by lactic acid. I have proven it enough times myself.

The theory is this. You stomach is your primary acid reservoir with your body also having a certain amount of acid due to normal activities. Exercise at high levels of intensity produce lactic acid which CAN be ONE of the causes of cramps. When youu drink ENOs or eat rennies or any ant-acid it immediately bring down the pH in your stomach and your body reacts so as to restore this pH by pulling acids into the stomach from the body. One of these acids being the lactic acid in your muscle which are also buffered by the pH chain reaction.

Sometimes cramps are caused by other things and then it will probably not work.

Just be carefull on using ENOs and Rennies and such during long events as when you use them they tend to stop your stomach from digesting food efficiently and then you are likely to not want to eat more food and hence BONK.

+1

You need to feel it to believe it!

I got dropped from the Argus invitational group due to cramps stemming from too much of a good Giro. So I plodded along munching on some rennies. Finally I got going again and had huge power from nowhere. TTed till just before the bottom of Chappies where I hooked onto the back of the front 4-5 tandems and whacked it so hard up Chapmans that I believe I was in big ring even be it on the top of my cluster.

So yeah, from cramps back and front to sitting at about 330W for 90 minutes. I would think Rennies are not a bad idea when it happens. Multiple other times have had it work.

Got the idea from an ex-track World Champ and multiple SA champ and Sprinkbok. He swears by it. As do an number of elite athletes I know.

You have to check this out, there are 49 ways to stop cramp. You will see them near the bottom of the page

http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/remedy/Leg-Cramps.html#top

Here is one of them

You may think this is crazy. I was getting cramps in my toes every night. My husband would get leg cramps every once in a while. Some one told us to put a bar of soap in the bed. I put it in a sock and between us. We haven't had cramps since.Crazy but it's working for us so far. p.s. Once my husband had bad leg cramps. As soon as his teeth touch a banana it stoped.

WTF? :D :lol:

Brilliant thanks

You need to feel it to believe it!

I got dropped from the Argus invitational group due to cramps stemming from too much of a good Giro. So I plodded along munching on some rennies. Finally I got going again and had huge power from nowhere. TTed till just before the bottom of Chappies where I hooked onto the back of the front 4-5 tandems and whacked it so hard up Chapmans that I believe I was in big ring even be it on the top of my cluster.

So yeah, from cramps back and front to sitting at about 330W for 90 minutes. I would think Rennies are not a bad idea when it happens. Multiple other times have had it work.

Got the idea from an ex-track World Champ and multiple SA champ and Sprinkbok. He swears by it. As do an number of elite athletes I know.

Ons of my mates cramped badly during the Argus MTB last year. The medic gave him Eno mixed with coke which sorted him out almost instantly!

Guest Frail4Life

Ons of my mates cramped badly during the Argus MTB last year. The medic gave him Eno mixed with coke which sorted him out almost instantly!

I was given that mix on the DC, Yes it did help but then I was a little way over exhausted.