XT Crank 9spd

Stig

Hi there,

I have a 2010, 9 spd XT crank, my middle chain ring needs to be replaced, can I use a SLX middle chain ring will it fit? blink.gif

Hi there,

I have a 2010, 9 spd XT crank, my middle chain ring needs to be replaced, can I use a SLX middle chain ring will it fit? blink.gif

yes cheaper too

You must be riding a lot to wear that out in a year ,

Suggest you look at Chain reaction cycles web Middleburn rings they probably a little more expensive but will last a lot longer,CNC coated in high grade ali, and you dont pay local Shimano ripoff prices !

slx is definately a down grade ,thats why its cheaper ,

Wear in the chainrings is often associated with keeping chains to long, this knocks on to the cassette as well, so it really does not make sense to save money in this critical usage area .

Good luck.

so it really does not make sense to save money in this critical usage area.

Untrue...

More expensive does not necessarily mean more durable. In fact, with chainrings it's often the complete opposite. XTR chainrings don't last any longer than SLX or XT, they're just lighter. In fact, there are many who are of the opinion that they wear faster than their kid brother models.

The SLX middle ring's teeth are steel, which lasts much longer than aluminium. It makes up for the weight penalty with a low-grade carbon mounting ring.

The same goes for chains. I ride with (and know many expert-level riders who do the same) LX/105 chains, because XT or XTR simply isn't worth it for a consumable item unless you're pro and get it for free. There is absolute NO difference in performance between an LX and XTR chain, it's just a little bit heavier.

I have just purchased an XT and SLX chainset. Surprise is that they both use the same BBs and the same middle chainring. The small and large chainrings are different - that is the only reason the SLX is 40g heavier...

I have had SLX and currently on Truvativ(ones that come standard with the noir crankset). The SLX rings defnitely wear slower than the Truvativ one...especially on the the ring I use the most...middle. So the cheaper(heavier) rings defnitely last long the more expensive(lighter) ones.

I am also comparing both cranksets when the whole drivetrain was new(crankset, chain and cassette) before anybody says the test has holes in it.