What seatclamp size?

RodTi

What do you do Drongo? If you dont mind me asking? How do you fit into the bike business in Durbs.

Ovalisation is indeed a word.

Here is a suggestion. Rumble your fiets on over to a MICA hardware, they seem to stock verniers, and borrow one for 1minute - no charge.

If your local MICA is less than friendly then go to the nearest spot that sells fasteners, they REALLY should have one.

What frame is it? (should have asked that 2 hours ago :huh: )

Verniers - cool - ja, me'thinks this is all I'll probably be able to do. With the inside and outside reading, I should be able to then approximate which clamp would come closest? Remind me again - you said the seat clamp size refers to the ???? diameter of the frame?

What bike?

1994 DBR Axis TT - if you're bored :P - check out my Profile page on the Hub - it has a gallery section with the original bike review from MTB Action, and a link under the "about me" section, to an earlier post of what the bike looks like now...

Why impossible? Titanium and steel tubing is less than 1mm thick, so if the titanium frame tubing is 0.8mm thick at the seat tube then it could take a 28.6 clamp.

Am probably not explaining myself properly. A 27 or 27.2 mm OD seatpost will not fit into a 28.6mm ID seatstay tube.

.8mm Ti or steel is also a bit thin for MTB frames. Ti is usually around 1.8mm wall thickness, but can be thicker.

As RodTi says.

''Best to measure'

Why impossible? Titanium and steel tubing is less than 1mm thick, so if the titanium frame tubing is 0.8mm thick at the seat tube then it could take a 28.6 clamp.

Which is kind of what I'm wondering... it really looks kind of thin at the point where the tube slides in - but then again :blink:

...... will not fit into a 28.6mm ID seatstay tube.

You lost me, nowhere did he say the ID of his seattube is 28.6mm. But anyway, it doesn't matter, we going in circles here.

Verniers - cool - ja, me'thinks this is all I'll probably be able to do. With the inside and outside reading, I should be able to then approximate which clamp would come closest? Remind me again - you said the seat clamp size refers to the ???? diameter of the frame?

What bike?

1994 DBR Axis TT - if you're bored :P - check out my Profile page on the Hub - it has a gallery section with the original bike review from MTB Action, and a link under the "about me" section, to an earlier post of what the bike looks like now...

Take these measures.

The inside diameter at the top of the seatstay tube, and the outside diameter at the same point.

Measure the wall thickness of the tube as well.

A collared seat clamp must be turned upsidedown and measured on the INSIDE of the clamp. The collar itself will be slightly larger than the ID of the seatstay. A clamp with no collar (rare) will literally be able to slide up and down the outside of the frame without coming up against the edge of the tube.

The OD of your seatstay tube on the frame must match the ID of the inside of the clamp.

The ID of the seatstay tube must mach the OD of your seatpost.

I saw some of the Axis TT frames on retrobike (http://www.retrobike...pic.php?t=91670) are using red Salsa clamps?

So im sure it must be one of the following - 30.0, 30.6 (http://salsacycles.com/components/flip-lock/)?

Thanks Zaskar...

I've bookmared the page for future reference.

Also has my eye on a Hope clamp of CRC - they have various sizes as well - but good to have options in case Salsa proves to be closer to the money...

should be the same as the FD clamp size... in older frames at least

Shimano's tech documentation has three clamp sizes for the M960 FD - small (28,6mm), medium (31,8mm) and large (34,9mm)..

The small actually amounts to using the medium clamp size, with a rubber spacer attached between frame and clamp, to get it up from a small 28,6 to the medium 31,8mm... Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure mine is a standard medium... which suggests 31,8mm...

I'll go and have a closer look tonight - which might see me removing the FD, and checking how it's clamp would fit over the seatpost entry... :P

Thanks for the suggestions Hubbers...

Edited by RodTi

You lost me, nowhere did he say the ID of his seattube is 28.6mm. But anyway, it doesn't matter, we going in circles here.

@VELO

Had some time out here for a trot.

And whilst trotting realised that the numerical dyslexia had set in and that 28.6 and 26.8 are similar only in the value of addition! It might have had something to do with the 27mm seatpost!

My BAD :blush:

:stupid:

My humble and sincere apologies to you for any confusion or aggravation. Well taken too RodTi.

It just goes to show, working and talking is like eating and talking - spew :drool:

@RodTi

I had a '92 DBR Apex (S something) that had a 27mm post, but for the life of me cannot even remember what the clamp looked like, let alone the size.

DBR Axis might be a '94. I dont think the tubing was turned down at that stage either so I suspect that your clamp is going to be 30 to 31.8mm, so besides my stupidity I do hope the rest of the info helped.

@VELO

Had some time out here for a trot.

And whilst trotting realised that the numerical dyslexia had set in and that 28.6 and 26.8 are similar only in the value of addition! It might have had something to do with the 27mm seatpost!

My BAD :blush:

:stupid:

My humble and sincere apologies to you for any confusion or aggravation. Well taken too RodTi.

It just goes to show, working and talking is like eating and talking - spew :drool:

@RodTi

I had a '92 DBR Apex (S something) that had a 27mm post, but for the life of me cannot even remember what the clamp looked like, let alone the size.

DBR Axis might be a '94. I dont think the tubing was turned down at that stage either so I suspect that your clamp is going to be 30 to 31.8mm, so besides my stupidity I do hope the rest of the info helped.

No worries, I gathered as much. I don't think you are too far off though, I couldn't find any documented frames online that actually use a 28.6 clamp, except for old BMX bikes, so who knows.

So here be a lesson in not shopping on CRC when it's very late... :cursing:

Shortly after going through all of the above again - I made up an order on CRC, decided on going with the Hope 31.8mm (as per my FD clamp size)... and then bought/ordered the 28.6mm... :wacko:

I mean seriously, wtf?

I'm over it now - tried to cancel, but by the time I realised my error, it was already despatched.

R200 - so no biggie - will pop it up on the Hub, in the unlikely event that someone might need it, and will then send it back for an exchange...

Though - it will probably end up costing more, so might just use it as a key-chain... :whistling: