Rock Shox Sektor

Island Boy

Does anyone have any experience of this fork. I know its new/just launched.

The Coil U-turn costs about R3300 new, 110-150mm travel, 2.15kgs. Seems like a bargain!!!

Anyone know why its so cheap?

post-2797-0-97417100-1294838815.jpg

Probably a coil fork (like the Fox Vanilla series)... doesn't mean it is any worse off, on the contrary. Coil forks can sometimes deliver the most plush ride out there.

Where are you looking to purchase from, that is a bargain price!!!

Its listed as a trail fork but at 150mm travel with a 20mm bolt, its gonna be pretty beefy. At the moment I have a 130mm fork with bolt thru (32mm stanchoins as per the sektor) that is old, hence the upgrade.

Just not sure if I should outlay double the loot for a lyrik/talas. I generally ride up tokai (single track/gravel roads) and then ride down single track or downhill trails (no where near as fast as a downhiller). I hardly ever do distance riding so the weight is not that much of an issue (talas lyrik around same weight)

Anyone know of a review, couldn't find anything on the interweb. Check our buycycle.co.za for a price. My local bike shop gave me a price of R3200.

It's cheap because of its weight... The top forks weigh between 1.2 - 1.4 kgs

Dude - no way is a top u-turn fork with 110 to 150mm travel going to weigh between 1.2 and 1.4kg. In fact, the Sid XX hardly comes in under 1.4 kg, and anything lighter than that will just flex like crazy. Okay, you get carbon-lower endowed shocks, but those weigh close to 1300g and are generally found with the guys who have taken out 3 extra mortgages to finance the purchase of them. And those forks are only 100mm or 120mm travel. No way close to 150mm

In closing - it's cheaper because it's a coil fork, coming in under the air - sprung Revelation range. It's also 400g heavier than the equivalent Revelation. Looks like a killer fork, but I'd price the Revelation before committing...

Edited by cptmayhem

I see there's a Revelation for sale at R3k here on the hub... :)

I've just bought a new Fuji, came with teh Revelation. At first struggled, but now that I (think) I've got the setup right, really seems to perform very well. The Pop lock still gives about 10mm of action when activated, but this works well, and climbs like a dream. :thumbup:

I've got the setup with my + air a bit higher than the -air, and damping completely open. (I like a fast action on the front). :P

Ah, someone who wants to know something about the Sektor!

You're in luck, my brother got one in December (the Solo Air 150mm, 20mm Maxle version), and I ride a Revelation U-turn 110-140, so I can give you a direct comparison.

The Sektor's an amazing value piece of kit. Why is it cheaper than the Revelation? Two things:

1) It has slightly heavier crown and stanchion hardware.

2) It's not dual air, and it doesn't have Floodgate (for compression damping blow-through).

Otherwise, they're very, very similar. Does it feel any less plush than a Revelation? No. Is the damping any less consistent? Not discernably so, no. Does it flex more? No. Is it as adjustable? No, but just a little bit less.

Don't hesitate, get it. Seriously!

Edited by Martin Hattingh

Ah, someone who wants to know something about the Sektor!

You're in luck, my brother got one in December (the Solo Air 150mm, 20mm Maxle version), and I ride a Revelation U-turn 110-140, so I can give you a direct comparison.

The Sektor's an amazing value piece of kit. Why is it cheaper than the Revelation? Two things:

1) It has slightly heavier crown and stanchion hardware.

2) It's not dual air, and it doesn't have Floodgate (for compression damping blow-through).

Otherwise, they're very, very similar. Does it feel any less plush than a Revelation? No. Is the damping any less consistent? Not discernably so, no. Does it flex more? No. Is it as adjustable? No, but just a little bit less.

Don't hesitate, get it. Seriously!

Lekker response MH... personal experience counts!

If weight isn't an issue, and it's seriously cheaper than the Revelation, get it!

It's cheap because of its weight... The top forks weigh between 1.2 - 1.4 kgs

Not trail forks mate, racing forks like SID yeah, sektor is for your trail bike where longer travel outwheighs the weight issue. Its cheap probably because its Coil and not air.

Edited by covie

Not trail forks mate, racing forks like SID yeah, sektor is for your trail bike where longer travel outwheighs the weight issue. Its cheap probably because its Coil and not air.

Yep, but the Solo Air is only R200 more: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54613

Solo Air QR (140mm): 1837g

Solo Air Maxle (the one I was mentioning, 150mm): just under 2000g

Coil U-turn: 2108g

The QR-based Solo Air one is excellent value for money, I reckon. 1.83kg ain't bad!

I reckon I'd still go for the u-turn, eh... The ability for the user to change travel on the go (well, when they're stopped, admittedly) is a lekker feature.

Then again, the Solo Air comes with a Maxle...

I think we can all agree the price point between the two are moot, its a question of getting the air, which you can play around with pressures till you have a ride that suits your riding style. VS the coil that if it has the right inerts for your weight will be super plush.

Unless you are really too heavy for the coil tension in the fork it wont make that much of a difference.